Henry Adams Building
Land and Loan Office Building
Street view of the building
|Location||123 E. State St.|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Louis H. Sullivan|
|Architectural style||Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements|
|NRHP reference #||98000250|
|Added to NRHP||March 19, 1998|
Although it was not designed as a bank, and has never served as such, the building is nonetheless considered to be one of Sullivan's "Jewel Boxes," a series of banks designed and built in the Midwest between 1909 and 1919. As in the other "Jewel Boxes," Sullivan included many windows, both on the street side and in the skylight that allowed a great deal of natural light inside. The simple massing of this small, rectangular building with its clearly defined structure makes it typical of Sullivan's later work. The same massing and similar detailing, particularly the entrance, had been used by Sullivan's former associates Purcell & Elmslie in their slightly larger Exchange State Bank in Grand Meadow, Minnesota in 1910 and it is possible that this design influenced Sullivan. (Brooks) Sullivan was assisted in the design by his draftsman, Parker Berry, who drew the perspectives.
Other Louis Sullivan "jewel boxes"
- Farmers and Merchants Bank, Columbus, Wisconsin (1919)
- Home Building Association Company, Newark, Ohio (1914)
- Merchants' National Bank, Grinnell, Iowa (1914)
- National Farmer's Bank, Owatonna, Minnesota (1908)
- People's Federal Savings and Loan Association, Sidney, Ohio (1918)
- Peoples Savings Bank, Cedar Rapids, Iowa (1912)
- Purdue State Bank, West Lafayette, Indiana (1914)
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Paul H. Johnson. "Land and Loan Office Building". National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-11-20. with photos
- "Louis Sullivan Building". Algona Chamber of Commerce. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- Brooks, H. Allen, The Prairie School: Frank Lloyd Wright and His Contemporaries, University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Ontario, 1972
- Elia, Mario Manieri, Louis Henry Sullivan, Princeton Architectural Press, Princeton NY, 1996
- Gebhard, David & Gerald Mansheim, Building of Iowa, Oxford University Press, New York, 1993
- Twombly, Robert, Louis Sullivan: His Life and Work, Elizabeth Sifton Books - Viking, New York, 1986
- Wilson, Richard Guy and Sidney K. Robinson, The Prairie School in Iowa, Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa, 1977