The Helpmann Academy was formed in 1994 as a partnership of the major tertiary arts training institutions in South Australia. It brings together the skills and resources of South Australia's universities and TAFE SA, with courses in music, dance, drama, directing, visual arts, technical theatre production and design. It is named in honour of Sir Robert Helpmann, a famous Australian dancer.
- 1 Governance
- 2 Funding
- 3 Overseas connections
- 4 Partners
- 5 Courses
- 6 External links
The Academy's Board of Governors consists of Vice Chancellors from South Australia's three universities, the Chief Executive of the South Australian Government Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology (DFEEST), or their delegates, and leading representatives of the arts and business sectors.
The Academy is funded by the government via each university and institution contributing an equal amount of money,and by the Helmann Foundation Board which sources money via philanthropic arts supporters . The main sources of its funding is via mentorships and one major function "Maestroes and apprentices" held annually .
The Academy schools have strong links with overseas arts institutions, exchanges take place in the visual arts, drama, dance and music with New Zealand, United States of America, Indonesia, Japan, China, and Europe. Visits by performers and artists from around the world are encouraged.
- TAFE SA
- Flinders University Drama Centre
- University of Adelaide Elder School of Music
- University of South Australia South Australian School of Art
- Adelaide Central School of Art an Affiliate Member:.
Adelaide Centre for the ARTS, TAFE SA
- Advanced Diploma
- Technical Production and Design for the Stage
- Bachelor of Dance Performance
- Certificate to Bachelor's degree courses in Visual Art and Applied Design
VizArts, O'Halloran Hill Campus, TAFE SA
Certificate to bachelor's degree in Visual Art and Applied Design.
Flinders University The Drama Centre
- Bachelor's degree and Honours Degree
University of Adelaide The Elder School of Music
Previously The Elder Conservatorium and Flinders Street School of Music
University of South Australia South Australian School of Art
- Bachelor's degrees to Doctorate in Visual Arts and Design
Adelaide Central School of Art
A private provider and an affiliate member of the Academy
- Associate Degree of Visual Art, Bachelor of Visual Art & Bachelor of Visual Art (Hons) plus non-award studies (at Summer and Winter Schools, seminars, lectures, master classes and exhibitions)
Helpmann Academy's Partners
- The Elder School of Music - University of Adelaide
- South Australian School of Art - University of SA
- Adelaide Centre for the ARTS - Adelaide Institute of TAFE
- Adelaide Central School of Art
- Drama Centre - Flinders University
- VizArts - Onkaparinga Institute of TAFE, O'Halloran Hill Campus