Henry Cow discography
|Henry Cow discography|
Henry Cow, 1975
The Henry Cow discography is a list of officially released recordings by English avant-rock group Henry Cow.[nb 1] During their period of activity from 1968 to 1978, they released six albums, including two with German/English avant-pop trio Slapp Happy, and one double live album. Hopes and Fears (1978), considered by some to be "the lost Henry Cow album", was originally recorded as a Henry Cow album, but when some of the band members were unhappy about the predominance of song-oriented material, it was released under the name of Art Bears.
In 2006 Recommended Records, Chris Cutler's independent record label, released a 7-CD box set, the Henry Cow Box comprising CD remasters of the original six albums. In 2009, to mark the anniversary of the formation of Henry Cow, Recommended Records released a 9-CD plus one DVD box set, The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set that contained previously unreleased recordings made between 1972 and 1978. The DVD, a 75-minute video of Henry Cow performing in Vevey, Switzerland in August 1976, is the only known video recording of the band.
|1973||Legend *[nb 2]||LP||Virgin (UK)||August 1973|
|1974||Unrest *||LP||Virgin (UK)||May 1974|
|1975||Desperate Straights *||LP||Virgin (UK)||March 1975||Collaborative album with Slapp Happy.|
|In Praise of Learning *||LP||Virgin (UK)||May 1975||Collaborative album with Slapp Happy.|
|1979||Western Culture *||LP||Broadcast (UK)||1979|
|1976||Concerts *||2xLP||Compendium (Norway)||1976|
|2008||Stockholm & Göteborg||CD||Recommended (UK)||September 2008||Part of The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set, released separately in advance of the box set's release.|
|1991||The Virgin Years – Souvenir Box||3xCD||East Side Digital (US)||1991||Contains re-mixed versions of Henry Cow's three albums released on Virgin Records, including four previously unreleased bonus tracks, a 24 page booklet and a Henry Cow fold-out family-tree.|
|2006||Henry Cow Box||7xCD||Recommended (UK)||December 2006||Contains the six original Henry Cow albums released between 1973 and 1979; Concerts includes Henry Cow's Greasy Truckers Live at Dingwalls Dance Hall set; bonus CD by the Orckestra given to advance subscribers of the box set.|
|2009||The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set
||9xCD + 1xDVD||Recommended (UK)||January 2009||Contains previously unreleased and mostly live recordings made between 1972 and 1978; bonus CD given to advance subscribers of the box set.|
Albums with, or by other artists containing previously unreleased Henry Cow tracks.
Greasy Truckers Live at Dingwalls Dance Hall
|2xLP||Caroline (UK)||1974||Four tracks by Henry Cow; later released on the CD reissues of Concerts.|
Hopes and Fears
|LP||Recommended (UK)||May 1978||Nine tracks by Henry Cow; originally recorded as a Henry Cow album, but released under the name of Art Bears.|
Recommended Records Sampler
|2xLP||Recommended (UK)||May 1982||Two tracks by Henry Cow: "Slice" (a Western Culture outtake) and "Viva Pa Ubu" (a Hopes and Fears outtake); later released as bonus tracks on the 2001 CD reissue of Western Culture.|
The Last Nightingale
|LP||Recommended (UK)||November 1984||One track by Henry Cow: "Bittern Storm Revisited" (a remix of "Bittern Storm over Ülm" from Unrest).|
|CD||RecRec Music (Switzerland)||1990||One track by Henry Cow: "Waking Against Sleep" (a Western Culture outtake); not released anywhere else.[nb 3]|
– The highlighted albums are the six definitive albums Henry Cow made during their existence.
- Over ten bootleg recordings of Henry Cow music have been released. Later, many of these recordings were cleaned up and released on The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set.
- Legend is also known as The Henry Cow Legend and Leg End.
- It has been reported that "Waking Against Sleep" on this reissue of Gravity may be the same recording as "The Herring People" on The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set. See the song notes and this talk page.
- Ramond, Michel; Roussel, Patrice; Vuilleumier, Stephane. "Discography of Fred Frith". New York Downtown Scene and Other Miscellaneous Discographies. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Special feature: Henry Cow's bootlegs". Sonic Asymmetry. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Temple, Alex. "Art Bears, Hopes and Fears". Progweed. Retrieved 21 May 2009.
- The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set DVD liner notes.