Henk A. M. J. ten Have
|Henk A. M. J. ten Have|
|Occupation||Professor of healthcare ethics|
|Education||Medicine (MD; PhD) and philosophy (PhD)|
|Alma mater||Leiden University|
Henk ten Have (1951), whose full name is Henk Antonius Maria Johannes, is Director of the Center for Healthcare Ethics at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, U.S.A. Previously, he served in UNESCO as Director of the Division of Ethics of Science and Technology (2003-2010). His recent works are; Global Bioethics-An Introduction (2016), Vulnerability (2016), and Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics (2016).
Henk ten Have was born in Voorschoten, the Netherlands in June 1951. After completing his secondary school (Gymnasium alfa) in May 1969 he started studying medicine at the University of Leiden and was awarded the Medical Degree in April 1976. In 1978 and 1979 ten Have worked as a physician in the municipal health services (GG&GD) in the city of Rotterdam. In June 1982, Henk ten Have was appointed as part-time Instructor at the State University of Limburg in Maastricht, the Netherlands. In January 1983 he was awarded the PhD degree in philosophy at the University of Leiden. In July 1985 he was appointed professor in philosophy at the State University of Limburg. In September 1991 Henk ten Have moved to the Catholic University of Nijmegen (now Radboud University Nijmegen) where he has been appointed as full professor of medical ethics in the School of Medical Sciences. He became involved in many public debates as well as expert committees in the area of healthcare ethics and healthcare policies. He was also appointed as member of the newly founded Central Committee on Research involving Human Subjects (CCMO) in the Netherlands (1999-2003), and served in the Ethical Issues Review Panel of WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) (2006-2008).
In September 2003, ten Have moved to UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in Paris as Director of the Division of Ethics of Science and Technology. Shortly after he had arrived, the member states invited the Director-General to explore the possibility of developing a universal declaration of global bioethical principles. Under his guidance, the International Bioethics Committee drafted the text and carried out consultations in many countries and with various stakeholders. The Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights was unanimously adopted by all member states of UNESCO on 19 October 2005. Since then, ten Have has set up several UNESCO programs to implement the Declaration, such as the Ethics Education program, the Global Ethics Observatory, and the National Bioethics Committees program. In March 2008 he received an honorary degree of the Medical University of Pleven in Bulgaria. Retiring from UNESCO in 2010, Henk ten Have was appointed in July 2010 as Director of the Center for Healthcare Ethics at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, U.S.A.
Some recently published books
- Ten Have, Henk (ed.) (2016): Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics. Springer International Publishing: Cham, Switzerland, 3 volumes, 3460 pages. ISBN 9783319094847.
- Ten Have, Henk (2016): Global bioethics. An Introduction. Routledge, London and New York, 272 pages, ISBN 978-1-138-12409-7 (hbk). ISBN 978-1-138-12410-3 (pbk). ISBN 978-1-315-64837-8 (ebk).
- Ten Have, Henk (2016): Vulnerability: Challenging bioethics. Routledge, London and New York, 252 pages, ISBN 978-1-138-65266-8 (hbk). ISBN 978-1-138-65267-5 (pbk). ISBN 978-1-315-62406-8 (ebk).
- Ten Have, Henk (ed.) (2015): Bioethics education in a Global Perspective. Springer Publishers, Dordrecht, 221 pages, ISBN 978-94-017-9231-8.
- Ten Have, Henk and Bert Gordijn (eds.) (2014): Handbook of Global Bioethics. Springer Publishers, Dordrecht, 4 volumes, 1650 pages, ISBN 978-94-007-2511-9.
- David F. Kelly, Gerard Magill and Henk ten Have (2013): Contemporary Catholic Healthcare Ethics. Georgetown University Press, Washington DC, 2nd edition, 432 pages, ISBN 978-1-58901-960-7.
- Chadwick, Ruth, Henk ten Have, and Eric Meslin, (eds.) (2011): The SAGE Handbook of Health Care Ethics: Core and Emerging Issues. SAGE Handbook series, London, SAGE Publications, 454 pages, ISBN 978-1-4129-4534-9.
- Ten Have, H.A.M.J (2011): Bioethiek zonder grenzen. Mondialisering van gezondheid, ethiek en wetenschap.[in Dutch; Bioethics without borders. Globalisation of health, ethics and science] Valkhof Pers, Nijmegen, 256 pages, ISBN 978 90 5625 3387.
- Ten Have, H.A.M.J. (ed.) (2010): Etica ambiental y politicas internacionales. Ediciones UNESCO, Paris, 238 pages, ISBN 978-92-3-304039-7.
- Ten Have, H.A.M.J., R.H.J. ter Meulen and E.van Leeuwen (2009): Medische ethiek. [in Dutch; Medical Ethics] Derde, herziene druk. Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum, Houten, 326 pag.; ISBN 978-90-313-5208.
- Ten Have, H.A.M.J. and Jean, M.S. (dir.) (2009): UNESCO: la Déclaration universelle sur la bioéthique et les droits de l’homme. Histoire, principes et application. Editions UNESCO, Paris, 404 pages ; ISBN 978-92-3-204088-6.
- Ten Have, H.A.M.J. and Jean, M.S. (eds.) (2009): The UNESCO Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights. Background, principles and application. UNESCO Publishing, Paris, 370 pages; ISBN 978-92-3-104088-7.
Awards and honors
As Executive Secretary of the European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Healthcare (ESPMH) Henk ten Have assisted in the organization of annual conferences. The third conference took place in 1989 in Czestochowa, Poland. The theme of the conference was “European traditions in philosophy of medicine.” Czestochowa was chosen because it was the place of much activity in the previous century notably by its citizen and medical doctor Władysław Bieganski. As appreciation for his efforts, Henk ten Have received in October 1989 the Medal of Honor from the City of Czestochowa, as well as the Bieganski Medal from Towarzystwo Lekarskie Czestochowskie (Medical Association of Czestochowa, Poland).
