Henry Golding (actor)
Golding on The Travel Show in April 2014
Henry Ewan Golding|
5 February 1987
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
|Occupation||Actor, model, television host|
Liv Lo (m. 2016)
Henry Ewan Golding (born February 5, 1987) is a Malaysian actor, model, and television host. He has been a presenter on BBC's The Travel Show since 2014. He is best known for his role as Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians.
Early life and career
Golding was born in Betong, Malaysia and grew up in East Malaysia in Sarawak. His father, Clive Golding, is English. His mother, Margaret Likan Golding, is a Malaysian of Iban ancestry. Henry spent almost 5 years of his childhood in Terengganu, East Coast of Malaysia before his family moved to Surrey, England, when he was 8 years old where he went to The Warwick School, Redhill. He moved to Kuala Lumpur when he was 21 to pursue on-camera roles after working as a hairdresser on Sloane Street in London for a couple of years. Henry is based in Malaysia and Singapore.
In March 2017, after a global casting call, it was announced that Golding would star in the film Crazy Rich Asians alongside Constance Wu. He was first brought to director Jon M. Chu's attention by accountant Lisa-Kim Ling Kuan, and Golding's charm and personality quickly won him his first acting role. Crazy Rich Asians was released in the United States and Canada on August 15, 2018 by Warner Bros. Pictures and was met with high critical praise, becoming the number one movie in U.S. and Canadian theatres over its opening weekend.
Before his marriage, Golding completed his bejalai—the Iban rite of passage into manhood—in the wilderness of Borneo, filming the experience over two months (and carrying the camera equipment himself) for TV show Surviving Borneo on Discovery Channel Asia. His journey ended in him receiving a traditional hand-tapped bejalai tattoo by Ernesto Kalum of Borneoheadhunters tattoo in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. The tattoo on his right thigh is a fig tree that wraps around other trees and takes their form to become the tree itself.
|2007–2010||The 8TV Quickie||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2010–2012||Football Crazy||Himself, as host||ESPN Asia|
|2012||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2014–present||The Travel Show||Himself, as co-presenter||BBC 2/BBC World News|
|2015||Welcome to the Railworld Japan||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2017||Surviving Borneo||Himself, as host||Discovery Channel Asia|
|2018||Crazy Rich Asians||Nick Young||Jon M. Chu|
|A Simple Favor||Sean Townsend||Paul Feig|
Awards and nominations
|2009||Fun Fearless Fabulous – Charming Smile||N/A||Nominated|
|2010||Favorite TV Personality Award||The 8TV Quickie||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||N/A||Won|
|2012||Favorite TV Personality Award||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||N/A||Nominated|
- Dave McNary (26 July 2017). "Henry Golding Signs for 'Simple Favor' Opposite Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick". Variety. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Henry Golding to star alongside Blake Lively". Star2.com. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "The Travel Show - Henry Golding - BBC World News". BBC. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- "What is Henry's Golding's Race and Ethnicity?". 2018. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "There's Something About Henry". 2018. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- Crucchiola, Jordan. "A Hollywood Newcomer Has Been Cast Opposite Constance Wu in Crazy Rich Asians". Vulture. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- "Henry Golding on Instagram: "So this ladies and gentlemen is THE Lisa-Kim I mentioned on @fallontonight ... We had met at an event that I was hosting in Kuala Lumpur, 5…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". Vulture. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Lee, Yen Nee (2018-08-20). "'Crazy Rich Asians' is No. 1 movie in US and Canada over the weekend". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- McNary, Dave (2017-07-26). "'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Henry Golding Joins Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick's 'A Simple Favor'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Jamaluddin, Lira (August 26, 2016). "Henry Golding Weds Liv Lo". marieclaire.com.my. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- "Surviving Borneo". Discovery Channel Asia. 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". vulture.com. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Zaidi Mohamad (12 January 2015). "Kembara Henry Golding di Jepun menerusi Welcome To The Railworld Japan" (in Malay). Berita Harian. Retrieved 4 August 2017.