Help talk:Email notification
|Wikipedia Help Project||(Rated NA-class, High-importance)|
|If you have questions or need help with email notifications, try the Help Desk.|
Expand to include watchlist or article history changes
- This is not the right place where to talk about it (the help page is in Meta), but anyway sure, there's already bugzilla:28026 (probably en.wiki will not be included in the first round). Nemo 09:14, 23 June 2011 (UTC)
Redundant 4-day old notices
- No idea, but this isn't a good place to ask. Try WP:Help desk or WP:VPT. Rd232 talk 23:22, 12 July 2011 (UTC)
Not working correctly
It seems the 'email user when a page on their watchlist is changed' feature has been turned on. I've got that one set to off, because it would mean getting pestered by emails too regularly, yet earlier today I received six emails notifying me of changes made to pages on my watchlist nonetheless. Anyone else been affected by this? Robofish (talk) 23:02, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
- I just got one. I've literally thousands of articles in my watchlist, so it seems to be only very rarely triggering incorrectly. --Ronz (talk) 23:24, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
- I got 2, but only 2, and that was about 4 hours ago. Many pages on my watchlist have been updated since then. I assume it was a temporary glitch. TJRC (talk) 23:31, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
- Same here. I just got two e-mail notifications (one from English wikipedia and one from German wikipedia) for pages on my watch lists, even though I have e-mail notifications turned off. Klausness (talk) 23:46, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
- It seems to have been a temporary glitch which is now fixed. See Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)/Archive 126#Watchlist notification emails. Robofish (talk) 14:48, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
Any way to tell the software "all pages have been visited"?
I have this feature turned on, but I've just noticed that I often don't get emails for changes that I'm interested in. Maybe this has to do with namespaces. I opened up this [bug report], but maybe it is because I got one notification, long ago, but failed to visit the page again. So, I'd like to know, is there any way I can "reset" the email notification flag for all the pages on my watchlist. Basically, I want the equivalent of going and visiting all those pages, so that, for any new changes, I'll get a notification. Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this question, and if not, I'd appreciate a pointer to the correct place. Klortho (talk) 01:55, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
Is email notification the default?
Quiddity, I'm hoping you might be able to answer this definitively. When a message is left on someone's talk page on the English Wikipedia, is email notification the default? Help:Email notification isn't clear. It says:
- "[Email notification] is activated on the English-language version of Wikipedia ... and can be set in the Email options part of the User Profile section of their user preferences."
That suggests that email notification is not the default. But then it says something ambiguous:
- "Notifications are enabled by default for user talk ..."
- SarahSV: These are the current default prefs for a new account on Enwiki: https://i.imgur.com/UlA9WGY.png (I didn't include an email address, when creating that test account). So yes, if the user has added an email-address to their account, and clicked the confirmation link in the first email they received, then leaving a message on their usertalkpage will definitely send them an email. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 19:28, 4 December 2015 (UTC)