In April 1995, ten Have was elected as Miembro Correspondiente en el Extranjero, Real Academia Nacional de Medicine, Madrid, Spain. He was also elected as Correspondent Member, Koninklijke Nederlandse Academie van Wetenschappen (KNAW-Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences) in April 2005.
Henk ten Have was awarded a visiting Professorship at the University of Central Lancashire, Preston, United Kingdom (March 1996 – 1999). He was Senior Visiting Fellow, Center for Health Policy and Ethics, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A. (March – June 2001). He was appointed as an Honorary Research Professor in the School of Philosophy, University of Tasmania, Australia (March 2007 – 2010). Ten Have received the Oscar M. Ruebhausen Visiting Professorship, Department of Bioethics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, U.S.A. (September 2008). In 2011 he was appointed as Adjunct Professor, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences (Department of Bioethics, King Abdullah International Medical Research Center), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
In March 2008 Henk ten Have was awarded the title of Doctor Honoris Causa of the Medical University of Pleven in Bulgaria. The same year he received the Ethos Prize for Bioethics, sponsored by the Calouste Culbenkian Foundation in Lisbon, Portugal. He was elected as Fellow of the Hastings Center (New York, United States) in October 2004.
In July 2017 Henk ten Have was appointed as corresponding member of the Pontifical Academy for Life.
The International Association for Education in Ethics will provide an international platform to: (a) exchange and analyze experiences with the teaching of ethics in various educational settings; (b) promote the development of knowledge and methods of ethics education; (c) function as a global center of contacts for experts in the field, and promote contacts between the members from countries around the world, and (d) enhance and expand the teaching of ethics at national, regional and international levels. IAEE has legally been established in Pennsylvania. The secretariat and treasury of the association are housed in the Center for Healthcare Ethics at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, US. The association has organized International Conferences in 2012 (Pittsburgh, USA), 2014 (Ankara, Turkey), 2015 (Curitiba, Brazil), 2016 (Logrono, Spain). Forthcoming conferences are scheduled in Mangalore (India 2017), Stellenbosch (South Africa, 2018) and Oporto (Portugal, 2019).
International Journal of Ethics Education
The official journal of the International Association for Education in Ethics, the International Journal of Ethics Education has started to be published in 2016 with two annual issues. Henk ten Have is Editor-in-Chief.
Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy
This is the official journal of the European Society for Philosophy of Medicine and Healthcare (ESPMH). The ESPMH was established in August 1987 by a group of European scholars, interested in cooperation in the field of philosophy and ethics of medicine and healthcare. Henk ten Have was elected as Executive-Secretary of the new organization. The first annual conference took place in 1987 in Maastricht, the Netherlands with the theme ‘The growth of medical knowledge.’
Henk ten Have, as executive secretary, started a bi-annual newsletter in 1987 that developed into a more expanded bulletin. Because more and more ESPMH members were interested in publishing, the initiative was taken to create a new and real journal, entitled Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy. The journal started in 1998. Henk ten Have was the first Editor-in-Chief until 2003. He again became Editor-in-Chief (with Bert Gordijn) in 2010.
Advancing Global Bioethics
Henk ten Have took the initiative (together with Bert Gordijn) to create a new book series in the field of global bioethics. Advancing Global Bioethics provides a forum for normative analysis of a vast range of important new issues in bioethics from a truly global perspective and with a cross-cultural approach. The series started in 2014 with 3 volumes. Henk ten Have and Bert Gordijn are editors of the series.
- The Center for Bioethics & Human Dignity. "Henk ten Have, MD, PhD". Cbhd.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Andorno, Roberto. "Book Review Global Bioethics." Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy 20 (1) (2017), 156.
- Sharman, Alison. "Henk ten Have - Genomics, Society and Policy, Online Journal, CESAGen, Lancaster University". Lancaster.ac.uk. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Erdley, Debra. "Newsmaker: Dr. Henk ten Have". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Routledge. "Henk ten Have, author of Global Bioethics: An introduction". Routledge - Featured Authors. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "20 Years of bioethics at UNESCO, interview with Henk Ten Have : United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization". Unesco.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Dr. Henk ten Have Lecture on Global Bioethics". Alumni.carlow.edu. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Henk ten Have - Palliative Sedation". YouTube. 8 February 2017. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Official Website of the Chinese Olympic Committee. "WADA announces appointments to 2012 expert groups - Official Website of the Chinese Olympic Committee". En.olympic.cn. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Hossler, Maureen. "Medical Ethics Lecture broadens perspective on global health". Alleghenycampus.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- UNESCO. "Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights: UNESCO". Portal.unesco.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Prof Henk ten Have in Pleven, Bulgaria". YouTube. 16 April 2014. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "ESPMH - About Us". espmh.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Loopbaan". Radboudumc.nl. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Day of Bioethics" (PDF). Eupha.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics" (PDF). Link.springer.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Pontifical Academy for Life". Academiavita.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- International Association for Education in Ethics "International Association for Education in Ethics - Board of Directors". Ethicsassociation.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- Raap, Tony. "Newsmaker: Henk ten Have". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "International Association for Education in Ethics - About IAEE". Ethicsassociation.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "International Journal of Ethics Education". Springer.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "ESPMH - About Us". Espmh.org. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy - incl. option to publish open access". springer.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.
- "Advancing Global Bioethics". Springer.com. Retrieved 2 October 2017.