Henry Cavendish (British Army officer)
General Henry Frederick Compton Cavendish (5 November 1789 – 5 April 1873) was a British Army officer, politician and courtier.
Early life and career
He was the third son of George Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington and Lady Elizabeth Compton.
In 1812 he entered Parliament for Derby, a seat which he held until 1835. In 1837, he was appointed Chief Equerry and Clerk Marshal to Queen Victoria, but resigned the post in 1841. On 2 June 1853 he was appointed colonel of The Queen's Bays, a post he held until his death.
Marriages and issue
He married 3 times:
- to Sarah Fawkener (27 May 1789-00 Nov 1817), daughter of William Augustus Fawkener on 24 October 1811 and had four children:
- Elizabeth Georgiana Harriett Cavendish (12 Jan 1812 – 3 January 1892), married first William Bernard Harcourt, Marquis d'Harcourt, and second Lt.-Gen. James Robertson Craufurd
- Sarah Mary Compton Cavendish (27 Aug 1813 – 21 April 1881), married John Campbell, 2nd Earl Cawdor and had issue
- Rachel Cavendish (1815–31 July 1816)
- Lt.-Col. William Henry Frederick Cavendish (31 October 1817 – 11 March 1881), married Lady Emily Augusta Lambton, daughter of John Lambton, 1st Earl of Durham, and had issue
- to Frances Susan Lambton (????-23 November 1840), daughter of William Henry Lambton, on 16 June 1819 and had six children:
- Francis William Henry Cavendish (6 February 1820 – 12 January 1893), married first Lady Eleanor FitzGibbon, daughter of Richard FitzGibbon, 3rd Earl of Clare, and married second Ianthe Skyring, with issue by both.
- Henry Charles Lambton Cavendish (7 May 1821 – 6 October 1839)
- Rev. Charles William Cavendish (24 September 1822 – 21 December 1890), married first Felicia Susan Lygon, daughter of Henry Lygon, 4th Earl Beauchamp, without issue, married second Louisa Cockburn, natural daughter of Sir Alexander Cockburn, 12th Baronet, with issue, and married third Mary Gregg, with issue.
- George Henry Cavendish (9 January 1824 – 21 January 1889), married Emily Victorine Elizabeth Rumbold, Freifrau v. Delmar, daughter of Sir William Rumbold, 3rd Baronet, and had issue
- Augustus John Cavendish (13 September 1825 – 2 October 1825)
- Caroline Fanny Cavendish (11 November 1826 – 25 January 1910), maid of honour to Queen Victoria, member of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, fourth class
- to Susanna Emma Byerlie (died c. 1910) on 28 January 1873, but died two months later.
- Burke's Peerage (1939), s.v. Devonshire, Duke
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Col. Henry Cavendish
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Derby
With: Edward Coke 1812–1818
Thomas Wenman Coke 1818–1826
Samuel Crompton 1826–1830
Edward Strutt 1830–1835
Sir Thomas Montresor
| Colonel of the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays)
Sir Henry Dalrymple White
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|