Henry Conyngham, 8th Marquess Conyngham
Styled Viscount Slane until 1974 and Earl of Mount Charles from 1974 until 2009, he succeeded his father in the marquessate and other titles in 2009. However, in the Republic of Ireland frequently (and erroneously) he remains referred to as Lord Mountcharles, his former courtesy title. He also inherited the UK peerage title Baron Minster, of Minster Abbey in the County of Kent, created in 1821 for his ancestor, the 1st marquess thereby giving the Marquesses Conyngham the automatic right to sit in the British House of Lords (until 1999).
As Earl of Mount Charles, he unsuccessfully contested the Louth seat in 1992 for Fine Gael. In 1997 he stood for election to the Seanad Éireann for Trinity College Dublin, and ran again without success as a Fine Gael candidate for the European Parliament in 2004.
Lord and Lady Conyngham divide their time between Beauparc House and Slane Castle in County Meath; the latter was the family's principal ancestral seat until it was badly damaged by fire in 1992, but has now been restored.
The Marquess Conyngham enjoys a high profile in Ireland as the author of a weekly column in the Irish Daily Mirror. He has been dubbed the rock and roll aristocrat or the rock and roll peer owing to the very successful series of rock concerts he has hosted since 1981, held in the natural amphitheatre in the grounds of Slane Castle. These concerts have included performances by The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Queen, U2, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Guns N' Roses, Oasis and Madonna. Lord Conyngham received the Industry Award at the 2010 Meteor Awards. In his autobiography Public Space–Private Life: A Decade at Slane Castle, he described his business career and the challenges of being an Anglo-Irish peer in modern Ireland, and how being Anglo-Irish has gradually become more accepted there.
Marriages & Children
Conyngham married Juliet Ann Kitson in 1971. They had two children and were divorced in 1985:
- Alexander Burton Conyngham, Earl of Mount Charles (born 30 January 1975), married Carina Bolton, granddaughter of the 4th Baron Terrington, having a daughter and two sons:
- Lord Wolfe Conyngham (born 1978), celebrity chef
- Lady Henrietta Tamara Juliet Conyngham, (born 1976), married Thomas, 6th Earl of Lichfield (son of the celebrated photographer, Patrick Lichfield);
Conyngham was married secondly in 1985 to Lady Iona Charlotte Grimston (born 1953), youngest daughter of John Grimston, 6th Earl of Verulam. They have a daughter:
- Lady Tamara Jane Conyngham (born 1991)
|Ancestors of Henry Conyngham, 8th Marquess Conyngham|
- Henry Vivien Pierpont Conyngham, 8th Marquess Conyngham thePeerage.com
- "Mount Charles lands music industry gong". Hot Press. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- Google Groups – Peerage News
- "Mount Charles". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Lord and Lady Wolfe Conyngham at Maison Dauphin New Collection, Paris
- "The Earl of Lichfield and Lady Henrietta Conyngham - Engagements Announcements". The Daily Telegraph (London). 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2012-04-26.
- Michael Rhodes "7th Marquess Conyngham" 7 March 2009, Peerage News blog.
- Public Space-Private Life: A Decade at Slane Castle, September 1989, Faber & Faber
|Peerage of Ireland|