Hemant K. Batra
|Vice President, SAARCLAW Apex Body of SAARC & Founder Chairman, Kaden Boriss Global|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Justice Tshering Wangchuk, Chief Justice of Bhutan|
|Born||15 August 1967|
Hisar, Haryana, India
|Spouse(s)||Preeti Wahi Batra|
|Children||son and daughter|
|Residence||Gurgaon, Delhi NCR, Hisar and New Delhi|
|Alma mater||GMHS 16, Chandigarh|
Punjab University, Chandigarh
Hemant K. Batra (born 15 August 1967) is an Indian business, corporate and commercial lawyer. He is the founder and chairman of Kaden Boriss Global, a legal and business strategist organization of global law firms and offices, founded in 2003 by Hemant Batra and Preeti Batra.. he has also authored several books on law and policy.
Kaden Boriss partnered with I-Inspire 2013, a national conference for women leaders, aiming to be a confluence of ideas, a convergence of thoughts and celebration of the spirit of diversity and entrepreneurship. Hemant holds a position as the Secretary General of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law). SAARCLAW is a regional Apex body of SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation). He is also the chairperson of the Organizing Council of International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM) and member of the advisory board of the Organisation for International Cooperation (OIC) based in New Jersey, US. IICLAM is a joint initiative of Kaden Boriss, National University of Singapore (NUS) and Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Singapore. He is a recipient of the Mahatma Gandhi Seva Medal. Batra took over as the chairman of the panel of jury for the grant of Aces Awards for Corporate Excellence and Sustainability in Asia.
"We are committed to social justice and can play a key role in encouraging legal reforms and disseminating information on progressive decisions, related to human rights, across the legal community in South Asia," says Hemant Batra on UNDP website.
Batra joined the advisory board of the pivotals, the first ever stakeholders engagement platform. In his role as a policy specialist and global business lawyer, he was invited to join the leadership team of a well known not for profit organization called Goeman Bind HTO.
He established his music label called Urf Hekbat to accomplish his passion of playing, composing and arranging lounge and new age music. This fact was disclosed by him in an interview given to a well known lawyers monthly magazine. He is also a sound recording artist.
Law and policy facet
Batra is associated with National Law University, Delhi. Batra presented a paper on issues connected with WTO at the 10th SAARCLAW Conference held at Karachi on the theme, "Leap Forward - Next Generation Laws". 20 February 2004 The first annual Asia Entrepreneurship Forum (AEF), organised by Enterprise Asia kicked off on 19 September 2012. Five hundred of the region’s leading business leaders and industry thought leaders gathered in Macau, one of Asia’s fastest growing cities to discuss the future of entrepreneurship in Asia. Hemant K. Batra, Executive Managing Partner, Kaden Boriss, Secretary General at SAARCLAW spoke on legal and regulatory issues in mergers and acquisitions deals.
Though not as a Secretary General of SAARCLAW but taking advantage of his standing in South Asia including Pakistan, he took up the issue of grant of mercy to the Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh (now deceased). Batra has done substantial work for ensuring legal rights of people living with HIV and key populations at higher risk of exposure to HIV.
Considered as one of the prominent authorities on cross-border issues connected with legal profession, he was invited by the Harvard Law School to share his thoughts with senior students on the Future Market for Corporate Legal Services in India.
He has always mooted for opening up of the legal profession in India be it allowing foreign lawyers as well as showcasing. According to him medicine and law were once on the same footing as "noble professions" and as the corporatization of the medical profession has been permitted, the restrictions on lawyers are unjustified. These views were expressed by him to the Live Mint and the Wall Street Journal.
He recently mooted the idea of large scale repeal of laws. He supported and complimented the landmark initiative taken by the Narendra Modi Government in India in repealing obsolete laws. He also emphasized that repeal of laws is as significant as the passage of new laws.
As Chairman of the Jury, Batra has propagated a policy change in the way businesses are run and managed. According to him a successful business goes beyound money making. Societal responsibilities are key to successful businesses.
