Type of site
|Privately held company|
|Available in||22 languages|
|Industry||E-Learning, Online Education|
|Parent||Intap Labs Private Limited|
|Users||50 million (as of September 2020)|
Hello English is an English language-learning application, which allows users to learn the English language through interactive modules. It functions on a freemium pricing model. The app is available on Android, iOS, Windows and Web.
Hello English was launched in October 2014 by CultureAlley. It is an edtech startup co-founded by Nishant Patni, an alumnus of IIT Bombay and Kellogg School of Management along with Pranshu Patni, an alumnus of NMIMS, back in December 2012. It runs under Jaipur based Intap Labs Private Limited.
The platform raised $6.5 million in Series-A funding led by New York-based venture capital firm Tiger Global Management in March, 2015. The other participants included Kae Capital (led by Sasha Mirchandani), and 500 Startups, California, and angel investors - Rajan Anandan and Sunil Kalra.
The platform had previously raised an undisclosed amount of funding from Kae Capital in 2013.
The application consists of 475 interactive lessons and games associated with reading, writing, speaking, and listening and has gamification mechanics in the app. It has a bilingual dictionary, available in 22 languages.
- 2017: Number #3 Educational app on Google Play Store in India.
- 2016: Received the Most Innovative Mobile App for India award from the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- 2016: Best Apps of 2016 in 'Made in India' category by Google Play Store.
- 2015: Co-Founder of Hello English, Pranshu Patni listed as Forbes 30 under 30 achievers for creating the Hello English app.
- 2015: Number #1 Educational app on Google Play store in India.
- 2015: According to App Annie, it is the 98th most downloaded app in India on Android phones as of 8 July 2015.
- 2014: Received the Most Innovative Mobile App for India award from the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- Computer-assisted language learning
- Language education
- Language pedagogy
- List of flashcard software
- List of language self-study programs
- Julka, Harsimran (July 8, 2015). "How CultureAlley's app Hello English became number 1 on Google Play store in India in just 8 months". The Economic Times.
- Mathur, Vishal (July 8, 2015). "Apps for learning English". Livemint.
- "Innovation on the tap: Meet the winners in 9 categories of Govt's mobile app challenge". The Economic Times. 4 September 2020. Retrieved 2020-09-20. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "इन ऐप्स से आप राह चलते-चलते भी आसानी से सीख सक ते हैं अंग्रेजी, फ्री हैं उपलब्ध हैं यह सभी ऐप्स" (in Hindi). Jansatta. March 29, 2017.
- Chaudhary, Deepti (February 11, 2015). "Pranshu Patni: The dispenser of languages". Forbes India.
- "Need education system that enables thought, says Niti Aayog CEO". The Times of India. Gurugram. April 29, 2017.
- "नंबर वन ऐप बन गया भारत का हेलो इंग्लिश ऐप" (in Hindi). Navbharat Times. July 9, 2015.
- Ahaskar, Abhijit (April 11, 2017). "Apps bridging the language divide". Livemint.
- "इन ऐप्स से हफ्ते भर में सीख सकते हैं इंग्लिश, FREE में करें डाउनलोड" (in Hindi). Daily Bhaskar. July 5, 2016.
- "7 Indian EdTech Startups You Should Know About". NDTV. February 19, 2016.
- "How Two Youngsters are Helping India Learn English". NDTV. June 29, 2016.
- "जयपुर के इस Hello app ने दी whatsapp को टक्कर" (in Hindi). Punjab Kesari. July 8, 2015.
- Behl, Reemaa (July 6, 2016). "Say hello to the new way of learning English". Femina (India).
- "Company Overview of Intap Labs Pvt. Ltd". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved June 9, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sharma, Disha (October 23, 2015). "Software to stone art come together as the Pink City lures startups". VCCircle.
- "These startups are betting on 'desi ideas' to grow". Dailyhunt. February 17, 2017.
- Pai, Vivek (July 6, 2015). "CultureAlley raises $6.5M from Tiger Global, 500 Startups & KAE". MediaNama.
- Gupta, Bhawna (July 3, 2015). "Language learning startup CultureAlley raises $6.5M from Tiger Global, others". VCCircle.
- McIntyre, Kylee (November 13, 2015). "How a startup is getting India to say 'Hello English'". Techinasia.
- Velayanikal, Malavika (December 2, 2015). "10 top-funded edtech startups bucking the trend in India this year (INFOGRAPHIC)". Techinasia.
- Gulati, Sonam (May 22, 2013). "Kae Capital picks up minority stake in CultureAlley.com". VCCircle.
- "इन ऐप्स की मदद से स्मार्टफोन के जरिए सीखिए इंग्लिश" (in Hindi). Navbharat Times. March 20, 2016.
- "Android rating stats in category Education". Androidrank. Archived from the original on March 29, 2018. Retrieved June 9, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Innovative Mobile App Awards". Internet and Mobile Association of India. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017. Retrieved June 9, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Thakran, Shekhar (December 2, 2016). "Google Play Reveals 'Best of 2016' Apps, Games, Books, Movies, TV Shows". NDTV.
- Shekhar, Sidharth (December 7, 2016). "ixigo Train app Awarded the Best 'Made in India' app by Google". PCQuest.
- Ahmed, Munzir (December 28, 2016). "गूगल प्ले स्टोर से 2016 में इन एंड्रॉयड ऐप्स को सबसे ज्यादा किया गया डाउनलोड" (in Hindi). New Delhi: Aaj Tak.
- Julka, Harsimran (July 8, 2015). "Hello English number 1 app on Google Play store in India". ET Telecom.
- "IAMAI announces winners of 5th India Digital Awards". BestMediaInfo. January 16, 2015.
- "About the Nominee: Pranshu Bhandari Patni". NDTV. February 11, 2016.