|Vice President, SAARCLAW Apex Body of SAARC, Law & Public Policy Columnist, writer, author, Commentator, Public Speaker, Lawyer and TV anchor/Host|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Justice Tshering Wangchuk, Chief Justice of Bhutan|
|Born||15 August 1967|
|Spouse(s)||Preeti Wahi Batra|
|Residence||Gurgaon, Delhi NCR, and New Delhi|
|Alma mater||GMHS 16, Chandigarh|
Punjab University, Chandigarh
|Profession||Sr Lawyer and Public Policy Advocate|
Hemant Batra (born 15 August 1967) is an Indian business, public policy, corporate and commercial law newspaper – columnist writer author, TV anchor/Host, public speaker, commentator (law & public policy), mentor, lawyer and arguing counsel. He was the co-founder and counsel at Kaden Boriss Global, an alliance and forum of independent and autonomous law firms and legal enterprises. Hemant holds a position as the Secretary General of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law). SAARCLAW is a regional Apex body of SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation). He has also authored several books on law and policy. He was engaged by the Lok Sabha as a Guest Anchor and Guide for a fresh series of Sansad TV called `75 Years: Laws That Shaped India' The other Guest Anchors engaged by the Parliament for Sansad TV being Bibek Debroy, Dr Karan Singh, Amitabh Kant, Shashi Tharoor, Maroof Raza and Sanjeev Sanyal. The global TV channel Sansad TV was launched by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi, Vice President of India Venkaiah Naidu and Speaker of Lok Sabha Om Birla on 15 September 2021.
Hemant Batra withdrew from all active roles in Kaden Boriss law firm in 2015 and formally quit the law firm in 2016. He now independently practises law as an arguing Counsel in the Indian Supreme Court and Delhi High Court. He is seen now in the roles of arbitrator, mediator, conciliator, tutor of law and public policy. He is authoring books for Eastern Book Company.
Kaden Boriss partnered with I-Inspire 2013, a national conference for women leaders, aiming to be a confluence of ideas, a convergence of thoughts and celebration of the spirit of diversity and entrepreneurship. He is also the chairperson of the Organizing Council of International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM) and member of the advisory board of the Organisation for International Cooperation (OIC) based in New Jersey, US. IICLAM is a joint initiative of Kaden Boriss, National University of Singapore (NUS) and Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Singapore. He is a recipient of the Mahatma Gandhi Seva Medal. Batra took over as the chairman of the panel of jury for the grant of Aces Awards for Corporate Excellence and Sustainability in Asia.
"We are committed to social justice and can play a key role in encouraging legal reforms and disseminating information on progressive decisions, related to human rights, across the legal community in South Asia," says Hemant Batra on the UNDP website.
Batra joined the advisory board of the pivotals, the first ever stakeholders engagement platform. In his role as a policy specialist and global business lawyer, he was invited to join the leadership team of a well known not for profit organization called Goeman Bind HTO.
He established his music label called Urf Hekbat to accomplish his passion of playing, composing and arranging lounge and new age music. This fact was disclosed by him in an interview given to a well-known lawyers monthly magazine. He is also a sound recording artist.
Law and policy facet
Batra is associated with National Law University, Delhi. Batra presented a paper on issues connected with WTO at the 10th SAARCLAW Conference held at Karachi on the theme, "Leap Forward – Next Generation Laws". 20 February 2004 The first annual Asia Entrepreneurship Forum (AEF), organised by Enterprise Asia kicked off on 19 September 2012. Five hundred of the region's leading business leaders and industry thought leaders gathered in Macau, one of Asia's fastest growing cities to discuss the future of entrepreneurship in Asia. Hemant K. Batra, Secretary General at SAARCLAW spoke on legal and regulatory issues in mergers and acquisitions deals.
Though not as a Secretary-General of SAARCLAW but taking advantage of his standing in South Asia including Pakistan, he took up the issue of grant of mercy to the Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh (now deceased). Batra has done substantial work for ensuring legal rights of people living with HIV and key populations at higher risk of exposure to HIV.
Considered as one of the prominent authorities on cross-border issues connected with the legal profession, he was invited by the Harvard Law School to share his thoughts with senior students on the Future Market for Corporate Legal Services in India.
He has always mooted for opening up of the legal profession in India be it allowing foreign lawyers as well as showcasing. According to him medicine and law were once on the same footing as "noble professions" and as the corporatization of the medical profession has been permitted, the restrictions on lawyers are unjustified. These views were expressed by him to the Live Mint and the Wall Street Journal.
He recently mooted the idea of large scale repeal of laws. He supported and complimented the landmark initiative taken by the Narendra Modi Government in India in repealing obsolete laws. He also emphasized that repeal of laws is as significant as the passage of new laws. He was one of the first set of legal experts who covered the legal aspects connected with Coronavirus or COVID-19.
