Hempilation: Freedom Is NORML
|Hempilation: Freedom Is NORML|
|Compilation album by Various Artists|
|Various Artists chronology|
|AllMusic||(not rated) link|
|The WELL||(not rated) link|
|Washington City Paper||(not rated) link|
Hempilation: Freedom Is NORML is the first CD compilation album to benefit the organization NORML, released in November 1995. The songs that appear on the album all have marijuana as the subject matter. As of the end of 1998 Hempilation sold more than 110,000 units, and raised more than $90,000 for NORML. Due to the album's success, there would be a second compilation done by the group, which would appear three years after the first compilation.
The following information was found in the first two pages of the liner notes of the CD booklet:
The idea for this album came about after a Steve Bloom, a member of High Times magazine (and one of the producers of "Hempilation") left a record release party for a PETA benefit album called "Tame Yourself". He thought since top bands can get behind a cause and make a difference, why not try the same concept to benefit the people at NORML?
It was decided that the album needed to be created after finding several of the bands that were fans of the magazine and supporters of the legalization movement, other bands prior to the album took part in a "Rock For Pot" benefit concert, and a successful sponsored tour of one of the contributing bands by both of the organizations.
The proceeds from the sale of this album, organized by the people at High Times Magazine, went to benefit the NORML organization. It was also created as a way to contribute to NORML anonymously. However, there is also a membership form that was included in the CD booklet if the purchaser wanted to do more. The website given on the form to join NORML (http://www.calyx.com/-norml) is no longer active, but has been moved to https://secure.norml.org/join/.
- "Rainy Day Women ♯12 & 35" performed by The Black Crowes - 3:37
- "I Want to Take You Higher" performed by Blues Traveler - 5:30
- "I Wanna Get High" performed by Cypress Hill - 3:40
- Originally on the band's album Black Sunday
- "I Like Marijuana" performed by David Peel and the 360's - 4:55
- Originally on the band's album Have A Marijuana
- "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" performed by Gov't Mule - 5:40
- "Who's Got the Herb?" performed by 311 - 4:48
- "Convicted" performed by Hater - 1:10
- Exclusive to this compilation album
- "Sweet Leaf" performed by Sacred Reich - 5:00
- "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba" performed by The High Fidelity - 5:16
- Originally performed by The Harlem Underground Band
- "Champagne & Reefer" performed by The Ian Moore Band - 6:02
- "Legalize It" performed by Sublime - 4:19
- "In the Flow" performed by Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers - 4:29
- Originally on the band's album Free Like We Want 2 B
- "And It Stoned Me" performed by Widespread Panic - 5:41
- "Homegrown" performed by Gus - 2:27
- "High Time We Went" performed by Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies - 3:54
- "Pot Head Pixies" performed by Raging Slab - 2:50
- "Too Rolling Stoned" performed by Drivin N Cryin with Warren Haynes - 4:37
Information taken from Liner Notes on back page of CD booklet.
- Production Director: Robert Vega
- Art Direction: Diane Painter
- Design: Beth Lee @Ikon
- Photography: Hyram Williams