He was educated at the City of London School and at Balliol College, Oxford. He took holy orders in 1882, and began work in a Liverpool parish, at Mossley Hill. He was Rector of Yattendon from 1885 to 1900; Clark Lecturer at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1900; Professor. of Pastoral Theology at King's College London from 1900 to 1903; Chaplain of Lincoln's Inn from 1900 to 1903;Canon of Westminster from 1902 until 1911 and Dean of Norwich from 1911 until his death. He wrote a book on Francis Atterbury.
- First come I; my name is Jowett.
- There's no knowledge but I know it.
- I am master of this college:
- What I don't know isn't knowledge.
This is the first verse of The Masque of B-ll—l (1880), a scurrilous undergraduate production in 40 verses satirising Balliol figures. It was suppressed at the time; later research has given Beeching credit for 19 of those.
- Love in Idleness: A Volume of Poems (1883) with J. W. Mackail and J. B. B. Nichols
- Love's Looking Glass (1892) with J. W. Mackail and J. B. B. Nichols
- A Paradise of English Poetry, an anthology compiled by Beeching including works by A. W. - Joseph Addison - Sir Francis Bacon - Richard Barnfield - Francis Beaumont - Thomas Lovell Beddoes - William Blake - Nicholas Breton - Emily Jane Brontë - Fulk Greville - William Browne - Robert Burton - George Gordon, Lord Byron - Thomas Campbell - Thomas Campion - Thomas Carew - George Chapman - Thomas Chatterton - Geoffrey Chaucer - Samuel Taylor Coleridge - William Collins - Henry Constable - Richard Corbet - Abraham Cowley - William Cowper - Richard Crashaw - Samuel Daniel - Sir William D'Avenant - Sir John Davies - Walter Davison - Thomas Dekker - John Donne - Michael Drayton - William Drummond - John Dryden - Ebenezer Elliott - Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex - Sir Richard Fanshawe - John Fletcher - Oliver Goldsmith - Thomas Gray - Robert Greene - Frances Greville - William Habington - Edward Herbert, Lord Herbert of Cherbury - George Herbert - Robert Herrick - Thomas Heywood - Thomas Hood - Samuel Johnson - Ebenezer Jones - Benjamin Jonson - John Keats - Henry King - Charles Lamb - Mary Lamb - Walter Savage Landor - Richard Lovelace - John Lylye - James Mabbe - Christopher Marlowe - Andrew Marvell - Jasper Mayne - John Milton - James Graham, Marquis of Montrose - Thomas Moore - Sir Thomas More - Thomas Nash - Edward Vere, Earl of Oxford - George Peele - Mary, Countess of Pembroke - Ambrose Philips - Katherine Philips - Alexander Pope - Matthew Prior - Sir Walter Ralegh - Thomas Sackville, Earl of Dorset - Sir Walter Scott - Sir Charles Sedley - William Shakespeare - Percy Bysshe Shelley - James Shirley - Sir Philip Sidney - John Skelton - Robert Southwell - Edmund Spenser - Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey - James Thomson - Henry Vaughan - Edmund Waller - John Webster - George Wither - Charles Wolfe - William Wordsworth - Sir Henry Wotton - Sir Thomas Wyatt - Edward Young
- Pages from a Private Diary (1898) — published anonymously.
- F. P. Sprent, ‘Beeching, Henry Charles (1859–1919)’, rev. H. C. G. Matthew, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 18 Jan 2016
- The Spectator
- ‘BEECHING, Very Rev. Henry Charles’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920–2016; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014 ; online edn, April 2014 accessed 18 Jan 2016
- 'UNIVERSITY INTELLIGENCE' Daily News (London, England), Tuesday, June 29, 1880; Issue 10670
- Chisholm 1911.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 1908: London Horace Cox, 1908
- Ecclesiastical Intelligence The Times (London, England), Saturday, Oct 25, 1902; pg. 9; Issue 36908
- New Dean Of Norwich The Times (London, England), Friday, Sep 22, 1911; pg. 4; Issue 39697
- Sprent 2004.
- The Masque of B-ll--l online
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Beeching, Henry Charles". Encyclopædia Britannica. 3 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Sprent, F. P.; Matthew, H. C. G. "Beeching, Henry Charles (1859–1919)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/30671. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Henry Beeching|
- Works by Henry Beeching at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Henry Beeching at Internet Archive
- Works by Henry Beeching at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
|This article about an English poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|