Hempfield High School
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Hempfield High School|
200 Stanley Ave
|School type||Public, secondary|
|School district||Hempfield School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
|Rival||Manheim Township High School|
Hempfield High School is a public senior high school located in Salunga-Landisville, Pennsylvania, United States. It serves both East and West Hempfield townships and serves as the only high school for Hempfield School District.
- Grades: 9-12
- County: Lancaster
- Total students: 2481
- 52% male / 48% female
- Teachers: 137
Hempfield High School continually shows test results above the state average on the PSSA tests  and the SAT. The school has a 95% graduation rate, with almost 82% of Hempfield graduates continuing on to excel in post-secondary education.
In 2005-2006, thirteen students were honored as National Merit Finalists. Finally, Hempfield students have consistently excelled in the Pennsylvania Math League. In 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005, the Math Team were the first in their region, and in 2001, 2006, and 2008, they were first in the league.
Hempfield offers a number of Advanced Placement courses, including classes in Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Environmental Science, English, French, German, and Spanish Literature, Art, Music Theory, Physics, Statistics, US History, and US Government and Politics. AP exams for college credit are also offered in all of these areas. Honor weighted courses in the Humanities are offered; however, no AP exam accompanies them.
Performing arts and music
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hempfield High School is renowned for its extensive theater program and its annual Dance Theatre production. Created by Pat Kautter (now choreographed and directed by Cody Smith), this is a completely original show which features over 100 students. Dance Theatre celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2008. Hempfield's spring musical productions, under the direction of Dr. Alan Mudrick and Cody Smith, are also known for their excellence. A spring musical is also performed annually.
The 1,300 seat Performing Arts Center was designed by The Ray Group Inc., a Lancaster-based architecture firm that specializes in schools and universities. The PAC opened in the fall of 1995 and is one of the most expensive high school stages in Pennsylvania. It is often rented out by local dance companies and performance groups.
The Hempfield Black Knight Marching Band consists of over 100 members. The Symphonic Band is for grades 10-12. The Concert Band is a 50+ performance group which accepts all levels of musicians from all grades, and is designed for 9th graders to adapt them to the more challenging material and style that is played in this band. The 2012-2013 band was selected to perform at the PMEA All-State conference. The Jazz Band hosts a variety of shows during the year, and the Jazz Lab Band performs with the Jazz Band during the spring jazz concert. All of the bands at Hempfield are supervised by the department chair of music, Dr. Alan Mudrick.
Hempfield is also the home to several choral groups: Hempfield Singers, Bel Cantos, Concert Choir, and Chamber Singers. All are under the direction of Dr. Alan Mudrick. Hempfield Singers is a high level choir which is open by audition. Bel Cantos is an all female-choir, also selected through audition. Concert Choir is a larger group that is open to any student. The Hempfield Chamber Singers is an elite group which includes a small number of singers. The 2012-2013 group also performed at the state conference. The Chamber Singers perform the national anthem at many of Hempfield's home basketball games.
The Hempfield orchestras include Symphony Strings, an orchestra tailored to advanced musicians; and Concert Strings, a performing orchestra designed for underclassmen.
All orchestras, bands and choirs perform at either the holiday concert, the winter concert or a spring concert. Some groups have shows outside of the Hempfield music department, which change every year.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Ice hockey, governed by USA Hockey and compete in the Central Pennsylvania Interscholastic Hockey League (CPIHL)
- Rugby, which compete in the Eastern Pennsylvania Rugby Union (EPRU)
The Hempfield Black Knight Baseball team is currently coached by Jeremy Morrison. Historical highlights and championships:
SECTION ONE: 1983, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
LANCASTER-LEBANON: 1974, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2014
DISTRICT 3: 2004, 2015
- Basketball (m/w)
- Field hockey
- Ice hockey (not a PIAA sport) 
- Lacrosse (m/w)
- Rugby (m/w; not a PIAA sport) 
- Soccer (m/w)
- Swimming and diving
- Tennis (m/w)
- Track and field/cross country
- Volleyball (m/w)
The Hempfield boys' basketball program is led by Coach Danny Walck. Since taking over in 2010, he has led the Black Knights to a playoff appearance every season. This includes his first year, 2010-2011, where the Knights won the Lancaster-Lebanon League title. He is assisted by Dave Brown, Ian Daecher, Mark Macik, and Matt Wagaman.
Led by Head Coach Ron Zeiber, the Hempfield football program has dramatically increased in performance in recent years. They recently have had two straight berths to the PIAA District 3 AAAA playoffs and advanced to the quarterfinals both times. They lost in double overtime to Cumberland Valley in 2013. They lost in triple overtime to Central Dauphin-East in 2014. They currently play in Section 1 of the L-L League.
- Georgelis Law Firm Stadium
Notable athletic alumni
- Aaron Herr, son of Tom Herr; member of the Louisville Bats, the Class AAA affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds
- Tom Herr, a former Major League Baseball alumnus of the St. Louis Cardinals, Minnesota Twins, Philadelphia Phillies, San Francisco Giants, and New York Mets; led the Lancaster Barnstormers to the 2006 Atlantic League Championship Series
- John Murray, played goalie for the HHS ice hockey team before moving on to the Ontario Hockey League; signed in 2008 to the nearby Reading Royals of the ECHL; currently plays for the Ontario Reign, an affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings
- Kyle Salyards, competed in the 200 m breaststroke event in the 2000 Olympic Games
- Travis Worra, an American soccer player who has played for D.C. United since 2015.
- "Hempfield SHS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Hempfield Senior High School - Landisville, Pennsylvania/PA - Public School Profile
- School Profile
- Math League Contest Results
- LancasterOnline.com:Entertainment:Bailey bridges age gap
- LancasterOnline.com:Entertainment:Stepping out
- Hempfield High School | Performing Arts Center
- Robert Lorelli Associates, Project List
- The Ray Group | Welcome
- Hempfield Music Website
- "Georgelis Law Firm | Lancaster Personal Injury Lawyer | Lawyers in Lancaster PA | Lancaster Workers Compensation Attorney". Georgelislaw.com. Retrieved 2015-10-18.
- "Women's Premier Soccer League Team in Lancaster, PA »". Lancaster Inferno. Retrieved 2015-10-18.