Goitom playing for AIK in 2014
|Date of birth||22 September 1984|
|Place of birth||Solna, Sweden|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre forward|
|2005–2007||→ Ciudad Murcia (loan)||75||(23)|
|2008–2009||→ Valladolid (loan)||29||(10)|
|2016||San Jose Earthquakes||8||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 December 2016.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 22:29, 13 October 2015 (UTC)
Goitom moved to Italy in 2004 to join Udinese Calcio, rarely being an option during his short stay. However, in his sole Serie A appearance, on 19 February 2005, he only needed seven minutes as a late substitute to score the 90th minute 1–1 equalizer against Inter Milan.
The president of UD Almería, Alfonso García, however, announced the club would take matters to court: as he appeared before the media during the presentation of Aitor López Rekarte, showed journalists papers which proved an agreement had already been reached between Almería and Udinese.
With Murcia, Goitom only scored twice during the entire campaign, which saw the team eventually relegated from La Liga as last. In July 2008 he was loaned for one season to fellow league side Real Valladolid, which had an option to buy at the campaign's closure.
Established as first-choice, Goitom netted twice as Valladolid beat Recreativo de Huelva 3–2 away on 8 March 2009, but was also sent off during the match (as teammate Álvaro Rubio). He finished the season as team top scorer, at ten.
In late July 2009, Goitom was released by Murcia and joined fellow league side Almería, replacing Sevilla FC-bound Álvaro Negredo. His 2009–10 season output consisted of one goal, in a 1–1 home draw against CD Tenerife; also, even though he was the only pure striker in the squad, he was never an undisputed starter, but the Andalusians retained their top division status in the end.
On 19 January 2011, Goitom scored one of Almería's most important goals, netting a penalty kick in a 3–2 win at Deportivo de La Coruña (4–2 on aggregate), with the club reaching the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey for the first time ever (he added one more in the competition, against Real Sociedad). However, he again only netted once in the league, in a 2–2 home draw against Atlético Madrid, and the club returned to the second division after four years; in mid-August 2012, he terminated his contract.
On 22 March 2016, after being without a club for almost three months, Goitom agreed a short-term deal at Getafe CF. He made his debut about a week later, coming on as a second half-substitute in a 0–2 away loss against Rayo Vallecano.
Goitom only totalled 125 minutes of action during his spell, and his team suffered top flight relegation.
San Jose Earthquakes
On 10 August 2016, Goitom joined San Jose Earthquakes on a free transfer. He made his Major League Soccer debut nine days later, coming from the bench in a 1–2 loss to Houston Dynamo at the Avaya Stadium.
Return to AIK
On 3 March 2017, it was announced that Goitom had signed a two-year contract with his former club AIK, thus returning to his birth country and its top flight.
Goitom was a regular starter for the Swedish under-21 team during 2006, and played for the nation during qualification for the 2006 and 2007 UEFA European Championships. He was on the verge of breaking into the full squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup squad in Germany, but did not make the final cut.
In September 2015, at age of 30, Goitom made an official request to FIFA for permission to play for Eritrea. On 10 October he gained his first cap, in a 0–2 home loss to Botswana for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers; he scored in the return leg, to a final 1–5 defeat on aggregate.
- As of match played 16 October 2016
|Ciudad Murcia (loan)||2005–06||Segunda División||37||8||0||0||—||—||37||8|
|Valladolid (loan)||2008–09||La Liga||29||10||2||1||—||—||31||11|
|San Jose Earthquakes||2016||Major League Soccer||8||0||0||0||—||—||8||0|
- As of match played 13 October 2015
- Scores and results list Eritrea's goal tally first.
|1.||13 October 2015||Francistown Stadium, Francistown, Botswana||Botswana||
||2018 World Cup qualification|||
- Colpo di Veron, l'Inter si illude – Goitom beffa Mancini allo scadere (Veron strike, Inter thinks it's over – Goitom mocks Mancini in the end); La Repubblica, 19 February 2005 (Italian)
- El Murcia ficha al delantero sueco Henok Goitom (Murcia sign Swedish forward Henok Goitom); Marca, 12 July 2007 (Spanish)
- El Almería denunciará el fichaje de Goitom por el Murcia (Almería to denounce Murcia's signing of Goitom); La Opinión de Murcia, 17 July 2007 (Spanish)
- Goitom llega al Valladolid "para marcar goles y ayudar a mantener la permanencia" (Goitom arrives in Valladolid to "score goals and help maintain top flight status"); Soitu, 17 July 2008 (Spanish)
- Recreativo Huelva 2–3 Valladolid; ESPN Soccernet, 8 March 2009
- Eritrean Henok Goitom back in action in La Liga; Eri-International Sports, 18 January 2010
- El sueco no ha superado la 'maldición del 20' (The Swede has not overcome the 'curse of the 20'); Ideal, 25 May 2010 (Spanish)
- El Almería ganó la eliminatoria ante una Real que lo intentó pero pagó sus errores (Almería won tie against Real who tried but paid for mistakes); El Diario Vasco, 11 November 2010 (Spanish)
- El Almería se niega a despertar del sueño (Almería refuses to awake from dream); Marca, 19 January 2011 (Spanish)
- Almeria fight back for draw; ESPN Soccernet, 12 March 2011
- Goitom deja de pertencer al Almería (Goitom no longer an Almería player); UD Almería, 13 August 2012 (Spanish)
- Goitom klar för AIK: "Är det rätta steget"; Expressen, 16 August 2012 (Swedish)
- Henok Goitom lämnar AIK Fotboll (Henok Goitom leaves AIK Fotboll); AIK Fotboll, 31 December 2015 (Swedish)
- Henok Goitom klar för La Liga-klubben Getafe (Henok Goitom signs with La Liga club Getafe); Kista Galaxy, 22 March 2016 (Swedish)
- "Goitom debuterade när Getafe föll på bortaplan" [Goitom made debut as Getafe fell away from home] (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. 1 April 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Earthquakes sign striker Henok Goitom". San Jose Mercury News. 10 August 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "RECAP: Quakes fall 2–1 Dynamo at Avaya Staduim". San Jose Earthquakes. 19 August 2016. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "NEWS: Earthquakes announce roster moves ahead of 2017 season". San Jose Earthquakes. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Henok Goitom gör comeback i AIK" [Henok Goitom makes a comeback at AIK] (in Swedish). AIK Fotboll. 3 March 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- Goitom seals Sofia success; UEFA.com, 25 March 2005
- Goitom fuels Swedes' dreams; UEFA.com, 16 August 2006
- Carlsson, Simon (15 September 2015). "Väljer bort Sverige – för spel med Eritrea" [Rejects Sweden – to play with Eritrea] (in Swedish). Expressen. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Eritrea needs to bounce back against Botswana in World Cup qualifier". Caperi. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Eritrea 0–2 Botswana". Eurosport. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Botswana advances against Eritrea, Henok Goitom scores on a brilliant header". Tesfa News. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- "H. Goitom". Soccerway. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Goitom: Henok Goitom". BDFutbol. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Henok Goitom" (in Swedish). Svensk Fotboll. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "H. Goitom – Matches". Soccerway. Retrieved 15 February 2017.