Sereno as a Valladolid player
|Full name||Henrique Sereno Fonseca|
|Date of birth||18 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Elvas, Portugal|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2006||→ Famalicão (loan)||23||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ 1. FC Köln (loan)||25||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Valladolid (loan)||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16 February 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Elvas, Alto Alentejo, Sereno joined Vitória de Guimarães for the 2005–06 season from hometown O Elvas CAD, and served a loan stint during the latter part of that season at lowly F.C. Famalicão.
In the 2007–08 campaign he, alongside Brazilian Pedro Geromel, formed a solid defensive partnership as Vitória came from the second division into a final third league position. On 9 March 2008 he scored a rare goal, in a 2–0 home win against Sporting Clube de Portugal.
Sereno spent the vast majority of 2008–09 in the sidelines, after having undergone surgery to both knees, only appearing in six games. After beginning the following campaign again in the starting XI (nine matches, one goal), he eventually rescinded his contract and, on 1 February 2010, signed with Real Valladolid in Spain for five months. He made his club debut on 20 March, playing the entire 2–0 win at Deportivo de La Coruña.
In late June 2010, after Valladolid's relegation in La Liga, Sereno returned to his country, signing with first division powerhouse F.C. Porto on a free transfer. On 20 August 2011, deemed surplus to requirements as practically all Portuguese players, he joined German club 1. FC Köln on a season-long loan deal.
Sereno made his Bundesliga debut on 27 August 2011, playing the full 90 minutes in a 4–3 away success over Hamburger SV. He featured regularly during the campaign, but his team suffered relegation.
- "Guimarães defeat Sporting to go third". UEFA.com. 9 March 2008. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "El Valladolid ficha al central portugués Henrique Sereno" [Valladolid signs Portuguese centre-back Henrique Sereno] (in Spanish). Marca. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "F.C. Porto: Sereno confirmado como reforço por quatro épocas" [F.C. Porto: Sereno confirmed for four seasons] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Henrique Sereno verstärkt den FC" [Henrique Sereno strengthens FC] (in German). FC Köln. 20 August 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Late goals hand Cologne dramatic win". ESPN Soccernet. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Sereno vuelve a ser blanquivioleta" [Sereno again a blanquivioleta] (in Spanish). El Norte de Castilla. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Portugal win the day as Halilović enters fray". UEFA.com. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Stats and profile at Zerozero
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- BDFutbol profile
- Henrique Sereno at National-Football-Teams.com
- Transfermarkt profile