Henry Crowe (vicar)
|Born||14 March 1769|
|Died||18 December 1851 (aged 82)|
He was born at Stoke Ferry, Norfolk, the son of the Rev. Henry Crowe, Rector of Burnham Deepdale. After schooling in Norwich, he matriculated at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge in 1786, graduating B.A. in 1790. He was a Fellow of Clare College (1793–1800) and obtained his M.A. in 1794.
Crowe was the author of the book Zoophilos, published in 1819. It was an early work supportive of animal welfare and criticised the mistreatment of animals such as bullbaiting, cockfighting, and bearbaiting. He also criticised methods of animal slaughter and types of animal experimentation and testing. Crowe opposed vivisection and his book contains the chapter, On Cruelty in philosophical researches which compares vivisectional cruelties to the inquisition. He was an opponent of field sports, especially hunting.
- Zoophilos, Or, Considerations on the Moral Treatment of Inferior Animals (1819)
- Animadversions on Cruelty to the Brute Creation (1825)
- "Rev Henry Crowe MA: Vicar of Buckingham". JJ Heath-Caldwell. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- Venn, John. (1898). Biographical History of Gonville and Caius College: 1349-1897. Cambridge University Press. p. 111
- "Crowe, Henry (CRW785H)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Sherry, Clifford J. (1994). Animal Rights: A Reference Handbook. ABC-CLIO. p. 115
- Magel, Charles R. (1989). Keyguide to Information Sources in Animal Rights. Mansell Publishing. p. 77
- French, Richard D. (1975). Antivivisection and Medical Science in Victorian Society. Princeton University Press. p. 24. ISBN 978-0-691-65520-8
- Atalić, Bruno (2012). "Historical development and ethical considerations of vivisectionist and antivivisectionist movement". Jahr: Annual of the Department of Social Sciences and Medical Humanities. 3 (6): 399–414.
- May, Allyson N. (2013). The Fox-Hunting Controversy, 1781-2004: Class and Cruelty. Routledge. p. 55, p. 82. ISBN 978-1-4094-4220-2
- "Zoophilos, Or, Considerations on the Moral Treatment of Inferior Animals". The Gentleman's Magazine. 89 (2): 249–250. 1819.
- "Zoophilos, Or, Considerations on the Moral Treatment of Inferior Animals". The Monthly Review. 93: 223. 1820.
- "Animadversions on Cruelty to the Brute Creation". The Gentleman's Magazine. 95 (2): 58–59. 1825.