Sereno as a Valladolid player in 2010
|Full name||Henrique Sereno Fonseca|
|Date of birth||18 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Elvas, Portugal|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2006||→ Famalicão (loan)||23||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ 1. FC Köln (loan)||25||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Valladolid (loan)||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 April 2017.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 October 2013
Born in Elvas, Alto Alentejo, Sereno joined Vitória de Guimarães for the 2005–06 season from hometown's O Elvas CAD, and served a loan stint during the latter part of that season at lowly F.C. Famalicão.
In the 2007–08 campaign he, alongside Brazilian Pedro Geromel, formed a solid defensive partnership as Vitória came from the second division into a final third Primeira Liga position. On 9 March 2008 he scored a rare goal, in a 2–0 home win against Sporting Clube de Portugal.
Sereno spent the vast majority of 2008–09 in the sidelines after having undergone surgery to both knees, only appearing in six games. After beginning the following campaign again in the starting XI (nine matches, one goal), he eventually terminated his contract and, on 1 February 2010, signed with Real Valladolid in Spain for five months. He made his club debut on 20 March, playing the entire 2–0 win at Deportivo de La Coruña.
In late June 2010, after Valladolid's relegation in La Liga, Sereno returned to his country, signing with FC Porto on a free transfer. On 20 August 2011, deemed surplus to requirements as practically all Portuguese players, he joined German club 1. FC Köln on a season-long loan deal.
Sereno made his Bundesliga debut on 27 August 2011, playing the full 90 minutes in a 4–3 away success over Hamburger SV. He featured regularly during the campaign, but his team suffered relegation.
In summer 2013, Sereno joined Kayserispor from Turkey. He made his Süper Lig debut on 15 September, featuring the full 90 minutes in a 1–1 draw at Gençlerbirliği SK; he ended the campaign with 22 games and three goals, in an eventual relegation as last.
Sereno scored his first goal for his next club, Atlético de Kolkata, on 18 December 2016. It proved to be the equaliser as they went on to win the final of the Indian Super League on penalties, against Kerala Blasters FC.
On 24 June 2016, the Elvas city hall commended Sereno for his sporting achievements.
- Atlético Kolkata
- "Guimarães defeat Sporting to go third". UEFA.com. 9 March 2008. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "El Valladolid ficha al central portugués Henrique Sereno" [Valladolid signs Portuguese centre-back Henrique Sereno]. Marca (in Spanish). 1 February 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "F.C. Porto: Sereno confirmado como reforço por quatro épocas" [F.C. Porto: Sereno confirmed for four seasons] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 8 June 2010. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Henrique Sereno verstärkt den FC" [Henrique Sereno strengthens FC] (in German). FC Köln. 20 August 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Late goals hand Cologne dramatic win". ESPN Soccernet. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Sereno vuelve a ser blanquivioleta" [Sereno again a blanquivioleta]. El Norte de Castilla (in Spanish). 22 August 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Mainz verpflichtet Henrique Sereno" [Mainz acquires Henrique Sereno] (in German). Bundesliga. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- "Mainz löst Vertrag mit Henrique Sereno auf" [Mainz cancel Henrique Sereno's contract] (in German). Goal.com. 15 June 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- Sarkar, Dhiman (18 December 2016). "Atletico de Kolkata crowned ISL 2016 champions after beating Kerala Blasters FC". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "El central Henrique Sereno se convierte en el tercer refuerzo invernal" [Stopper Henrique Sereno becomes the third winter signing] (in Spanish). UD Almería. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Portugal win the day as Halilović enters fray". UEFA.com. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- "Câmara de Elvas aprova voto de louvor ao futebolista Henrique Sereno" [Elvas city hall approves commendation of footballer Henrique Sereno] (in Portuguese). Rádio Portalegre. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2016.