Baron Teynham, of Teynham in the County of Kent, is a title in the Peerage of England and the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1616 for Sir John Roper. Edward Hasted records it as 'Lord Teynham'. His great-great-grandson, the fifth Baron, served as Lord Lieutenant of Kent. The latter's third son, the eighth Baron, married, as his second wife, Anne Barrett-Lennard, 16th Baroness Dacre. His eldest son from this marriage, the Hon. Charles Roper, was the father of Trevor Charles Roper, 18th Baron Dacre, and Gertrude Trevor Roper, 19th Baroness Dacre (see the Baron Dacre for more information). His youngest son from this marriage, Reverend Hon. Richard Henry Roper, was the great-great-great-grandfather of the historian Hugh Trevor-Roper, Baron Dacre of Glanton.
The eighth Baron was succeeded by his eldest son from his first marriage to the Hon. Catherine Smythe, the ninth Baron. He died unmarried and was succeeded by his younger brother, the tenth Baron. The latter's grandson, the fourteenth Baron, assumed in 1788 by Royal licence the surname of Curzon in lieu of his patronymic but in 1813 he resumed by Royal licence his original surname of Roper in addition to that of Curzon. His great-great-grandson, the nineteenth Baron, served as Deputy Chairman of Committees in the House of Lords from 1946 to 1959. As of 2014[update] the title is held by the latter's son, the twentieth Baron, who succeeded in 1972.
Barons Teynham (1616)
- John Roper, 1st Baron Teynham (c. 1534–1618)
- Christopher Roper, 2nd Baron Teynham (1561–1622)
- John Roper, 3rd Baron Teynham (c. 1591–1628)
- Christopher Roper, 4th Baron Teynham (1621–1673)
- Christopher Roper, 5th Baron Teynham (d. 1689)
- John Roper, 6th Baron Teynham (d. 1697)
- Christopher Roper, 7th Baron Teynham (d. 1699)
- Henry Roper, 8th Baron Teynham (c. 1676–1723)
- Philip Roper, 9th Baron Teynham (1707–1727)
- Henry Roper, 10th Baron Teynham (c. 1708–1781)
- Henry Roper, 11th Baron Teynham (1734–1786)
- Henry Roper, 12th Baron Teynham (1764–1800)
- John Roper, 13th Baron Teynham (1767–1824)
- Henry Francis Roper-Curzon, 14th Baron Teynham (1767–1842)
- Henry Roper-Curzon, 15th Baron Teynham (1789–1842)
- George Henry Roper-Curzon, 16th Baron Teynham (1798–1889)
- Henry George Roper-Curzon, 17th Baron Teynham (1822–1892)
- Henry John Philip Sidney Roper-Curzon, 18th Baron Teynham (1867–1936)
- Christopher John Henry Roper-Curzon, 19th Baron Teynham (1896–1972)
- John Christopher Ingham Roper-Curzon, 20th Baron Teynham (b. 1928)
The heir apparent is the present holder's son Hon. David John Henry Ingham Roper-Curzon (b. 1965).
The heir apparent's heir apparent is his son Henry Christopher John Ingham Roper-Curzon (b. 1986).
- Baron Dacre
- Hugh Trevor-Roper, Baron Dacre of Glanton
- Birdy (singer), granddaughter of the 20th Baron
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]