Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Grafton
|Preceded by||Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton|
|Born||6 April 1978|
Olivia Sladen (m. 2010)
|Relations||12th Marquess of Lothian (grandfather)|
11th Duke of Grafton (grandfather)
|Parents||James FitzRoy, Earl of Euston|
Lady Clare Amabel Margaret Kerr
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
Royal Agricultural College
Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton (born 6 April 1978), known as Harry Grafton, is an English peer and music promoter. He inherited the Dukedom of Grafton from his grandfather, Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton, on 7 April 2011. He is also a descendant of Charles II of England.
Grafton is the son of James Oliver Charles FitzRoy, Earl of Euston (1947–2009), and his wife, Lady Clare Amabel Margaret Kerr, the daughter of the 12th Marquess of Lothian. He was known as Viscount Ipswich from his birth until he succeeded to the dukedom. On his father's death in 2009 he could have taken the title of Earl of Euston, but did not do so.
His ancestor Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton (1663–1690), was an illegitimate son of King Charles II by his mistress Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland. Grafton shares the surname FitzRoy (meaning "son of the king") with other natural lines descended from Charles II. The ducal coat of arms includes Charles II's royal coat of arms crossed by a baton sinister, indicating both the family's royal lineage and its origin in illegitimacy.
From 2002 to 2004 he worked in the United States in music business management, as a radio host in Nashville, Tennessee, and in 2005–2006 as a merchandise co ordinator for the Rolling Stones on the A Bigger Bang tour.
In 2007, he moved to London and in 2009, due to the death of his father, he returned to Suffolk to help manage the Euston Estate. He currently promotes live music events through his estate while modernising its 10,000-acre farm.
On 14 August 2010, Viscount Ipswich, as he was then known, married Olivia Margaret M. Sladen at Snowshill, Gloucestershire. Their engagement had been announced on 15 April 2010. Together, they are the parents of two sons and a daughter:
- Alfred James Charles FitzRoy, Earl of Euston, who was born on 26 December 2012.
- Lady Rosetta Christina Clare FitzRoy, who was born on 20 July 2015.
- Lord Rafe FitzRoy, who was born on the 16th March 2017.
Titles and styles
- 6 April 1978 - 7 April 2011: Viscount Ipswich
- 7 April 2011 - present: His Grace The Duke of Grafton
|Ancestors of Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton.|
- Charles Mosley, ed., Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, vol. II (2004), ISBN 0-9711966-2-1, pp. 1616–1619
- Michael Rhodes posting to Peerage News message list, 15 April 2010
- David Clune, Ken Turner, The Governors of New South Wales 1788-2010 (2009, ISBN 1862877432), p. 203
- Bernard Falk, The Royal Fitz Roys: dukes of Grafton through four centuries (1950), p. 7
- Owen, Jane (17 April 2014). "Duke of Grafton uses R&B to restore Euston Hall's pleasure grounds". Financial Times. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- 'GRAFTON, 12th Duke of' in Who's Who 2014 (London: A. & C. Black, 2014); online edition by Oxford University Press, December 2013, accessed 8 March 2014 (subscription site)
- Richard Eden, Class warrior Lord Mandelson upsets his 'toffee-nosed' pals dated 17 April 2010 from The Daily Telegraph at telegraph.co.uk, accessed 8 March 2014
- Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy at thepeerage.com, accessed 11 April 2011
- "GRAFTON". Daily Telegraph. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (2000), p. 704
|Peerage of England|
| Duke of Grafton
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Richmond
The Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Beaufort