Henry Herbert, 1st Earl of Carnarvon
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Carnarvon
The Earl of Carnarvon.
|Master of the Horse|
11 February 1806 – 31 March 1807
|Prime Minister||The Lord Grenville|
|Preceded by||The Marquess of Hertford|
|Succeeded by||The Duke of Montrose|
|Born||20 August 1741|
|Died||3 June 1811 (aged 69)|
|Spouse(s)||Lady Elizabeth Alicia Maria Wyndham (d. 1826)|
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge|
Henry Herbert, 1st Earl of Carnarvon PC (20 August 1741 – 3 June 1811), known as The Lord Porchester from 1780 to 1793, was a British Whig politician. He served as Master of the Horse from 1806 to 1807 in the Ministry of All the Talents headed by Lord Grenville.
Background and education
Herbert was the son of Major-General the Honourable William Herbert (c. 1696 - 31 March 1757), fifth son of Thomas Herbert, 8th Earl of Pembroke. His mother was Catherine Elizabeth Tewes (d. 28 August 1770). Educated at Eton and Magdalene College, Cambridge, he inherited Highclere Castle from his uncle the Honourable Robert Sawyer Herbert in 1769.
Herbert sat in the House of Commons as one of two representatives for Wilton from 1768 to 1780. The latter year he was raised to the peerage as Baron Porchester, of Highclere in the County of Southampton. In 1793 he was further honoured when he was made Earl of the Town and County of Carnarvon, in the Principality of Wales. He later served as Master of the Horse from 1806 to 1807 in the Ministry of All the Talents headed by Lord Grenville and was admitted to the Privy Council in 1806.
- Henry George Herbert, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon (1772–1833).
- Capt. Hon. Charles Herbert (1774–1808).
- Very Rev. Hon. William Herbert (1778–1847).
- Lady Frances Herbert (c. 1782–1830), married Thomas Moreton, 1st Earl of Ducie and had issue.
- Rev. Hon. George Herbert (1789–1825), vicar of Tibenham, Norfolk.
- Hon. Algernon Herbert (1792–1855), antiquary.
Carnarvon died in June 1811, aged 69, and was succeeded in the earldom by his eldest son, Henry. Lady Carnarvon died in 1826.
- "Herbert, Henry (HRBT769H)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- The London Gazette: . 3 October 1780.
- The London Gazette: . 25 June 1793.
- The London Gazette: . 8 February 1806.
- The London Gazette: . 11 February 1806.
- Lundy, Darryl. "Lady Elizabeth Alicia Maria Wyndham". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Lady Frances Herbert". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Lundy, Darryl. "Rev. Hon. George Herbert". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Carnarvon
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Robert Sawyer Herbert
|Member of Parliament for Wilton
With: Nicholas Herbert 1768–1775
Charles Herbert 1775–1780
William Gerard Hamilton
The Marquess of Hertford
|Master of the Horse
The Duke of Montrose
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|New creation||Earl of Carnarvon
|This biography of an earl in the peerage of Great Britain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|