This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Henning Behrens (born 1 February 1940 in Hamburg, Germany), is a German economist and political scientist.
In the 1970s he worked as a special Assistant to the German government to coordinate basic research on the divided Germany, helping to pave the final shift for reunification of the Federal Republic of Germany in the late '80s. At that time period he also started his academic career: publishing 7 books and numerous articles in the disciplines of international relations, economics and business, with special reference to globalization. In the meanwhile he has also become an internationally renowned researcher and consultant.
Behrens' pastimes include mountaineering, yachting, and golfing. And he enjoys communicating fluently in German (Hochdeutsch), English, French and Italian – conversational in Spanish and Portuguese.
After the Abitur at the Gymnasium in Hamburg-Blankenese (North Germany) he has studied Volkswirtschaftslehre (Economics) and Politikwissenschaft (International Relations). He received his double Diplomas (Diplom Volkswirt & Diplom-Politologe) at the Freie Universität Berlin. In 1978 he received a PhD (Promotion in Staatswissenschaften) in Decision-Making Theory and Empirical Processes covering Politics, Economics and Business from the LMU, Munich (Ludwig Maximilians Universität München), which became his first book publication in the Westdeutscher Verlag: Studien zur Sozialwissenschaft, Bd. 42.
His University, School of Advanced Studies and Business School Professorships (Prof. of German Politics / International Relations and Economics / Global Enterprise) include higher ranking/elite European and American Universities and Business Schools: a.o. the University of Southern California, the Johns Hopkins University and since 1990 the European University (35th Anniversary) with MBA and Executive MBA Programs at 16 European/International Campuses. Henning Behrens is Founding Father and President of the Center for Globalization (DE/IT). As Director of Global Enterprise Consult and Political Advisor he has been designing and in many cases successfully implementing core strategic projects. On the levels of Government Administrations, Mittelstand & Multinational Enterprises and International / Supranational Organizations they cover the transitions since 1989/90 from bipolar to multipolar Politics, the “none-zero sum deescalated” German Reunification, the open economic and political European Integration and the economic and non-economic interfaces of Globalization vibrating the 21st century. Main consulting activities also cover the Far East with special reference to Start-up Management Projects in Chinas Special Economic Zones. In his main publication Henning Behrens has documented (in the 2007– German version Global Enterprise: Panoramabild globaler Zivilisation and in the 2010 thoroughly updated English version Globalization Vibrates The 21st century) a 2 decades covering experience of an in-depth holistic analysis, continuous teaching and practical consulting of the global/local complexities of the contemporary Globalization. In this mix of autobiographic experience, case studies and holistic concepts integrating the core elements of globalization (see: next paragraph) Henning Behrens sets the stage for entrepreneurs, politicians, managers, employees, and private citizens for their basic orientations in the respective political, economic, social and cultural fast globalizing world of the 21st century.
Model of globalization
The main Bullet Points of this in-depth analysis of the 21st century Globalization, developed by Behrens, encompass:
- A chronology of the globalizing economic activities in the World Economy and in the Global Business Competition
- A survey of the non-economic phenomena of globalization integrating World Politics, Globalizing Societies, World Culture and Global Ethics
- A comparison of the bipolar (West-East) world of the Cold War period to the multipolar challenges of the new Emerging Markets and Powers changing the contemporary power structure fundamentally with new empire rivalries (e.g. USA – China)
- The analyzed rising of a power gaining Civil Society and their Global Players actor groups engaging in Ecology, Human Rights or Conflict De-escalation
- Developed Concepts for the Explanation of Globalization: Trade/FDI – Business Dynamics & Technology – Innovation & Knowledge Societies – increasing number and interdependent potentials of the Global Players in the international/global System of the 21st century
- Consulting Concepts of Fitness for Globalization: Global Enterprise Competences for Multinational Enterprise Managers, in Politics, for Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and for individual more globally oriented citizens, employees and consumers
- Comparative examples set by in the long run successful political and economic infrastructure models: a.o. the Social Market Economic System of Germany having mastered the WWII destructions, the reunification, the integration into the EU and finally even the turmoil of the global financial and economic crisis 2008–2010
- A reflection of Moral Dilemmas and of a neoliberal/cosmopolitical oriented Globalization Reform: beyond the manifold Globalization Opportunities there is ample space for systematic Globalization Critique and practical reforms towards a world most of us would prefer to live in in the longer run
For Behrens Globalization for quite some time looked like a Gordon’s knot to be continuously attacked with more adequate methods and a cases based integral in-depth analysis. Having passed that tunnel – with light at the end – for him (resp. his students and clients), there is much more fun in better educated global context decision-making and in learning. Discussions, Teaching, Consulting and finally Publishing this thrilling 21st century dominating Topic benefit alike.