Origin and background
Hemant was born in Hisar located in the Indian state of Haryana, to Veena Batra and G.L Batra who was the Additional Secretary in the Indian parliament and Chairman of the Haryana State Public Service Commission. In 1988 he graduated with bachelor's degree in Humanities and in 1991 received his Bachelor of Law degree from Chandigarh Law faculty in Panjab University. Hemant Batra and his wife Preeti Wahi Batra, who is also a prominent commercial lawyer were interviewed by a leading international business magazine Outlook Money regarding changing trends in investing for the future of one's child. They have two children . Hemant has a fetish for electronic gadgets and changes them every six months.
Legal and socio-economic pathways
Hemant started his law practice in the year 1991 with Solicitors - Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co. Four years later he joined Kesar Dass B. & Associates and by year 2000 became a managing partner of its corporate office. In 2006, he founded an international law firm named Käden Boriss Legal. Kaden Boriss is a legal and business strategist firm with offices in India, Australia and UAE. A prominent Australian law firm LBR Legal merged its practice with Batra's law firm Kaden Boriss in 2010 when the Managing Partner of LBR Sunil Lal said that `if you can't beat Indians then best way is to join them'.
Hemant has worked with many multinational firms such as Bayer, Suzuki, LG, Philip Morris (JV), Coca-Cola, Accor, Findel, AMEX, Western Union, ABB and Knight Frank. He has also been an advisor for various former Chief Justices of India, Senior Counsels and Members of the Indian Parliament. On the social front Hemant associated with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), UNAIDS, and the World Bank by venturing into a very sensitive zone thereby discussing Human Rights Challenges Faced by Key Populations at Higher Risk of HIV. He has always propagated the idea of Parents respecting the sexual preferences of their kids. People find themselves so busy these days that they only have vague succession plans with no documentation. But irrespective of age (everyone) needs to keep his or her succession planning ready as death always comes unannounced, propagates Hemant Batra. Recently, one eminent lawyer from Cornell described Hemant as one of the best brains in the corporate transactional legal work.
He is Goodwill Ambassador to the World NGO Day, headquartered in London.The World NGO Day is an international calendar day held on 27 February every year. For stronger, better & more effective civil society worldwide through an international annual calendar day for NGOs, NPOs and CSOs. WND Secretariat and SAARCLAW have entered into an MoU on 24 February 2012 to promote objectives of their respective organizations and also expand NGO horizons in India and the SAARC region.
Hemant Batra as the Chairman of the prestigious panel of jury for the grant of Aces Awards for Corporate Excellence and Sustainability in Asia promoted the concept of excellence and sustainability in the corporate world terming it as integral part of good governance. He has started propogating that the concept of corporate governance does not merely relate to management of the companies but also excellence and sustainability. He heads the prominent jury in Asia, which identifies global business leaders who have shown signs of good govenance.
It is noticed that Hemant has been unnecessarily critical of newer legislation and even verdicts passed by courts of law. As Secretary General of SAARCLAW, he made a controversial public statement that in south Asian region the parliamentarians were not able to meet up expectations of their people.
He made a controversial statement in a leading English news paper The Tribune by expressing concern over the alleged ill-treatment of Mr Justice Rana Bhagwandas, the first Hindu to be appointed Acting Chief Justice of Pakistan, and his family members by immigration authorities at the Wagah border on March 29, 2006. He also released a very controversial report in collaboration with UNDP seeking stronger legal protection for women in health care settings. The report reflects many gaps in laws in South Asia and is very women specific and specific gender based thereby creating complete dissension amongst gender. This report has come under heavy criticism for being lope sided.
Batra just wants to be in news by speaking on contentious and critically controversial issues. In 2007, he had made a sweeping allegation against residents of big cities stating that they had load of unaccounted cash monies which they were investing in far off agriculture lands located in remote states. He said that their motive was to eventually blend their black monies with agriculture income. He branded such people as money launderers. Batra was also quoted in The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting for having said that "India is today the most isolated country within its region." This definitely was strong comment against India's foreign policy.