As Chairman of the Jury, Batra has propagated a policy change in the way businesses are run and managed. According to him, a successful business goes beyond money-making. Societal responsibilities are key to successful businesses.
He highlighted and favoured the policy of Narendra Modi BJP Government in India regarding the enhancement of traffic violation fines. A public policy expert and commentator Hemant Batra opines that Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 is a phenomenal economic law and public policy reform of the last decade, which provided a revolutionary shift of earlier law from a defaulting debtor controlling assets until resolution or liquidation, to the creditors in command of the NPAs during resolution or liquidation. Further under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, a new route to M&A has emerged. The distressed assets are the new targets for bigger companies planning to grow through the organic route. This is according to Batra.
Origin and background
Hemant was born in Hisar located in the Indian state of Haryana, to Veena Batra and G.L Batra who was the Additional Secretary in the Indian parliament and Chairman of the Haryana State Public Service Commission. In 1988 he graduated with bachelor's degree in Humanities and in 1991 received his Bachelor of Law degree from Chandigarh Law faculty in Panjab University. Hemant Batra and his wife Preeti Wahi Batra, who is also a prominent commercial lawyer were interviewed by a leading international business magazine Outlook Money regarding changing trends in investing for the future of one's child. They have two children . Hemant has a fetish for electronic gadgets and changes them every six months.
Legal and socio-economic pathways
Hemant started his law practice in the year 1991 with Solicitors – Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co. Four years later he joined Kesar Dass B. & Associates and by year 2000 became a managing partner of its corporate office. In 2003, he founded an independent international law firm named Kaden Boriss Legal. Kaden Boriss then became an alliance and network of independent/autonomous member law firms located in India, Australia and UAE. Each member firm and office having no financial relation with another. A prominent Australian law firm LBR Legal merged its practice with Batra's law firm Kaden Boriss in 2010 when the Managing Partner of LBR Sunil Lal said that 'if you can't beat Indians then best way is to join them'.
Hemant has worked with many multinational firms such as Bayer, Suzuki, LG, Philip Morris (JV), Coca-Cola, Accor, Findel, AMEX, Western Union, ABB and Knight Frank. He has also been an advisor for various former Chief Justices of India, Senior Counsels and Members of the Indian Parliament. On the social front Hemant associated with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UNAIDS, and the World Bank by venturing into a very sensitive zone thereby discussing Human Rights Challenges Faced by Key Populations at Higher Risk of HIV. He has always propagated the idea of Parents respecting the sexual preferences of their kids. People find themselves so busy these days that they only have vague succession plans with no documentation. But irrespective of age (everyone) needs to keep his or her succession planning ready as death always comes unannounced, propagates Hemant Batra. Recently, one eminent lawyer from Cornell described Hemant as one of the best brains in the corporate transactional legal work.
He is Goodwill Ambassador to the World NGO Day, headquartered in London. The World NGO Day is an international calendar day held on 27 February every year. For stronger, better & more effective civil society worldwide through an international annual calendar day for NGOs, NPOs and CSOs. WND Secretariat and SAARCLAW have entered into an MoU on 24 February 2012 to promote objectives of their respective organizations and also expand NGO horizons in India and the SAARC region.
Hemant Batra as the Chairman of the prestigious panel of jury for the grant of Aces Awards for Corporate Excellence and Sustainability in Asia promoted the concept of excellence and sustainability in the corporate world terming it as integral part of good governance. He has started propagating that the concept of corporate governance does not merely relate to management of the companies but also excellence and sustainability. He heads the prominent jury in Asia, which identifies global business leaders who have shown signs of good governance.
It is noticed that Hemant has been unnecessarily critical of newer legislation and even verdicts passed by courts of law. As Secretary General of SAARCLAW, he made a controversial public statement that in south Asian region the parliamentarians were not able to meet up expectations of their people.
He made a controversial statement in a leading English newspaper The Tribune by expressing concern over the alleged ill-treatment of Mr Justice Rana Bhagwandas, the first Hindu to be appointed Acting Chief Justice of Pakistan, and his family members by immigration authorities at the Wagah border on 29 March 2006. He also released a very controversial report in collaboration with UNDP seeking stronger legal protection for women in health care settings. The report reflects many gaps in-laws in South Asia and is very women-specific and specific gender-based thereby creating complete dissension amongst gender. This report has come under heavy criticism for being lope sided.
Batra just wants to be in news by speaking on contentious and critically controversial issues. In 2007, he had made a sweeping allegation against residents of big cities stating that they had a load of unaccounted cash monies which they were investing in far off agriculture lands located in remote states. He said that their motive was to eventually blend their black monies with agricultural income. He branded such people as money launderers. Batra was also quoted in The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting for having said that "India is today the most isolated country within its region." This definitely was a strong comment against India's foreign policy.
