|Born||1 August 1920
|Died||12 November 1997
|Years of service||1937–45|
|Unit||5th SS Panzergrenadier Division Wiking
23rd SS Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
Iron Cross 1st Class
Iron Cross 2nd Class
Scholz was born on the 12 July 1920, at Grottkau, Upper Silesia. He volunteered to join the SS in December 1937 and was assigned to the 3rd Company, SS Standarte Germania, and transferred to the SS Standarte Der Führer, in 1938.
On 1 November 1941 he returned to the SS-Junkerschule and on 20 April 1942 made an SS-Oberjunker until June 1942 when he was promoted to Untersturmführer and given command of a platoon in the III.Btn/SS Regiment Nordland which was serving in Russia.
In 1943 he joined the 49th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment De Ruyter and in March 1944 was the commander of the 7th Company, 49th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment De Ruyter, 23rd SS Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland.
It was while in command of the 7th Company that he took part in the Battle for Narva Bridgehead defending the bridgehead against Russian attacks, that he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
In August 1944 he was given command of the Regiments II Battalion which was located to the northwest of Lake Peipus and for the Battalion's actions was awarded the Oakleaves to the Knight's Cross on 21 September 1944.
Scholz survived the war and died on the 12 November 1997, at Herne. He is survived by his daughter under the name De Waal.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 4 June 1944 as SS-Untersturmführer and leader of the 7./SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 49 "De Ruyter"[Note 1]
- 591st Oak Leaves on 21 September 1944 as SS-Obersturmführer and leader of the II./SS-Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier-Regiment 49 "De Ruyter" (niederl. Nr. 2)
- According to Scherzer as leader of the 7./SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 49 "De Ruiter" (niederl. Nr. 2).
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2300-9.