During the 10th SAARC Chief Justices Conference, Hemant Batra made a sweeping statement regarding SAARCLAW's landmark achievement in getting 1 Million US$ grant from Asian Development Bank. Some delegates from Bangladesh were critical of SAARCLAW getting into a subordinate position to ADB because of this grant.
- Elected Vice President of SAARCLAW (2016-2018)
- Re elected Secretary General of SAARCLAW (2014-2016)
- Elected Secretary General of SAARCLAW (2011-2013)
- Vice President of SAARCLAW (2008-2010)
- Founder of AKNOI
- Chairperson of IICLAM
- Goodwill Ambassador 2012 - World NGO Day (WND)
- Expert-Observer for a hearing of the United Nation’s Global Commission on HIV and the Law
- Member of the Advisory Board of Organization for International Cooperation (OIC)
- Member of leadership programme committee of ICAAP11
- Chairman of the panel of Jury of prestigious Asia Corporate Excellence & Sustainability Awards (ACES)
- Active Elected Member of Union of International Associations (UIA)
- Law & Policy Specialist in Goeman Bind HTO, Think Tank
- "South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law". Saarclaw. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Outreach, Rounak Biswas, Associate. "Hemant Batra, Founder, Kaden Boriss Global, on working at AMSS and the UN, and his diverse experience – SuperLawyer – share your career experience and professional insights with law students and lawyers". superlawyer.in. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Mr Hemant K Batra Lead Partner Kaden Boriss Legal LLP, National Capital Region - Lawyer Biography". International Law Office. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Law firms find loopholes to promote their services". Livemint. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- aknoi tm (May 16, 2009). "CNBC TV 18 Expert Corporate Lawyer Hemant K Batra From Kaden Boriss India speaks on Satyam Scam" (YouTube). Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Leadership Programme Committee". Icaap11.org. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Nouvelle en détail". Idlo.int. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "SAARCLAW has new Secretary General The SAARCLAW Executive Council (EXCO), the international governing body of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association For Regional Co-operation in Law) elected Hemant Batra its Vice President, as the new Secretary General (SG) of SAARCLAW. He has been the incumbent Vice President of SAARCLAW since 2007 and his name was proposed by Pakistan and seconded by Bhutan/India. He takes over from the current incumbent Tania Amir ul Islam, a renowned barrister and constitutional expert from Bangladesh". Epaper.timesofindia.com. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Nouvelle en détail". Idlo.int. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Corporate lawyer Hemant Batra from Kaden Boris speaks on Satyam Scam". CNBC.
- "Hemant Batra speaks on Satyam Scam and Maytas Fraud". Zee Business.
- "Core Team Members". One Only Nature Endures. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Apex and recognized bodies".
- "L'OIDD SIGNE UN PROTOCOLE D'ENTENTE AVEC SAARCLAW".
- "2nd International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM)". Siac.org.sg. 2008-09-14. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Organization for International Cooperation" (PDF). 14 Jan 2012.
- organizer (2011-07-28). "International Infrastructure and Construction Law Arbitration Moot (IICLAM)". Mootcourt.in. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Law, Amity (2012-07-16). "Amity Law School, Noida: 5th International Infrastructure & Construction Law Arbitrationn Moot (IICLAM) 2012". Amitylawschool.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Focus on corporate sustainability at inaugural ACES Awards". thejakartapost.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Report urges stronger legal protections for women and girls affected by HIV in health care settings". UNDP. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Business News, India Stock Market, Personal Finance, IPO, Financial News Headlines - The Financial Express". www.financialexpress.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- ANI (22 June 2017). "Policy specialist, global business lawyer Hemant Batra joins leadership, expert team of not-for-profit Goeman Bind HTO". Retrieved 20 March 2018 – via Business Standard.
