Hempstead Gardens station
The station platform, facing north towards West Hempstead.
|Location||Hempstead Gardens Drive & Chestnut Street|
West Hempstead, New York
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n15|
|Electrified||October 19, 1926|
750 V (DC) third rail
Hempstead Gardens is a station along the West Hempstead Branch of the Long Island Rail Road. It is located on Hempstead Gardens Drive and Chestnut Street and is one of two stations in West Hempstead, New York. It is also one of the few stations on the LIRR, outside New York City, with no parking facilities. The station has two daily ticket machines located near the waiting room.
When Hempstead Gardens station was originally built in 1893 by the New York Bay Extension Railroad, it was little more than a small one-room shack with open canopies extending along the northbound platform. At some point between the 1950s and 1972, the shack was replaced by an open sheltered shed. High-level platforms were added to both sides during the 1990s.
Hempstead Gardens Station has a single track and a side platform with ADA access, however the second track for the West Hempstead Branch begins just northeast of this station. The right-of-way for the second track exists here as well.
This station has one four-car-long side platform on the east side of the track. An additional track west of the running track is used for train storage.
Exit/entrance and buses
|Track 1||← West Hempstead Branch toward Valley Stream, Jamaica, Atlantic or Penn (Lakeview)|
West Hempstead Branch toward West Hempstead (Terminus) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the left or right|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Parking, Bus, and Taxi information at Hempstead Gardens Station (Long Island Rail Road Official Map)
- 1928 image of Hempstead Gardens Station facing north (TrainsAreFun)
- January 1, 1972 image of Hempstead Gardens station Sheltered Shed, facing north (TrainsAreFun)
- Unofficial LIRR History Website
- Station from Chestnut Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Platform from Google Maps Street View
|This New York train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|