Henderson railway station
|Auckland Transport Urban rail|
The station in 2010 with Railside Avenue running parallel at left
|Location||Railside Avenue, Henderson, Waitakere City|
|Owned by||KiwiRail (track and platforms)|
Auckland Transport (buildings)
|Opened||2 October 1880|
|Passengers (2009)||2,372 passengers/day|
Henderson railway station is a major station on the Western Line of the Auckland railway network in New Zealand. It is located near the town centre of Henderson, the western administration offices of Auckland Council, and a major shopping centre, WestCity Waitakere.
The station was opened on 2 October 1880 for goods and on 21 December 1880 for all services including passengers.
In 21 August 2010 a "Distributed Stabling Facility" was opened because locals objected to the proposal to open the facility at Ranui railway station. ARTA had proposed it as part of the upgrading of the network, to store up to 11 trains and to clean trains when out of service; with staff car parking and welfare facilities.
A major upgrade of the station was completed on 24 October 2006. The station opened on 2 November 2006, 125 years after the railway first reached Henderson. It has an island platform. Stairs and escalators, enclosed in transparent panels, connect to an overhead walkway that connects to the council's office buildings and to the adjacent Railside Avenue.
It was proposed that the station be renamed Waitakere Central when it was upgraded because it was integrated with the then Waitakere City Council's new Civic Building. There were objections that there would be confusion with Waitakere railway station, also on the Western Line. Due to opposition to the name change, the station has Waitakere Central only as a subtitle. In practice, the station is never referred to by the name but the council uses it to refer to its premises, directly above the platforms.
Bus routes 14t, 14w, 120, 131, 133, 133x, 134, 138, 141, 142, 143, 146, 152, 154 and 162 arrive and depart from the transport interchange on Railside Avenue.
- "Auckland Electrifcation Map" (PDF). KiwiRail. September 2014. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- Juliet Scoble: Names & Opening & Closing Dates of Railway Stations in New Zealand
- "Henderson train travel has air to it". NZ Herald. 23 October 2006. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "Row over Henderson station name". The NZ Herald – The Aucklander. 21 August 2006. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "GOING WEST 2017 - Opening Night". iTicket – iticket.co.nz. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "Western Guide – from 11 June 2017" (PDF). Auckland Transport. Retrieved 18 June 2017.