Henry Brudenell-Bruce, 5th Marquess of Ailesbury
Henry Augustus Brudenell-Bruce, 5th Marquess of Ailesbury (11 April 1842 – 10 March 1911), styled Lord Henry Brudenell-Bruce from 1878 to 1894, was a British soldier, businessman and Conservative politician.
Ailesbury was the third son of Ernest Brudenell-Bruce, 3rd Marquess of Ailesbury, and his wife the Hon. Louisa Elizabeth, daughter of John Horsley-Beresford, 2nd Baron Decies.
He served in the British Army and achieved the rank of Captain in the 9th Regiment of Foot and Lieutenant-Colonel in the 3rd Battalion of the Duke of Edinburgh's Wiltshire Regiment. Between 1886 and 1892 he sat as Member of Parliament for Chippenham. He was also Chairman of Meux & Co, brewers. In 1894 he succeeded to the marquessate on the early death of his nephew and took his seat in the House of Lords.
Lord Ailesbury married, in 1870, Georgiana Sophia Maria Pinckney, daughter of George Henry Pinckney, go Tawstock, Devon. She died in London on 23 June 1902. Ailesbury remained a widower until his death in March 1911, aged 68. He was succeeded in the marquessate by his son George.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- "Obituary". The Times (36803). London. 25 June 1902. p. 7.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Chippenham
Sir John Dickson-Poynder
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Marquess of Ailesbury