25 June 1913|
|Died||12 April 1977
Prien am Chiemsee, Bavaria
|Allegiance|| Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||1933–45
|Unit||SSS Gorch Fock
torpedo boat Luchs
(9 December 1940–19 March 1941)
(20 March–15 April 1941)
(22 May 1941–31 May 1943)
14th U-boat Flotilla
(15 December 1944–8 May 1945)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Helmut Möhlmann (25 June 1913 – 12 April 1977) was a German U-boat commander in World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Möhlmann joined the Reichsmarine on 1 April 1933 as an Offiziersanwärter ("Officer Candidate") as a member of "Crew 1933" (the incoming class of 1933). He served aboard the light cruiser Nürnberg, rising steadily through the junior officer ranks, and during the first months of the war sailed on patrols on the torpedo boat Luchs as Oberleutnant zur See. In April 1940 he transferred to the U-boat force.
Möhlmann made eight war patrols in U-571, in the Atlantic and the Arctic Sea, sinking seven ships totalling 47,169 gross register tons (GRT) and damaging one of 11,394 GRT. Especially successful was his fourth patrol in March–May 1942, in which during a single week he sank two ships of more than 10,000 tons. He left the U-boat in May 1943, and after a course at the Naval Academy at Berlin he served as a staff officer on the BdU in the Waffenabteilung ("Armaments Department").
In December 1944 Möhlmann was appointed commander of 14th U-boat Flotilla at Narvik, Norway, remaining there until the end of the war. He was promoted to Korvettenkapitän (corvette captain) on 1 April 1945. After the surrender he spent more than four months in captivity.
Möhlmann rejoined the military service of the post World War II Bundeswehr of the Federal Republic of Germany. He entered the Bundesmarine on 1 July 1960 holding the rank of Fregattenkapitän (frigate captain). He served as military attaché at the German Embassy in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil from 24 August 1965 to 24 November 1969. His last service position was Wehrbereichskommandant VI in Munich before retiring on 31 March 1970.
Summary of Raiding Career
|26 August 1941||Marija Uljanova||3,870||Soviet Union||Total loss|
|29 March 1942||Hertford||10,923||United Kingdom||Sunk|
|6 April 1942||Koll||10,044||Norway||Sunk|
|14 April 1942||Margaret||3,352||United States||Sunk|
|7 July 1942||Umtata||8,141||United Kingdom||Sunk|
|8 July 1942||J.A. Moffett, Jr.||9,788||United States||Total loss|
|9 July 1942||Nicholas Cuneo||1,051||Honduras||Sunk|
|15 July 1942||Pennsylvania Sun||11,394||United States||Damaged|
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award 4th Class (2 April 1937)
- Spanish Cross in Bronze without Swords (6 June 1939)
- Memel Medal (26 October 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Destroyer War Badge (20 April 1941)
- U-boat War Badge 1939 (1 December 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 16 April 1941 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-571
- War Merit Cross with Swords 2nd Class (20 April 1944)
- U-boat Front Clasp (16 September 1944)
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Korvettenkapitän Helmut Möhlmann". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote (BdU) 1935–45". u-historia.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- Busch & Röll 2003, pp. 346–347.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 345.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 346.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 313.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 547.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.