Henry G. Bonebrake
Henry G. Bonebrake
|Born||June 21, 1838|
|Died||October 26, 1912 (aged 74)|
Green Hill Cemetery
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Army|
|Unit||Company G, 17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry|
|Battles/wars||Battle of Five Forks|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Lieutenant Henry G. Bonebrake (June 21, 1838 - October 26, 1912) was an American soldier who fought in the American Civil War. Bonebrake received the country's highest award for bravery during combat, the Medal of Honor, for his action during the Battle of Five Forks in Virginia on 1 April 1865. He was honored with the award on 3 May 1865.
Bonebrake enlisted into the 17th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry on 12 September 1862. He was elected first sergeant and later commissioned second lieutenant and ultimately first lieutenant on 14 January 1865. During the Battle of Five Forks on 1 April 1865, Bonebrake spotted a color-bearer urging on his fellow Confederates. Bonebrake attempted to take the flag, during which time a fight ensued between the two resulting in Bonebrake capturing the flag. The flag, which then belonged to the 35th Regiment North Carolina State Troops, was later deposited at the War Department and labeled with capture number 340. He was presented with a Medal of Honor on 3 May 1865 for this act of bravery. He mustered out of the army on 21 June 1865, along with the rest of his company.
Following the war Bonebrake continued in teaching. He later got into farming, then owned a grocery store and was an assistant postmaster in 1898. He married twice, first to Cora Walters and then, after her death in 1899, to Clara Palm, who also died before him in 1909.
Medal of Honor citation
- "Henry G. Bonebrake". Military Times. Archived from the original on 25 September 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Civil War (A-L) Medal of Honor Recipients". Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Bonebrake, Henry G." Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Belisle, Richard (29 April 2002). "Civil War soldier to be honored". Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- "Henry G. Bonebrake". Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Dedmondt, Glenn (2003). The Flags of Civil War North Carolina. Pelican Publishing Company. ISBN 1565549929.