Henry Cubitt, 2nd Baron Ashcombe
|The 2nd Baron Ashcombe|
|Born||14 March 1867|
|Died||27 October 1947(aged 80)|
|Spouse(s)||Maud Marianne Calvert|
|Father||George Cubitt, 1st Baron Ashcombe|
Education and career
Cubitt was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. He was Conservative Party Member of Parliament (MP) for Reigate between 1892 and 1906. He later served as Lord Lieutenant of Surrey from 1905 to 1939, and was appointed to the Order of the Bath as a Companion (CB) in 1911.
Denbies, a large estate in Surrey, was included in his inheritance from his father. The payment of death duties and the upkeep of large estates during World War I resulted in large parts of the estate being auctioned on 19 September 1921.
He married Maud Marianne Calvert, daughter of Colonel Archibald Motteux Calvert and Constance Maria Georgiana Peters, on 21 August 1890. They had six sons, three of whom were killed in the Great War:
- Henry Archibald Cubitt (born 3 January 1892, died 15 September 1916)
- Alick George Cubitt (born 16 January 1894, died 24 November 1917)
- Hon. William Hugh Cubitt (born 30 May 1896, died 24 March 1918)
- Roland Calvert Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe (born 26 January 1899, died 28 October 1962), married Sonia, daughter of Hon. George Keppel and Alice Keppel
- Archibald Edward Cubitt (born 16 January 1901, died 13 February 1972) - married first Lady Irene Helen Pratt, and later Sibell Margaret Norman
- Charles Guy Cubitt (born 13 February 1903, died 1979) - married Rosamund Mary Edith Cholmeley
Styles of address
- 1867–1892: Mr Henry Cubitt
- 1892: Mr Henry Cubitt MP
- 1892–1906: The Honourable Henry Cubitt MP
- 1906–1911: The Honourable Henry Cubitt
- 1911–1917: The Honourable Henry Cubitt CB
- 1917–1940: The Right Honourable The Lord Ashcombe CB
- 1940–1947: The Right Honourable The Lord Ashcombe CB DL
Death and burial
He died on 27 October 1947 and is buried in the churchyard of St Barnabas Church, Ranmore Common, Surrey.
- "Cubitt, Henry (CBT886H)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "No. 12365". The Edinburgh Gazette. 20 June 1911. p. 621.
- "No. 34838". The London Gazette. 26 April 1940. p. 2473.
- Fortescue, Stephen E. D. (1993), The House on the Hill: the Story of Ranmore and Denbies, p. 47, ISBN 095209150X
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Cubitt
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Reigate
Harry Cunningham Brodie
The Viscount Midleton
|Lord Lieutenant of Surrey
Sir John Malcolm Fraser, Bt
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1860s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|