Pinheiro in July 2006
7 July 1945|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Occupation||Model and businesswoman|
At the age of 17, Pinheiro became the source of inspiration for the song "The Girl from Ipanema" when songwriters Antônio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes saw her strolling to the beach in Ipanema, her native neighbourhood in Rio de Janeiro.
Girl from Ipanema legal case
In 2001, the song's copyright owners (the heirs of the composers) sued Pinheiro for using the title of the song "Garota de Ipanema" as the name of her boutique. In their complaint, they stated that her status as the inspiration for the song did not entitle her to use the title of the song commercially.
Public support was strongly in favor of Pinheiro. A press release by the composers, Jobim and de Moraes, that named Pinheiro as the original "girl from Ipanema" ("garota de Ipanema") was cited as evidence that they had intended to bestow this title on her. The court ruled in favor of Pinheiro.
- "Biografia". helopinheiro.com.br. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- The Brazilian Sound: Samba, Bossa Nova, and the Popular Music of Brazil. Chris McGowan, Ricardo Pessanha. https://books.google.dk/books?id=7MFD-EoTR7MC&pg=PA69
- "Playboy Abril de 2003". Archived from the original on May 10, 2004.
- Broughton, Philip Delves (13 Aug 2001). "Girl from Ipanema is sued over the song she inspired". The Telegraph.
- "The Girl From Ipanema". Stan-Shepkowski.Net. Archived from the original on 16 May 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Helô Pinheiro.|
|This Brazilian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|