During the 10th SAARC Chief Justices Conference, Hemant Batra made a sweeping statement regarding SAARCLAW's landmark achievement in getting 1 Million US$ grant from Asian Development Bank. Some delegates from Bangladesh were critical of SAARCLAW getting into a subordinate position to ADB because of this grant.
He recently supported the move by Narendra Modi BJP Government in India regarding massive enhancement in fines and penalties related to traffic violations. Whereas generally in India people have been opposed to such arbitrary enhancement on the grounds that India is a developing country and this new measure will lead to more corruption on the Indian streets. Batra on the contrary supports BJP Government on the ground that even the neighbouring country Sri Lanka has enhanced penalties almost ten folds.
- Elected Vice President of SAARCLAW (2016–2018)
- Re elected Secretary General of SAARCLAW (2014–2016)
- Elected Secretary General of SAARCLAW (2011–2013)
- Vice President of SAARCLAW (2008–2010)
- Founder of AKNOI
- Chairperson of IICLAM
- Expert-Observer for a hearing of the United Nation's Global Commission on HIV and the Law
- Member of the Advisory Board of Organization for International Cooperation (OIC)
- Member of the leadership programme committee of ICAAP11
- Chairman of the panel of Jury of prestigious Asia Corporate Excellence & Sustainability Awards (ACES)
- Active Elected Member of Union of International Associations (UIA)
- Law & Policy Specialist in Goeman Bind HTO, Think Tank
- "South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law". Saarclaw. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Kaden Boriss promotes 4 to managing partner, as ex-MP Hemant Batra takes a step back". www.legallyindia.com.
- "Gift Of Annuity: A Truth For Every Professional?". www.outlookindia.com/outlookmoney/.
- Service, Tribune News. "'Person of eminence' tag on FB for convict Ajay Chautala". Tribuneindia News Service.
- Outreach, Rounak Biswas, Associate. "Hemant Batra, Founder, Kaden Boriss Global, on working at AMSS and the UN, and his diverse experience – SuperLawyer – share your career experience and professional insights with law students and lawyers". superlawyer.in. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Mr Hemant K Batra Lead Partner Kaden Boriss Legal LLP, National Capital Region – Lawyer Biography". International Law Office. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Law firms find loopholes to promote their services". Livemint. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- aknoi tm (16 May 2009). "CNBC TV 18 Expert Corporate Lawyer Hemant K Batra From Kaden Boriss India speaks on Satyam Scam" (YouTube). Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Due Diligence – EBC Webstore". www.ebcwebstore.com.
- Batra, Hemant K. (24 September 2017). SAARC and SAARCLAW. ISBN 978-1790235124.
- "SAARC & SAARCLAW | Pothi.com" – via store.pothi.com.
- "Leadership Programme Committee". Icaap11.org. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Nouvelle en détail". Idlo.int. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "SAARCLAW has new Secretary General The SAARCLAW Executive Council (EXCO), the international governing body of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association For Regional Co-operation in Law) elected Hemant Batra its Vice President, as the new Secretary General (SG) of SAARCLAW. He has been the incumbent Vice President of SAARCLAW since 2007 and his name was proposed by Pakistan and seconded by Bhutan/India. He takes over from the current incumbent Tania Amir ul Islam, a renowned barrister and constitutional expert from Bangladesh". Epaper.timesofindia.com. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Nouvelle en détail". Idlo.int. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Corporate lawyer Hemant Batra from Kaden Boris speaks on Satyam Scam". CNBC.
- "Hemant Batra speaks on Satyam Scam and Maytas Fraud". Zee Business.
- "Core Team Members". One Only Nature Endures. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Apex and recognized bodies".
- "L'OIDD SIGNE UN PROTOCOLE D'ENTENTE AVEC SAARCLAW".
- NETWORK, LIVELAW NEWS (12 November 2019). "[Law Firms] Interview With Advocate Lawyer Hemant Batra". www.livelaw.in.
- "Paytm named in online fraud case, officials move HC to quash FIR". Hindustan Times. 21 February 2020.
- "2nd International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM)". Siac.org.sg. 14 September 2008. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Organization for International Cooperation" (PDF). 14 January 2012. Cite journal requires
- organizer (28 July 2011). "International Infrastructure and Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM)". Mootcourt.in. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Law, Amity (16 July 2012). "Amity Law School, Noida: 5th International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitrationn Moot (IICLAM) 2012". Amitylawschool.blogspot.in. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Sopori receives Mahatma Gandhi Seva Medal 2020". www.journeyline.in.
