Golding on The Travel Show in April 2014
Henry Ewan Golding
5 February 1987
Betong, Sarawak, Malaysia
|Occupation||Actor, model, television host|
Liv Lo (m. 2016)
Henry Ewan Golding (born 5 February 1987) is a British-Malaysian actor, model and television host who has been a presenter on BBC's The Travel Show since 2014. He is best known for his role as Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians and Sean Townsend in Paul Feig's thriller A Simple Favor (both in 2018).
Golding was born in Betong, Malaysia and grew up in East Malaysia in Sarawak. His mother, Margaret Likan Golding, is a Malaysian of Iban ancestry. His father, Clive Golding, is English. Henry spent almost 5 years of his childhood in Terengganu on the east coast of Malaysia before his family moved to Surrey, England, when he was 8 years old where he went to The Warwick School, Redhill. He moved to Kuala Lumpur when he was 21 to pursue on-camera roles after working as a hairdresser on Sloane Street in London for a couple of years. Golding is based in Singapore.
In March 2017, after a global casting call, it was announced that Golding would star in the film Crazy Rich Asians alongside Constance Wu. He was first brought to director Jon M. Chu's attention by accountant Lisa-Kim Ling Kuan, and Golding's charm and personality quickly won him his first acting role. Crazy Rich Asians was released in the United States and Canada on 15 August 2018 by Warner Bros. Pictures and was met with high critical praise, becoming the number one movie in U.S. and Canadian theatres over its opening weekend. A month later, Golding appeared in Paul Feig's thriller A Simple Favor, co-starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick, playing Sean, the husband of Lively's character.
Golding will next star in Monsoon, as Kit, a man who travels from London to his birth country of Vietnam to scatter his parents' ashes.
Following the success of Asians, and, to a lesser extent, Favor, Golding was cast opposite Emilia Clarke in romantic comedy Last Christmas, to be directed by Feig (in their second collaboration). Filming is due to commence on November 26, 2018. The film will be released on November 15, 2019. Additionally, Golding was cast alongside Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant, Michelle Dockery in Bush, a crime film to be directed by Guy Richie.
Before his marriage, Golding completed his bejalai—the Iban rite of passage into manhood—in the wilderness of Borneo, filming the experience over two months (and carrying the camera equipment himself) for TV show Surviving Borneo on Discovery Channel Asia. His journey ended in him receiving a traditional hand-tapped bejalai tattoo by Ernesto Kalum of Borneoheadhunters tattoo in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. The tattoo on his right thigh is a fig tree that wraps around other trees and takes their form to become the tree itself.
When interviewed by Michele Manelis of The New Zealand Herald, Golding said of his surname, "Golding is really darn Jewish, isn't it?" ... "My grandfather during the war was in London and as the story goes, he was possibly adopted by a Jewish family by that name. Out of respect he took on their name and it was passed down" ... "So, I'm proud to be an honorary Jew."
|2009||Pisau Cukur||Iskandar Tan Sri Murad||Bernard Chauly||Minor role; Malaysian movie|
|2018||Crazy Rich Asians||Nick Young||Jon M. Chu|
|A Simple Favor||Sean Townsend||Paul Feig|
|The Gentlemen||Guy Ritchie||Post-production|
|2007–2010||The 8TV Quickie||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2010–2012||Football Crazy||Himself, as host||ESPN Asia|
|2012||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2014–present||The Travel Show||Himself, as co-presenter||BBC 2/BBC World News|
|2015||Welcome to the Railworld Japan||Himself, as host||8TV|
|2017||Surviving Borneo||Himself, as host||Discovery Channel Asia|
Awards and nominations
|2009||Fun Fearless Fabulous – Charming Smile||N/A||Nominated|
|2010||Favorite TV Personality Award||The 8TV Quickie||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||N/A||Won|
|2012||Favorite TV Personality Award||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||N/A||Nominated|
- Dave McNary (26 July 2017). "Henry Golding Signs for 'Simple Favor' Opposite Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick". Variety. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Henry Golding to star alongside Blake Lively". Star2.com. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "The Travel Show - Henry Golding - BBC World News". BBC. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "What is Henry's Golding's Race and Ethnicity?". 2018. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "There's Something About Henry". 2018. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- Crucchiola, Jordan. "A Hollywood Newcomer Has Been Cast Opposite Constance Wu in Crazy Rich Asians". Vulture. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Henry Golding on Instagram: "So this ladies and gentlemen is THE Lisa-Kim I mentioned on @fallontonight ... We had met at an event that I was hosting in Kuala Lumpur, 5..."". Instagram. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". Vulture. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Lee, Yen Nee (20 August 2018). "'Crazy Rich Asians' is No. 1 movie in US and Canada over the weekend". CNBC. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- McNary, Dave (26 July 2017). "'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Henry Golding Joins Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick's 'A Simple Favor'". Variety. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- 'Crazy Rich Asians' Actor Henry Golding to Star in 'Monsoon' (Exclusive)
- Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding to Star in 'Last Christmas' (Exclusive)
- Emma Thompson/Paul Feig'S Universal Holiday Comedy ‘Last Christmas’ Shoots November-February in London
- Emilia Clarke & Henry Golding Romantic Comedy ‘Last Christmas’ To Unwrap November 2019
- Matthew McConaughey, Kate Beckinsale, Henry Golding to Star in Guy Ritchie's 'Toff Guys' (EXCLUSIVE)
- Jamaluddin, Lira (26 August 2016). "Henry Golding Weds Liv Lo". marieclaire.com.my. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Surviving Borneo". Discovery Channel Asia. 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". vulture.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Why Crazy Rich Asians is a Hollywood gamechanger." Manelis, Michele. The New Zealand Herald. Published August 23, 2018 Accessed November 14, 2018.
- Zaidi Mohamad (12 January 2015). "Kembara Henry Golding di Jepun menerusi Welcome To The Railworld Japan" (in Malay). Berita Harian. Retrieved 4 August 2017.