Henry Horenstein at the 2012 Texas Book Festival
New Bedford, Massachusetts, U.S.
Henry Horenstein (born 1947, New Bedford, Massachusetts) is an American artist/photographer. He has worked as a professional photographer, teacher and author since the early 1970s. A student of legendary photographer/teachers Harry Callahan, Aaron Siskind, and Minor White, Horenstein is the author of over 30 books, including a series of photographic textbooks that have been used by hundreds of thousands of students over the past 30 years.
In 2003, Chronicle Books published Honky Tonk: Portraits of Country Music, Horenstein's documentary survey of country music during the late 1970s and early 1980s. W. W. Norton & Company published a revised edition in 2013. Honk Tonk has also presented as an exhibition at many other public and private museums and galleries, notably the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in 2006, Rhode Island School of Design Museum in 2005, The Annenberg Space for Photography in 2014.
In recent years, Horenstein has been working on short documentaries films. His Spoke (2014), a celebration of the iconic Austin, TX dance hall The Broken Spoke, was funded by The Annenberg Foundation and screened at the Austin, Alexandria, Chicago International Movies and Music, Julien Dubuque film festivals, and many other venues.
Horenstein lives in Boston and is professor of photography at Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). His work is represented by Clampart, New York; Carroll & Sons, Boston; Verve Gallery, Santa Fe; Catherine Couturier Gallery, Houston; and Gallerie Vassie, Amsterdam.
- Honky Tonk, WW Norton, 2012
- Digital Photography: A Basic Manual, Little, Brown, 2011
- SHOW, Pond Press, 2010
- Animalia, Pond Press, 2008
- Close Relations, powerhouse Books, 2007
- Humans, Kehrer Verlag, 2004
- Honky Tonk, Chronicle Books, 2003
- Aquatics, Stewart, Tabori, Chang, 2001
- Canine, Pond Press/Consortium Books, 2000
- Creatures, Pond Press/Consortium Books, 1999; (paperback edition) Stewart, Tabori, Chang, 2000
- Branson, MO: Las Vegas of the Ozarks, Artisan/Workman, 1998
- Racing Days, text by Brendan Boyd, Viking, 1987; (paperback edition) Owl Books/Henry Holt, 1995; Pond Press, 1999
- Baseball Days: From the Sandlots To The Show, text by Bill Littlefield, Bulfinch Press/Little, Brown & Co., 1993
- Photography, co-author Russell Hart, Prentice-Hall/Pearson, 2001, 2004
- Color Photography: A Working Manual, Little, Brown & Co., 1995
- Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual, Little, Brown & Co., 2005, 1983, 1974
- Beyond Basic Photography: A Technical Manual, Little, Brown & Co., 1977
- The Photographer’s Source: A Complete Catalog, Simon & Schuster, 1989
- Digital Photography: A Basic Manual, Little Brown, 2001
- Henry Horenstein's Website
- Carroll and Sons
- Verve Gallery
- Catherine Couturier Gallery
- Gallery Vassie
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Interview with Chief Magazine
- Interview with Photo.net
- Interview with The Paris Review
- Black-and-White (and Sepia) Favorites of 2012 | Slate Magazine
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|