Helm of Awe
The Helm of Awe or Helm of Terror (Icelandic: Ægishjálmur, Old Norse Œgishjalmr) is an Icelandic magical stave. A physical object called "Helm of Terror" is referenced as one item Sigurd takes from the dragon Fafnir's hoard after he slays him in Völsunga saga. Stanza 16 of Fáfnismál in the Poetic Edda also mentions:
- The Helm of Awe
- I wore before the sons of men
- In defense of my treasure;
- Amongst all, I alone was strong,
- I thought to myself,
- For I found no power a match for my own.
- Byock, Jesse. The Saga of the Volsungs. London: Penguin, 1999, pp. 66.
- Crawford, Jackson. The Poetic Edda. Cambridge: Hackett Publishing Company, 2015.