Helpmann Award for Best Male Actor in a Play
The Helpmann Award for Best Male Actor in a Play is an award presented by Live Performance Australia (LPA) (the trade name for the Australian Entertainment Industry Association (AEIA)), an employers' organisation which serves as the peak body in the live entertainment and performing arts industries in Australia. The accolade is handed out at the annual Helpmann Awards, which celebrates achievements in musical theatre, contemporary music, comedy, opera, classical music, theatre, dance and physical theatre.
In the following list winners are listed first and marked in gold, in boldface, and the nominees are listed below with no highlight.
Winners and nominees
- A^ : The character in The Christian Brothers is known as the "unnamed elderly Christian Brothers’ teacher"
- B^ : In The Blue Room Marcus Graham portrayed the male characters: Fred, Anton, Charles, Robert, Malcolm.
- C^ : Gulpilil is an autobiographical stage production, where David Gulpilil played himself.
- D^ : Macbeth was performed by Stephen Dillane as a one man show, who portrayed over thirty of the characters in the play.
- E^ : Jefferson Mays portrayed an additional forty characters in I Am My Own Wife.
- F^ : The character in The Tell-Tale Heart does not have a name.
- G^ : Robert Menzies' character in The End doesn't have a name and is known simply as Dying Man.
- H^ : Lucas Stibbard plays the lead roles of Thomas and Alethea, and various other characters in Boy Girl Wall.
- "Helpmann Awards - About". Helpmann Awards. Live Performance Australia (LPA). Archived from the original on 12 January 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- "Nominees". Helpmann Awards. Live Performance Australia. Archived from the original on 6 December 2008. Retrieved 2011-010-03. Check date values in:
- "Pandora Archive 2001 Helpmann Awards Nominees". Australian Entertainment Industry Association (AEIA). Pandora Archive. Archived from the original on 18 July 2003. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- Erika Zimmer (26 October 2001). "Remembered horrors of a religious education". World Socialist Web Site. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Sigrid Thornton - The Blue Room". SigridThornton.com. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "David Gulpilil - Biography". DavidGulpilil.com. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Rebecca Baillie (16 February 2002). "One-man Macbeth divides audience". ABC Online. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "I Am My Own Wife - Who's Who". IAmMyOwnWife.com. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Bron Batten (21 November 2010). "The Tell-Tale Heart – Malthouse Theatre". Australian Stage Online. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Jason Blake (20 April 2010). "The End". Smh.com.au. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Bree Hadley (16 September 2011). "Boy Girl Wall 4 Lucas Stibbard". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 6 October 2011.