Henry Ford Kamel
|Henry Ford Kamel|
|Member of the Ghana Parliament
January 2005 – December 2012
|Preceded by||Emil Kwadzo Brantuo|
|Volta Regional Minister|
26 March 2012 – 25 December 2012
|President||John Atta Mills|
|Preceded by||Joseph Amenowode|
|Deputy Minister for Lands and Forestry|
? – March 2012
|President||John Atta Mills|
21 December 1961|
|Died||25 December 2012
|Political party||National Democratic Congress|
|Committees||Special Budget Committee
Works and Housing
Henry Ford Kofi Kamel (21 December 1961 — 25 December 2012) was a Ghanaian banker and politician. He was the Member of Parliament for the Buem constituency from January 2005 and also the Volta Region Minister from March 2012 until his death on 25 December 2012.
Kamel trained as a banker and worked as the Managing Director of the North Volta Rural Bank Limited.
Kamel was a member of the National Democratic Congress. He won his last election on 7 December 2012 by a majority of 13,627. He first won the seat in the 2004 election replacing Emil Kwadzo Brantuo as the MP in the 4th Parliament of the 4th Republic with a majority of 10,488. He successfully defended his seat in the 2008 Ghanaian general election. He won 65.8% of the vote.
In March 2012, President John Atta Mills appointed Henry Kamel as the new Volta Regional Minister, replacing Joseph Amenowode. He stayed in this post until his death on Christmas Day in 2012. Prior to this appointment, he was the Deputy Minister for Lands and Forestry.
One of his notable achievements was bringing peace to the Gbi Traditional Area between the indigenes of Hohoe and the Zongo Community. The Paramount chief of the Gbi Traditional Area, Togbega Gabusu VI, paid tribute to those peace efforts.
Kamel was reported to have returned to his home town, Guaman in the Jasikan District of the Volta Region on 24 December 2012. While chatting with some family and friends the next day, he suddenly collapsed. He died before arrival at the Jasikan Government Hospital. He was 51.
- List of Mills government ministers
- List of Mahama government ministers
- National Democratic Congress
- Buem constituency
- "Hon. Henry Ford Kamel". Official website. Parliament of Ghana. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Members Of Parliament - Profile: Hon. Henry Ford Kamel (NDC) (Buem)". Official website. GhanaDistricts.com. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Election 2012: Buem - Parliamentary Results". Election news. Ghana Home Page. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Elections 2004 - Ghana's Presidential and Parliamentary Elections" (PDF). Election report. Friedrich Ebert Stiftung. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Parliamentary Results Buem (Volta Region)". Election 2008 Results. Ghana Home Page. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "President Mills swears-in Victor Smith, Kamel Ford as Regional Ministers". General news. Ghana Home Page. 26 March 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Ministerial reshuffle: Two ministers sacked!". Politics. MyJoyOnline. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Gbi chief weeps over death of Regional Minister". General news. Ghana Home Page. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Minister Mystery Death: Blow-By-Blow Account". General news. Ghana Home Page. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
|Parliament of Ghana|
Emil Kwadzo Brantuo
|Member of Parliament for Buem
2005 – 2012
|Volta Regional Minister