|Traded as||LSE: HGG, ASX: HGG|
|Richard Gillingwater, Chairman
Andy Henderson , Owner
Andrew Formica, Chief Executive
|Products||Equities, Fixed Income, Property, Private Equity|
|Revenue||£601.8 million (2015)|
|£197.1 million (2015)|
|£161.2 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|c. 1000 (2016)|
Henderson Group plc (LSE: HGG, ASX: HGG) is a global investment management company with its principal place of business in the City of London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. It is also listed on the Australian Securities Exchange as a member of the S&P/ASX 200 index.
The Company was established in 1934 to administer the estates of Alexander Henderson, 1st Baron Faringdon. In 1975 it started managing pension funds. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1983.
On re-listing as HHG Group in 2003 the group comprised:
• Henderson Global Investors, a UK-based investment manager
• Life Services (comprising the life and pension books of Pearl Assurance plc, NPI Limited, National Provident Life Limited and London Life Limited, and HHG Services Limited.)
• The financial advisory firm, Towry Law
Between 2008 and 2012 the Group was tax-resident in the Republic of Ireland. With effect from 12 December 2012, the Group changed its tax residency from the Republic of Ireland to the UK by means of a corporate restructuring.
In 2010 the company phased out the New Star name.
In 2014 the company rolled out a new brand identity.
Acquisitions and sales
|Acquired Touche Remnant from Société Générale||1992|
|March 1998 bought by AMP Limited (and subsequently integrated with AMP Asset Management's operations
in the UK and Australasia as Henderson Global Investors.)
|Demerged from AMP Limited as HHG Group.||2003|
|Sale of 50% stake in Virgin Money Group to joint venture partner Virgin Group.||2004|
|Sale of Life Services business and change of name to Henderson Group||2005|
|AMP Limited sold its remaining 15% stake in the Company.||2005|
|Sale of Towry Law, the financial advisory business.||2006|
|Acquisition of New Star Asset Management Group PLC.||April 2009|
|Acquisition of Gartmore Group Limited, giving a combined estimated AUM of £78.1bn as
at 31 December 2010.
In Europe, Henderson has offices in Amsterdam, Dublin, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Vienna, Zurich and London. Henderson moved into the North American market in 1999, when it acquired US real estate investment manager Phoenix Realty Advisers, and currently has offices in Chicago and Hartford. In Asia, Henderson has offices in New Delhi, Singapore (Asia headquarters), Hong Kong, Tokyo and Beijing as well as in Sydney, Australia.
Henderson Group’s Chief Economist, Simon Ward, is a regular commentator on the economy and markets. Henderson Group’s institutional product range also includes a range of hedge funds (under the Alphagen name), Private Equity and Property.
- "The call that put Henderson's high-flyer behind the controls". The Times. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Preliminary Results 2015" (PDF). Henderson Group. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Overview". Henderson. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Henderson Group History
- "BBC NEWS - Business - Troubled insurance group debuts". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "BBC NEWS - Business - Henderson to leave UK tax regime". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Henderson moves tax residence back to UK". Telegraph.co.uk. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Emma Wall (12 March 2010). "New Star name to disappear in Henderson shake-up". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Henderson Global Investors (21 January 2014). "Henderson Rolls Out Global Rebrand". prnewswire.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "HHG divestment strategy opens with Virgin sale". theage.com.au. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "AMP wins as UK spin-off sells life funds for $2.6bn". smh.com.au. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "AMP sells the last of Henderson stake". smh.com.au. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "UK Business Park - B2B Sales Leads & Company News". ukbusinesspark.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Henderson buys New Star for £115m". timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Henderson confirms Gartmore takeover". moneyobserver.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "About the author - Money Moves Markets". moneymovesmarkets.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Fund factsheets - Henderson AlphaGen Capella Fund Overview - Henderson Global Investors Ltd - Offshore Mutual - FE Trustnet Offshore". trustnetoffshore.com. Retrieved 28 March 2015.