Politics/Economics/Mittelstand & Multinational Enterprises POLITICS: Comparative East/West & European Systems, (Ostpolitik: 1972 until 1989/90 Reunification); INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS: (UNESCO: Top-Management System, Office for Public Information); ECONOMICS: Bundesrepublik/Deutsche Demokratische Republik (Comparative Economic Systems); GLOBALIZATION IN THE 21st CENTURY (Analysis and Trade-offs: neoliberal & cosmopolitical Reforms); INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS: a.o.: Leadership Coaching; Conversion: Airports; automotive Systems Partnerships; audited long-term Organization-Personnel Processes/Development; Total Quality and Premium Service Management (Handbooks/Awards); Start-up Management (a.o.: Retail-Systems in the Special Economic Zones: China). Besides MITTELSTAND Corporations consulted Clients include MULTINATIONAL ENTERPRISES a.o.: ABB (Globalization), the BMW Group (TQM/EFQM), the Joint Venture BMW-Brilliance (International BMW Mastercoach/Benchmark), RHW/AUDI (Systems Partnership), Lucent Technologies (HRM), Wayss & Freytag (Conversion of NATO- into Civilian-Airport, a.o.: Frankfurt/Hahn) and the Volkswagen (VW) Group.
- Decision-Making Processes in Politics, Business, Psychology and Society (Published in German: Politische Entscheidungsprozesse. Westdeutscher Verlag: Studien zur Sozialwissenschaft; Bd 42, 1980, ISBN 3-531-11497-2 / available: Library of Congress – Weblink http://lccn.loc.gov/80462498)
- Germany: FRG/GDR – Comparative Systems. (Collaboration); (Published in German: BRD/DDR: Systemvergleich 2 und 3: Materialien zum Bericht zur Lage der Nation. Mitarbeit, Westdeutscher Verlag, 1972/1974 & Bundestagsdrucksache VII/2423 )
- Afghanistan – Intervention of the U.S.S.R. (Published in German: Die Afghanistan Intervention der UdSSR. 1982, Tuduv-Verlag, ISBN 3-88073-109-8 / available: Library of Congress – Weblink http://lccn.loc.gov/82184403 )
- Compendium of International Business (Chapt./Outline-Contribution). (Published in German: Kompendium der Internationalen BWL . 1991, Oldenbourg Verlag, ISBN 3-486-22225-2)
- 15 Audited Quality Handbooks (15 Qualitäts-Handbücher in German/English, Corporations)
- Strategy and Tactics of International Negotiations. (Published in German: Strategie und Taktik Internationaler Verhandlungsprozesse. 1983, GCR-Buch, CH)
- Theories of International Relations (Co-Author). (Published in German: Theorien der Internationalen Politik (Koautor). 1984, Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, ISBN 3-423-04414-4)
- Global Enterprise: Panorama View of the Global Civilization in the 21st century (Published in German: Global Enterprise: Panoramabild Globaler Zivilisation im 21. Jahrhundert. 2007, Edition-Lithaus, ISBN 978-3-939305-03-3)
- Globalization Vibrates The 21st century: How Global Enterprises Revolutionize International Business, Digital Societies, World Economy, Global Governance Leadership and Global Living of Mankind.(English Publication: Globalization vibrates The 21st century. 2010, uni-edition, Berlin, ISBN 978-3-942171-11-3)
- Globalization Vibrates the 21st Century Library of Congress
- Die Afghanistan-Intervention der UdSSR Library of Congress
- Politische Entscheidungsprozesse : Konturen e. polit. Entscheidungstheorie Library of Congress
- Research & Uni-Teaching, Think Tank & Consulting
- Bavarian State Library – Book-No. 2010.48296
- German State Library – Book-No. 2010.48296