Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Grafton
|Preceded by||Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton|
|Born||6 April 1978|
|Children||Alfred FitzRoy, Earl of Euston
Lady Rosetta FitzRoy
Lord Rafe FitzRoy
|Parents||James FitzRoy, Earl of Euston
Lady Clare Kerr
Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton (born 6 April 1978), known as Harry Grafton, is an English peer and music promoter. He inherited the Dukedom of Grafton from his grandfather, Hugh FitzRoy, 11th Duke of Grafton, on 7 April 2011. He is also a descendant of the first British Prime Minister Sir Robert Walpole.
Grafton is the son of James Oliver Charles FitzRoy, Earl of Euston (1947–2009) and his wife, Lady Clare Amabel Margaret Kerr, the daughter of Peter Kerr, 12th Marquess of Lothian. He was known as Viscount Ipswich from his birth until he succeeded to the dukedom. On his father's death in 2009 he could have taken the title of Earl of Euston, but did not do so.
His ancestor Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton (1663–1690) was an illegitimate son of King Charles II by his mistress Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland. Grafton shares the surname FitzRoy (meaning "son of the king") with other natural lines descended from Charles II. The ducal coat of arms includes Charles II's royal coat of arms crossed by a baton, indicating both the family's royal lineage and its origin in illegitimacy.
From 2002 to 2004 he worked in the United States in music business management, as a radio host in Nashville, Tennessee, and in 2005–2006 as a merchandiser for the Rolling Stones on the A Bigger Bang tour.
In 2007 he moved to London and in 2009, due to the death of his father, he returned to Suffolk to help manage the Euston estate. He currently promotes live music events through his estate while modernising its 10,000-acre farm.
On 14 August 2010, Viscount Ipswich, as he was then known, married Olivia Margaret M. Sladen at Snowshill, Gloucestershire. Their engagement had been announced on 15 April 2010. Their son, Alfred James Charles FitzRoy, Earl of Euston, was born on 26 December 2012. A daughter, Lady Rosetta Christina Clare FitzRoy, was born on 20 July 2015.. A second son, Lord Rafe FitzRoy, was born on the 16th March 2017.
Titles and styles
- 6 April 1978 - 7 April 2011: Viscount Ipswich
- 7 April 2011 - present: His Grace The Duke of Grafton
|Ancestors of Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry FitzRoy, 12th Duke of Grafton.|
- Charles Mosley, ed., Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, vol. II (2004), ISBN 0-9711966-2-1, pp. 1616–1619
- Michael Rhodes posting to Peerage News message list, 15 April 2010
- David Clune, Ken Turner, The Governors of New South Wales 1788-2010 (2009, ISBN 1862877432), p. 203
- Bernard Falk, The Royal Fitz Roys: dukes of Grafton through four centuries (1950), p. 7
- Owen, Jane (17 April 2014). "Duke of Grafton uses R&B to restore Euston Hall’s pleasure grounds". Financial Times. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- 'GRAFTON, 12th Duke of' in Who's Who 2014 (London: A. & C. Black, 2014); online edition by Oxford University Press, December 2013, accessed 8 March 2014 (subscription site)
- Richard Eden, Class warrior Lord Mandelson upsets his 'toffee-nosed' pals dated 17 April 2010 from The Daily Telegraph at telegraph.co.uk, accessed 8 March 2014
- Henry Oliver Charles FitzRoy at thepeerage.com, accessed 11 April 2011
- "GRAFTON". Daily Telegraph. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (2000), p. 704
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Grafton