- "Business leaders go places with Asia Corporate Excellence & Sustainability Awards (ACES) 2019". 22 September 2019.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Focus on corporate sustainability at inaugural ACES Awards". thejakartapost.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2020.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Report urges stronger legal protections for women and girls affected by HIV in health care settings". UNDP. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Business News, India Stock Market, Personal Finance, IPO, Financial News Headlines – The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- ANI (22 June 2017). "Policy specialist, global business lawyer Hemant Batra joins leadership, expert team of not-for-profit Goeman Bind HTO". Business Standard. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Global business lawyer Hemant Batra joins leadership team of not-for-profit Goeman Bind HTO". www.globallegalpost.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Hemant-batra-joins-Bind-HTO @ 6/22/2017 3:45:20 PM – Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dnaindia.com. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- Face to Face with Insight (Law and Policy). 21 November 2018. ISBN 978-1790147250.
- HTO, Goeman Bind (21 November 2018). "FACE TO FACE WITH INSIGHT". Goeman Bind HTO – via Amazon.
- "UIA – Union of International Associations". uia.org. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Active Membership – Union of International Associations". uia.org. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Legal EVENT – International Conference on Access to Legal Information & Research in Digital Age – LU APRIL 2012". Lawyersupdate.co.in. 2 March 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "The World Trade Review". The World Trade Review. 15 March 2004. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "ONLINE – International News Network". Onlinenews.com.pk. 31 January 2004. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Ignite Media Group | News, Initiatives and Partnerships". Igniteasia.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "AEF 2012 – Macau". Enterpriseasia.org. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Macau.com". Macau.com. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India – Punjab". Tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "South Asian Legal Fraternity and Communities gather to discuss Human Rights Challenges Faced by Key Populations at Higher Risk of HIV, Kathmandu, Nepal, 8–10 November 2011". hivlawcommission.org. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Sachin Pilot To Address Conference Organised By Isb And Harvard Law School – Core Sector Communique". Corecommunique.com. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Exclusive: Former SC judge pitched for ex-IPL czar Lalit Modi extend his stay in UK". India Today. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Swaraj, Ambani, NCP leaders, ex-SC judge in Lalit Modi imbroglio – Tehelka Web Desk – Tehelka – Investigations, Latest News, Politics, Analysis, Blogs, Culture, Photos, Videos, Podcasts". www.tehelka.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Laws must reflect needs of modern society: Justice AP Shah – Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dnaindia.com. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Does Coronavirus outbreak qualify as a Force Majeure event?". 26 February 2020.
- "Singapore, Japan, Korea stricter on traffic rule violations than India". 8 September 2019.
- "Parliament of India".
- "Hemant Batra Profile". saarclaw.org.
- "business.outlookindia.com |". Outlookmoney.com. 25 February 2009. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "I change gadgets every six months". Business Standard. 28 February 2009. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Delegating authority via power of attorney". Expressindia.indianexpress.com. 25 July 1997. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Advisory council". India Law Journal.
- Gorman, Brigid O (17 October 2013). "Aus-Indian firm opens Brisbane office". lawyersweekly.com.au. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Kaden Boriss – Asia Today International – Reporting the Business that Matters in Asia". asiatoday.com.au. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Profile of speakers". enterpriseasia.org.
- "news_20111109". Asia-pacific.undp.org. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- PTI (19 September 2009). "Parents spy on kids to know their sexual preferences". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Jain, Teena (19 February 2007). "Where there's a will". Livemint. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- https://freeexpression.in/2015/12/interview-with-mr-aditya-shankar/[permanent dead link]
- "World NGO Day". World NGO Day. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "World NGO Day: South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law (SAARCLAW) enters into an MoU with World NGO Day Secretariat (WND), London". Worldngoday.blogspot.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India – Haryana". www.tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Tribune India Haryana Edition epaper dated Wed, 14 May 14". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Indonesia's Best Corporate Companies Won The Prestigious ACES Awards 2014 – Jakarta Globe". beritasatu.com. 28 November 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Celebrating Asia's finest leaders". businesstimes.com.sg. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "No Act of Corporate Democracy | Arindam Mukherjee". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Nineteen For Him". outlookindia.com. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- Defox says. "SAARC Chief Justices' Conference and 12th SAARCLAW Conference in Thimphu – The Bhutanese". Thebhutanese.bt. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "Money launderers turning to farmland – Print View". Livemint. 28 March 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- "India: Fractured Democracy". pulitzercenter.org. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "purbelinews". purbelinews.net. Archived from the original on 8 March 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Leading Indian lawyer, Hemant Batra appointed new Secretary General for SAARCLAW". Cite journal requires
- "UNAIDS UNESCAP & SAARCLAW Hemant Batra Steve Kraus Nanda Kaririks". FirstPost.
- "Advisory board of OIC". OICWorldpeace.org.
- "Insights from ACES jury panel". businesstimes.com.sg. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Hemas wins Grand Award for Asia's Most Socially Responsible Company of the Year | Daily FT". www.ft.lk.
- "Policy Specialist & Global Business Lawyer Hemant Batra Join". telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.