Hemp protein is the protein content of hemp seeds. The protein in hemp seeds is made up of the two globular types of proteins, edestin (60–80%) and 2S albumin, with edestin also being rich in the essential amino acids. Hemp protein has a PDCAAS score of 0.61 (the limiting amino acid being lysine, with a digestibility of 94.9%) and a biological value of 87. The total proportion of essential amino acids in hemp protein isolate, is also significantly higher than that of soy protein isolate.
- Galasso, Incoronata (2016), "Variability in Seed Traits in a Collection of Cannabis sativa L. Genotypes", Frontiers in Plant Science, 7: 688, doi:10.3389/fpls.2016.00688, PMC 4873519, PMID 27242881
- Callaway, J.C. (2004). "Hempseed as a nutritional resource: An overview" (PDF). Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, Finland. 1: 65–72.
- Docimo, Teresa (2014). "Molecular characterization of edestin gene family in Cannabis sativa L.". Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 84: 142–148. doi:10.1016/j.plaphy.2014.09.011. PMID 25280223.
- House, J (2010). "Evaluating the quality of protein from hemp seed (Cannabis sativa L.) products through the use of the protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score method" (PDF). J. Agric. Food Chem. 58 (22): 11801–7. doi:10.1021/jf102636b. PMID 20977230.
- Wang, Xian-Sheng (2008). "Characterization, amino acid composition and in vitro digestibility of hemp (Cannabis sativa L.) proteins". Food Chemistry. 107: 11–18. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.06.064.
- Girgih, Abraham (December 14, 2008). "A Novel Hemp Seed Meal Protein Hydrolysate Reduces Oxidative Stress Factors in Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats". Nutrients. 6 (12): 5652–5666. doi:10.3390/nu6125652. PMC 4276990. PMID 25493943.
- Y, Li; Al., Et (2019-06-05). "Initial study of Hemp seeds protein on antifatigue and the immunomodulation effects in mice". Wei Sheng Yan Jiu = Journal of Hygiene Research. 37 (2): 175–8. PMID 18589601.