Henk J. M. Bos
Hendrik Jan Maarten "Henk" Bos (born 17 July 1940, Enschede) is a Dutch historian of mathematics.
Hendrik was a student of Hans Freudenthal and Jerome Ravetz at Utrecht University and in 1973 wrote a thesis "Differentials, higher order differentials, and the derivative in Liebnitzian calculus" for his doctorate.
- 1974: "Differentials, higher-order differentials and the derivative in the Leibnizian calculus", Archive for History of Exact Sciences 14: 1–90, doi:10.1007/BF00327456
- 1980: "Newton, Leibnitz and the Leibnizian tradition", chapter 2, pages 49–93, in From the Calculus to Set Theory, 1630 – 1910: An Introductory History, edited by Ivor Grattan-Guinness, Duckworth ISBN 0-7156-1295-6
- 1981: (with Herbert Mehrtens & Ivo Schneider) "Mathematics and Revolution from Lacroix to Cauchy", pages 50–71 in Social History of Nineteenth Century Mathematics, Birkhäuser ISBN 978-0-8176-3033-1
- 1984: "The closure theorem of Poncelet", Rend. Sem. Mat. Fis. Milano 54, 145–158 (1987).
- 1987: (with Kers, C.; Oort, F.; Raven, D. W.) "Poncelet's closure theorem", Exposition. Math. 5 no. 4, 289–364.
- Joseph Harris wrote for MathSciNet: "the authors trace very carefully the history of the problem, describing various approaches culminating in a modern proof. The paper is fascinating from both a historical and a mathematical point of view, and should serve as the definitive source of information about Poncelet's problem in the future" here
- 1993: Lectures in the history of mathematics, History of Mathematics, 7. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI; London Mathematical Society, London.
- 2001: Redefining geometrical exactness. Descartes' transformation of the early modern concept of construction, Sources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Prof.dr. H.J.M. Bos (1940 - ) at the Catalogus Professorum Academiæ Rheno-Traiectinæ
- H. J. M. Bos (1988) "Tractional motion and the Legitimation of Transcendental Curves", Centaurus 31(1): 9–62
- Bos, H. J. M. (1989). "Recognition and Wonder – Huygens, Tractional Motion and Some Thoughts on the History of Mathematics" (PDF). Euclides. 63: 65–76.
- "University of Aarhus Henk Bos appointed honorary professor at the University of Aarhus". University of Aarhus.
- Valedictory Symposium from International Commission on the History of Mathematics
- Guiciardini, Niccolò (2002). "Review: Redefining Geometrical Exactness: Descartes' Transformation of the Early Modern Concept of Construction by Henk J. M. Bos". Early Science and Medicine. 7 (2): 155–157. JSTOR 4130218.