Henry Herbert, 17th Earl of Pembroke
|The Earl of Pembroke|
|Born||Henry George Charles Alexander Herbert
19 May 1939
|Died||5 October 2003(aged 64)|
|Title||17th Earl of Pembroke
14th Earl of Montgomery
|Other titles||Lord Herbert (1960-69)|
|Other names||Henry Herbert|
|Predecessor||Sidney Herbert, 16th Earl of Pembroke|
|Successor||William Herbert, 18th Earl of Pembroke|
|Occupation||Film director and producer|
Henry George Charles Alexander Herbert, 17th Earl of Pembroke, 14th Earl of Montgomery (19 May 1939 – 7 October 2003), styled Lord Herbert between 1960 and 1969 and often known simply as Henry Herbert, was a British aristocrat, film director, and producer.
Background and education
Herbert was the only son of the 16th Earl of Pembroke and 13th Earl of Montgomery and his wife, Mary (a daughter of the 1st Marquess of Linlithgow) and a godson of Prince George, Duke of Kent. Through the 11th Earl of Pembroke, he descended from Countess Catherine Vorontsov. He was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford and briefly served with the Royal Horse Guards from 1958–60 before inheriting his father's titles and estate of Wilton House in 1969.
Career in film industry
Herbert's first film was Malachi's Cove (a.k.a. The Seaweed Children, 1974), starring Donald Pleasence and Arthur English amongst others, but it is probably his second film, Emily (1976), a soft-core erotic film starring Koo Stark, which he is best remembered for. He also worked on episodes for the TV series Shoestring and Bergerac, as well as directing the 1998 film, Crossmaheart.
On 20 January 1966 he married Clair Rose Pelly. The couple divorced in 1981. They had four children:
- Lady Sophia Herbert (10 December 1968) she married Alexander Murray-Threipland in 2001. They have one son:
- Finnian Wyndham Murray-Threipland(13 April 2004)
- Lady Emma Herbert (12 March 1969) she married married Robin Vickers in 2005. They have one daughter.
- Lady Flora Herbert (22 September 1970)
- William Alexander Sidney Herbert, 18th Earl of Pembroke (18 May 1978) he married Victoria Bullough on 29 May 2010. They have two children.
In 1988 he married Miranda Juliet Oram (born 1962). They had three daughters.
- Lady Jemima Herbert (4 October 1989)
- Lady Alice Herbert (10 November 1991)
- Lady Katie Herbert (26 August 1997)
Pembroke died in 2003, and his titles and estates passed to his only son, William Herbert.
|Ancestors of Henry Herbert, 17th Earl of Pembroke|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Pembroke
- Henry Herbert, 17th Earl of Pembroke at the Internet Movie Database
- Royal Genealogical Data page
|Peerage of England|
Sidney Charles Herbert
|Earl of Pembroke
William Alexander Sidney Herbert
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a British film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|