|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A Henley shirt is a collarless pullover shirt, characterized by a placket beneath the round neckline, about 3 to 5 inches (8 to 13 cm) long and usually having 2–5 buttons. It essentially resembles a collarless polo shirt. The sleeves may be either short or long, and it can be made in almost any fabric, although cotton, cotton-polyester blends, and thermals are by far the most popular. Henley shirts are generally regarded as menswear, but women's versions have appeared as business casual and casual wear as well.
In his biography of Ralph Lauren, the journalist Michael Gross quotes a New York merchant who recalled showing a vintage shirt to a Ralph Lauren buyer: "I showed this fellow underwear—a three-button long-sleeve shirt by Johnstown Knitting Mills. He said, 'This is a new shirt.' That's where he got the idea for the Henley shirt."
- "Henley Shirt". H&M. Archived from the original on 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- "Homespun Knitwear coalminer contrast henley". J.Crew. Archived from the original on 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- "Indigo Tissue Long Sleeve Henley". American Apparel. Archived from the original on 2016-06-04. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Centeno, Antonio. "Henley Shirt – Classic Alternative To The T-Shirt – Stylish Casual Shirts For Men". RMRS -- Real Men Real Style. Realmenrealstyle.com. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Gross, Michael (2003). Genuine Authentic: The Real Life of Ralph Lauren. New York: HarperCollins Publishers. p. 22. ISBN 9780060199043. OCLC 50520401. Retrieved 2 October 2013.