|Henry Schley Ervay|
|Mayor of Dallas, Texas|
|Preceded by||Benjamin Long|
|Succeeded by||Benjamin Long|
June , 1834|
Elmira, New York
|Died||August 21, 1911
San Diego, California
|Resting place||Oakland Cemetery, Dallas|
|Spouse(s)||Maria Louise Hickman|
|Children||Maude E. Ervay, Henry S. Ervay, Jr.|
Henry Schley Ervay (June 1834 – August 21, 1911), merchant, capitalist, was mayor of Dallas (1870–1872), and continued to be involved in the affairs of the city by serving as alderman. (1873–1882).
Henry S. Ervay was born to Jacob Ervay and Sophia Schley in Elmira, New York in 1834. He arrived in Texas in 1857. He married Maria Louise Hickman, daughter of James P. Hickman and Mary Bronaugh on 20 May 1862. The couple had four children: Jimmie Ervay, Harry Ervay, Henry S. Ervay, Jr., and Maude E. Ervay. The first two children died in infancy.
Henry Ervay was engaged in several enterprises as a young man including surveying and exploring in the American and Canadian west and working for the Butterfield Overland Mail Company. He and other Texans volunteered to serve with General William Walker in the war for freedom in Nicaragua.
He was appointed mayor by Governor Edmund J. Davis in 1870. Even though Ervay was elected by the citizens in 1871, General Joseph J. Reynolds, head of the federal military, ordered his removal and the appointment of Dr. J. W. Haynes. Ervay refused and was jailed, but later released on order of the State Supreme Court.
He left Texas with his family for Cripple Creek Colorado around 1888 to engage in mining enterprises. He later moved to San Diego, California 
Ervay died in San Diego in 1911 and was interred at the Oakland Cemetery in Dallas, Texas. He was a member of the Tannehill Lodge No. 52, A. F. and A. M. which conducted the funeral services.
- Voter Registration of 1867-1869, Vol 6 (Chambers County) to Vol 8 (Dallas County). Reel 3 (microfilm) Dallas County, No. 147
- Dallas County, Texas Marriage Index. Aug 1846 - Oct 1963 "E"(microfilm)
- William S. Speer. Encyclopedia of the New West. United States Biographical Pub. Co., Marshall, Tex. 1881. p 117-118.
- John M. McCoy. "Life of Henry Ervay, Pioneer of Dallas." The Dallas Morning News, January 7, 1912, p. II-4.
- WPA Dallas Guide and History. Written and compiled from 1936 to 1942 by the workers of the Writers' Program of the Works Projects Administration in the City of Dallas. Maxine Holmes and Gerald D. Saxon (editors). Reprint of 1940 edition. Dallas Public Library, Texas Center for the Book University of North Texas Press, 1992, p.63
- 1900 Census. Denver, Araphoe County, Colorado, NARA Publication T623, Roll 119, E.D. 72, Sheet 8
- 1910 Census. San Diego, San Diego, California. NARA Publication T624, Roll 94, E. D. 145, Sheet 145
- "Former Dallas Mayor Buried." Dallas Times Herald, August 31, 1911, p. 6