Hennepin History Museum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Hennepin History Museum
an exterior view of the museum on a bright summer day
Established 1938
Location 2303 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Coordinates 44°57′36.5″N 93°16′21″W / 44.960139°N 93.27250°W / 44.960139; -93.27250Coordinates: 44°57′36.5″N 93°16′21″W / 44.960139°N 93.27250°W / 44.960139; -93.27250
Director Cedar Imboden Phillips
Website hennepinhistory.org

Hennepin History Museum is a museum dedicated to the history people and communities of Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States. The museum provides in house exhibits, history-themed programming, and social events throughout the year.

Location[edit]

The museum is located in the Whittier neighborhood of Minneapolis in the historic Christian Family Mansion, a historic home, built in 1919 in what was then the Washburn-Fair Oaks Mansion District of Minneapolis.[1] The house was designed by Hennepin County architects Hewitt and Brown.

Exhibits[edit]

The museum showcases a mixture of rotating exhibits relating to the history of Hennepin County. Exhibits are usually up for three or more months.[2]

Community[edit]

The museum is home to a wide variety of events, including monthly "Fireside Chats" on various historical topics, as well as social events and author talks.[3]

The museum has also worked to spotlight various communities in Hennepin County. In 2003, the museum partnered with the Walker Art Museum and 30 East African students from local high schools to use letters and photographs to create an exhibit about East African communities in Minneapolis.[4] The museum's cultural outreach continued in 2009, when University of Minnesota interior design students exhibited designs for culturally sensitive homes for Somali and Mexican immigrants[5]

Library[edit]

The museum's library is open to the community and highlights the museum's archival collections. The library has reference materials such as city directories, photos of houses and buildings, maps, atlases, genealogical resources, city history files, business histories, and many other reference materials. A professional archivist is on site during library open hours to assist researchers. [6]

Funding[edit]

About 40% of the museum's annual budget is funded by Hennepin County. The remaining 60% is funded by individual donors. [7]

Magazine[edit]

Three times a year, the museum publishes Hennepin History Magazine.[8] Recently redesigned in 2017, the magazine features topics of interest from all over Hennepin County. Earlier issues included articles such as "The Birth of Target",[9] which explores the history of the Target Corporation, placing it in a historical context with the Dayton family and their department store Daytons. Such examinations of local companies are common in the magazine; the Winter 2012 issue explored Northwest Airlines in the 1930s.[10]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "George Christian Mansion". Placeography. Retrieved 3 March 2013. 
  2. ^ https://www.hennepinhistory.org/exhibits.html
  3. ^ "Fireside Chats". Hennepin History Museum. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013. 
  4. ^ "Hennepin History Museum Spotlights New East African Neighbors". South Side Pride. Archived from the original on 17 December 2006. Retrieved 3 March 2013. 
  5. ^ Kim Palmer (3 February 2009). "The Culture of Home". Star Tribune. Archived from the original on 6 March 2010. 
  6. ^ "Museum Library and Collections". Hennepin History Museum. Archived from the original on 16 February 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013. 
  7. ^ https://www.hennepinhistory.org/donors.html
  8. ^ "Hennepin History Magazine". Hennepin History Museum. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013. 
  9. ^ Dayton, Bruce; Green, Ellen (2012). "The Birth of Target". Hennepin History. E.B. Green Editorial. 71 (2): 20. 
  10. ^ Johnson, Frederick (2012). "Fly Northwest circa 1932". Hennepin History. E.B. Green Editorial. 71 (1): 10. 

External links[edit]