Henriette, Lady Abel Smith
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Henriette Alice Cadogan was the daughter of Commander Francis Charles Cadogan, RN, of Quenington Old Rectory, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, (a grandson of Henry Charles Cadogan, 4th Earl Cadogan) by his wife Ruth Evelyn Howard, a daughter of Sir Edward Stafford Howard, KCB, a great-nephew of Bernard Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk.
She held the office of a Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Elizabeth II from 1949 to 1987. In 1987 she became an Extra Lady-in-Waiting. She served as a Justice of the Peace (JP) for Tunbridge Wells in 1955, and for Gloucestershire in 1971. She was invested as a Commander, Royal Victorian Order (CVO), in the 1964 New Year Honours, and was elevated to Dame Commander, Royal Victorian Order (DCVO), in 1977.
Marriages & progeny
She married twice:
- Firstly on 4 September 1939 to Major Sir Anthony Frederick Mark Palmer, 4th Baronet (d.1941), by whom she had progeny as follows:
- Secondly on 17 February 1953 she married Brigadier Sir Alexander Abel Smith (born 1904), TD the younger brother of Sir Henry Abel Smith (who in 1931 had married into the Royal Family), by whom she had progeny as follows:
She died on 3 May 2005 at The Garden House, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, aged 90.
- Kelly's Directory, 1969, p.114
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.204
- Debrett's Peerage, 1968, p.204, "Colls Duke of Norfolk"; http://thepeerage.com/p2293.htm
- "Abel Smith, Henriette Alice (Lady Abel Smith)". Who's who 1998 : an annual biographical dictionary. New York: St. Martin's Press. 1998. p. 2. ISBN 0312175914.
- Profile, ThePeerage.com; accessed 27 March 2016.
- "No. 40936". The London Gazette. 27 November 1956. p. 6727.
- Debrett's Peerage, 2015, p.B616, Palmer; P90, Bath
- "'Nappy and glorious'". Daily Mail. 1 June 2012.
- "No. 44362". The London Gazette. 11 July 1967. p. 7641.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 2. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S300] Michael Rhodes, "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection" e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 8 February. Hereinafter cited as "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection."
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 637.
- [S466] Notices, The Daily Telegraph, London, UK, 6 June 2005. Hereinafter cited as The Daily Telegraph.