Helton with Porto in 2013
|Full name||Helton da Silva Arruda|
|Date of birth||18 May 1978|
|Place of birth||São Gonçalo, Brazil|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|1995–1999||Vasco da Gama|
|1999–2002||Vasco da Gama||52||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
Born in São Gonçalo, Rio de Janeiro, Helton emerged through CR Vasco da Gama's youth system. He first attracted attention after winning the Brazilian League and the Mercosur Cup with the club in 2000.
União de Leiria
In 2002, Helton's contract with Vasco expired and he signed with Portuguese club U.D. Leiria. He made his official debut on 9 March 2003 in a 3–1 home win against Académica de Coimbra for the domestic cup, and backed up Paulo Costinha in his first season.
It seemed that Helton was destined to spend a long time bench-warming, as Porto legend Vítor Baía barred his way into the first team. However, he got his chance sooner than expected when Dutch coach Co Adriaanse summarily dropped Baía after a mistake against C.F. Estrela da Amadora cost the team a goal and a 1–2 away defeat, on 15 January 2006.
Helton continued to be an undisputed starter for Porto in the following years, as Porto won four consecutive league championships. In 2008–09's Portuguese Cup, however, he stayed on the bench as Nuno Espírito Santo was the starter for the eventual winners.
Helton was again first-choice in the following two seasons, appearing in 49 league games combined as his team won six major titles. On 18 May 2011 he celebrated his 33rd birthday by keeping a clean sheet in the UEFA Europa League final, in a 1–0 win against fellow league side S.C. Braga; following the departure of Lucho González for Olympique de Marseille in the 2009 summer, he was also appointed team captain.
Helton played 30 league contests in the 2012–13 campaign, for his seventh league conquest. On 16 March 2014, however, the 35-year-old suffered an Achilles tendon injury to his right leg during a 0–1 loss at Sporting Clube de Portugal, being sidelined for several months.
On 17 February 2014, Helton was condemned to pay a €60,000 fine for beating two stewards at the Estádio da Luz, following a tunnel brawl during the 0–1 away league loss against S.L. Benfica on 20 December 2009.
After competing at the 1997 FIFA World Youth Championship, Helton was a member of the Brazilian team at the 2000 Summer Olympics. He appeared in all four matches, before the nation was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Cameroon.
Helton received his first callup to the main side in October 2006, starting in an unofficial exhibition game against Kuwait club Al Kuwait Kaifan on 7 October 2006. His official debut came on 15 November of the same year, starting in a friendly with Switzerland.
- Brazilian League: 2000
- Mercosur Cup: 2000
- Guanabara Cup: 2000
- Rio Cup: 2001
- Rio de Janeiro State League: 1998
- UEFA Europa League: 2010–11
- Primeira Liga (7): 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
- Taça de Portugal: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira (6): 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- UEFA Super Cup: Runner-up 2011
- Taça da Liga: Runner-up 2012–13
- As of 3 January 2014
|Vasco da Gama||1999||0||0||0||0||0||0||8||11|
- Helton em baía segura (Helton on a safe bay); Record, 20 February 2006 (Portuguese)
- Baía e mais 10 (Baía and 10 more); Record, 5 May 2006 (Portuguese)
- Falcao heads Porto to Europa League glory; UEFA.com, 18 May 2011
- Helton: a braçadeira como prémio em troca da baliza inviolada (Helton: armband the award in return for no goals allowed); Mais Futebol, 24 August 2010 (Portuguese)
- Helton vai ser operado e pára vários meses (Helton to undergo surgery and stop several months); Record, 17 March 2014 (Portuguese)
- "Futebolistas do FC Porto condenados no caso do túnel da Luz" [FC Porto footballers condemned in tunnel of Luz case] (in Portuguese). Expresso. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "FC Porto: jogadores condenados no caso do "túnel da Luz"" [FC Porto: players condemned in the "tunnel of Light" case] (in Portuguese). Relvado. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Túnel da Luz. Futebolistas condenados a indemnizar "stewards"" [Tunnel of Light. Footballers condemned to compensate stewards] (in Portuguese). iOnline. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Helton". Soccerway. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Porto official profile (Portuguese)
- Helton at footballzz.co.uk
- Helton profile at ForaDeJogo
- Helton at National-Football-Teams.com
- Helton – FIFA competition record