- "Global business lawyer Hemant Batra joins leadership team of not-for-profit Goeman Bind HTO". www.globallegalpost.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Hemant-batra-joins-Bind-HTO @ 6/22/2017 3:45:20 PM - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dnaindia.com. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "UIA - Union of International Associations". uia.org. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Active Membership - Union of International Associations". uia.org. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Legal EVENT - International Conference on Access to Legal Information & Research in Digital Age - LU APRIL 2012". Lawyersupdate.co.in. 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "The World Trade Review". The World Trade Review. 2004-03-15. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "ONLINE - International News Network". Onlinenews.com.pk. 2004-01-31. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Ignite Media Group | News, Initiatives and Partnerships". Igniteasia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "AEF 2012 - Macau". Enterpriseasia.org. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Macau.com". Macau.com. 2012-09-21. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Punjab". Tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "South Asian Legal Fraternity and Communities gather to discuss Human Rights Challenges Faced by Key Populations at Higher Risk of HIV, Kathmandu, Nepal, 8-10 November 2011". hivlawcommission.org. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Sachin Pilot To Address Conference Organised By Isb And Harvard Law School - Core Sector Communique". Corecommunique.com. 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Exclusive: Former SC judge pitched for ex-IPL czar Lalit Modi extend his stay in UK". India Today. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Endorsement from former SC judge helped Lalit Modi extend his UK stay". dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Swaraj, Ambani, NCP leaders, ex-SC judge in Lalit Modi imbroglio - Tehelka Web Desk - Tehelka - Investigations, Latest News, Politics, Analysis, Blogs, Culture, Photos, Videos, Podcasts". www.tehelka.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Laws must reflect needs of a modern society: Justice AP Shah - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". dnaindia.com. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Parliament of India".
- "Hemant Batra Profile". saarclaw.org.
- "business.outlookindia.com |". Outlookmoney.com. 2009-02-25. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "'I change gadgets every six months'". Business Standard. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Delegating authority via power of attorney". Expressindia.indianexpress.com. 1997-07-25. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Advisory council". India Law Journal.
- Gorman, Brigid O (17 October 2013). "Aus-Indian firm opens Brisbane office". lawyersweekly.com.au. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Kaden Boriss - Asia Today International - Reporting the Business that Matters in Asia". asiatoday.com.au. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Profile of speakers". enterpriseasia.org.
- "news_20111109". Asia-pacific.undp.org. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- PTI, Sep 19, 2009, 12.00am IST (2009-09-19). "Parents spy on kids to know their sexual preferences - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Jain, Teena (2007-02-19). "Where there's a will". Livemint. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "World NGO Day". World NGO Day. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "World NGO Day: South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law (SAARCLAW) enters into an MoU with World NGO Day Secretariat (WND), London". Worldngoday.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Haryana". www.tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Tribune India Haryana Edition epaper dated Wed, 14 May 14". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Indonesia's Best Corporate Companies Won The Prestigious ACES Awards 2014 - Jakarta Globe". beritasatu.com. 28 November 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Celebrating Asia's finest leaders". businesstimes.com.sg. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "No Act Of Corporate Democracy | Arindam Mukherjee". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Nineteen For Him". www.outlookindia.com. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Defox says:. "SAARC Chief Justices' Conference and 12th SAARCLAW Conference in Thimphu – The Bhutanese". Thebhutanese.bt. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Money launderers turning to farmland - Print View". Livemint. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "India: Fractured Democracy". pulitzercenter.org. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "purbelinews". purbelinews.net. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Leading Indian lawyer, Hemant Batra appointed new Secretary General for SAARCLAW".
- "Hemant Batra is Director - South Asia Region of the World NGO Day Initiative (WND)". liveleak.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "UNAIDS UNESCAP & SAARCLAW Hemant Batra Steve Kraus Nanda Kaririks". FirstPost.
- "Advisory board of OIC". OICWorldpeace.org.
- "Insights from ACES jury panel". businesstimes.com.sg. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "Policy Specialist & Global Business Lawyer Hemant Batra Join". telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 20 March 2018.