Henry Dalziel, 1st Baron Dalziel of Kirkcaldy
James Henry Dalziel, 1st Baron Dalziel of Kirkcaldy PC (24 April 1868 – 15 July 1935), known as Sir Henry Dalziel, Bt, between 1918 and 1921, was a British newspaper proprietor, Liberal politician and supporter of David Lloyd George.
Background and education
Originally a journalist, Dalziel became Member of Parliament (MP) for Kirkcaldy Burghs in 1892. He was also an outspoken advocate of home rule for Scotland, Ireland and Wales. After his retirement he joined the National Party of Scotland. In 1914 he became sole owner of Reynolds's News, in which he had long had a financial interest. He also bought the Pall Mall Gazette in 1917 and the same year was given the Freedom of the City of Kirkcaldy. Lloyd George made him chairman and political director of the Daily Chronicle in 1918. He sold all his newspaper interests in 1922. Dalziel was knighted in 1908, appointed to the Privy Council in 1912, created a Baronet, of Brooklands, Chobham, in the County of Surrey, in 1918 and raised to the peerage as Baron Dalziel of Kirkcaldy, of Marylebone in the County of London, in the 1921 Birthday Honours. A recently published book "Kirkcaldy's Parliamentarians" by David Potter has an informative chapter on Dalziel's political life.
Lord Dalziel of Kirkcaldy married Amy (née Thackery), widow of Donald Macreae, in July 1928 at the British Embassy in Paris. They had no children. He died in July 1935, aged 67, when the baronetcy and barony became extinct.
- thepeerage.com James Henry Dalziel, 1st and last Baron Dalziel of Kirkcaldy
- "Men and Women of Today". Dundee Courier. 25 April 1931. Retrieved 18 December 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive. (subscription required (. ))
- "no. 28206". The London Gazette. 18 December 1908. p. 9650.
- "no. 28621". The London Gazette. 25 June 1912. p. 4549.
- "no. 30655". The London Gazette. 26 April 1918. p. 5064.
- "(Supplement) no. 32346". The London Gazette. 4 June 1921. p. 4529.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Dalziel
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir George Campbell
|Member of Parliament for Kirkcaldy Burghs
1892 – 1921
|Editor of Reynold's News
1907 – 1920
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Dalziel of Kirkcaldy
1921 – 1935
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
(of Brooklands, Chobham, in the County of Surrey)
1918 – 1935
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Liberal Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|