Henry Dillon, 11th Viscount Dillon
Henry's father was the Hon. Arthur Dillon (1670–1733), a son of the 7th Viscount, who was Colonel and founder of the Dillon Regiment in 1688. In 1711, Arthur was created Count Dillon in France, and Earl of Dillon in 1721, by the "Old Pretender" James Francis Edward Stuart (recognized by Jacobites as "King James III and VIII"). Henry's mother was Catherine, or perhaps Christina, a daughter of Ralph Sheldon, who served as a maid of honor to Queen Mary of Modena, consort to James II.
On 26 October 1744 Dillon married Lady Charlotte Lee, eldest surviving child of George Lee, 2nd Earl of Lichfield. She was the great-granddaughter of Charles II and Barbara Villiers. Charlotte Lee inherited the estate of her uncle, the fourth Earl, when he died childless in 1776. Therefore, Lord Dillon's wife was collateral heiress of Sir Henry Lee, who built the original Lodge in Wychwood Forest in Oxfordshire. From his mother, Charles Dillon-Lee, their son, inherited the estate of Ditchley but not the title of Lichfield. Ditchley remained the home of the Viscounts Dillon until 1934.
His children by the Lady Charlotte Lee of Lichfield (died 11 June 1794) include:
- Charles (6 November 1745 – 9 November 1813); his successor.
- Frances (1747 - 1 March 1825), m. Sir William Jerningham, 6th Baronet, 7th Baron Stafford
- Arthur (3 September 1750 – 13 April 1794); a general in the French service who was guillotined. This officer was father, by his second wife, of Madame Bertrand (who married General Bertrand), so celebrated for her devotion to the Emperor Napoleon.
- Laura (born c. 1753)
- Charlotte (11 September 1755 – 15 August 1782); m. Valentine Browne, 1st Earl of Kenmare (1754–1812)
- Theobald (born c. 1757), Count
- Henry (28 June 1759 – 7 July 1837); lieutenant-colonel.
- John Debrett (1828). Debrett's Peerage of England, Scotland, and Ireland. [Another]. p. 748.
|Henry Dillon, 11th Viscount Dillon||Father:
Gen. Arthur Dillon
Theobald Dillon, 7th Viscount Dillon
Sir Lucas Dillon of Lough-Glyn
Rose Dillon of Streamstown
Mary Talbot of Templeogue, Ireland
Sir Henry Talbot
of Templeogue and Mount Talbot
Catherine (or Christina) Sheldon
Gen. Ralph Sheldon (died 1723)
Edward Sheldon (1599–1687) of Beoley
Mary (or Margaret) Wake of Antwerp
|Peerage of Ireland|