|Wikipedia Help Project||(Rated NA-class, Mid-importance)|
No diacritics in "defaultsort"?
Hi. I just noticed at Manuel Escórcio that de "DEFAULTSORT" is "DEFAULTSORT:Escorcio, Manuel", without the diacritic (accent mark) over the first "o". So I checked a few other names with diacritics, Lourenço (given name), "DEFAULTSORT:Lourenco (given name)" and Diogo Cão, "DEFAULTSORT:Cao, Diogo" and none Has diacritics in the DEFAULTSORT. So I presume that it is so for a reason. But, were I or anyone else unwittingly add the diacritic (making it Escório, Lourenço or Cão), what would happen? Rui ''Gabriel'' Correia (talk) 13:06, 9 March 2016 (UTC)
- Re. "what would happen": usually within some days a bot passes by and removes the diacritics.
- Re. "for a reason": the reason is the alphabetic sorting (collation) of names in categories: e.g. "Ciao" would be sorted before Cão in an automatically sorted category list, where the order, when trying to find the name, is better Cão and then Ciao. Removing the diacritic for sorting handles that. --Francis Schonken (talk) 13:40, 9 March 2016 (UTC)
Thanks, Francis Schonken and Redrose64. Really appreciated. Seldom does one get replies that fully answer the question, such that there is not even a chance of a "yes, but what if ...". Small things like this renew one's hope in the project (comment aimed primarily at the Portuguese Wikipedia). Rui ''Gabriel'' Correia (talk) 22:27, 9 March 2016 (UTC)
Passing a category by parameter
- @JennyOz: I think "passing" is correct. I've reworded the sub-heading - is that clearer? -- John of Reading (talk) 05:48, 8 April 2016 (UTC)
More on diacritics
From the article:
...MediaWiki groups accented characters separately from their unaccented version, so pages starting by À, Á, Ä, will be listed under separate headings, instead of under heading A.
This doesn't seem to be the case. It's hard to impossible to find an example in enwiki (because all pages with special characters have a DEFAULSORT with no special characters) but there are plenty of examples in other wikipedias. From ptwiki: pt:Ü shows in category pt:category:Alfabeto latino under the normal U, without creating any special heading.
Note: To confuse matters some more, there are some special letters in that same category that create a heading. That is expected and documented in (WP:SORTKEY).
- I believe that each different language has its own locally-configurable sort order. As an example, the Swedish language has an alphabet of 29 letters, ending with X, Y, Z, Å, Ä, Ö, so at Swedish Wikipedia, pages whose names begin with those three extra letters sort after Z, see Kategori:Svenska efternamn; however in the French language, there are 26 letters - Ä and Ö are not considered separate letters but accented versions of A and O, so they sort with A and O. --Redrose64 (talk) 09:10, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 27 July 2016
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
ADD Jerry R Pressley SR Army SGM retired American soldier
- Not done: this is the talk page for discussing improvements to the page Help:Category. Please make your request at the talk page for the article concerned. — JJMC89 (T·C) 03:19, 27 July 2016 (UTC)