Henry Hudson Regional High School
|Henry Hudson Regional High School|
|1 Grand Tour
Highlands, NJ 07732
|Superintendent||Dr. Susan E. Compton|
|Business administrator||Janet Sherlock|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||326 (as of 2013-14)|
|Faculty||40.8 (on FTE basis)|
|District Factor Group||DE|
|Henry Hudson Regional High School|
|One Grand Tour
Highlands, NJ 07732
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Henry Hudson Regional High School District|
Navy Blue and|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Henry Hudson Regional High School is a comprehensive regional public high school and school district which serves students in seventh through twelfth grades from both Atlantic Highlands and Highlands, two communities in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States.
As of the 2013-14 school year, the school had an enrollment of 326 students and 40.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.0:1. There were 72 students (22.1% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 16 (4.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "DE", the fifth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 147th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 101st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 121st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 176th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 159th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 190th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 1 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (80.0%) and language arts literacy (91.6%). The Henry Hudson Regional High School Band competed in a competition that took place at Hershey Park in 2012 and they took home the 1st-place trophy.
The Henry Hudson Regional High School Admirals compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located within Monmouth County and Ocean County, which operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 157 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 49 to 476 students in that grade range.
- Jeff Anderson (born 1970), actor best known for being featured in Clerks and Clerks 2 as Randal Graves.
- Walt Flanagan (born 1967), co-host of Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!, manager of Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash, and star of Comic Book Men.
- Bryan Johnson (born 1967), co-host of the Tell Em' Steve-Dave! and star of Comic Book Men.
- Jason Mewes (born 1974), actor best known for playing the role of foul-mouthed drug dealer "Jay", the vocal half of Jay and Silent Bob.
- Kevin Smith (born 1970), screenwriter and film director.
- Dr. Susan Compton, Superintendent
- Janet Sherlock, Business Administrator
- Lenore Kingsmore, Principal
- School Data for Henry Hudson Regional School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- "Henry Hudson Regional School District by AreaG2". AreaG2, Inc. Retrieved December 25, 2008.
- Henry Hudson Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- Henry Hudson Regional School District 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 11, 2016. "Henry Hudson Regional School is a comprehensive public school which serves two communities of students: Atlantic Highlands and Highlands, NJ."
- About Henry Hudson, Henry Hudson Regional High School. Accessed July 11, 2016. "This school district serves the towns of Atlantic Highlands and Highlands and students in grades seven through twelve."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 9, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 17, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 10, 2012.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Cahillane, Kevin. "For the Stars of 'Clerks,' It's Take Two". The New York Times, July 16, 2006. Accessed October 25, 2007. "Mr. Anderson's film career was a happy accident. While he and Mr. Smith graduated together in 1988 from Henry Hudson Regional High School in Highlands, they were not close until Mr. Anderson began to rent movies from the video store where Mr. Smith worked."
- Muir, John Kenneth. An Askew View 2: The Films of Kevin Smith, Hal Leonard Corporation, 2012. ISBN 1557837945. Accessed February 6, 2013. "Walt Flanagan is one of those friends.... Two years older than Smith, Flanagan attended high school with Smith at Henry Hudson for a time."
- Muir, John Kenneth. An Askew View 2: The Films of Kevin Smith, Hal Leonard Corporation, 2012. ISBN 1557837945. Accessed February 6, 2013. "Bryan Johnson, the director of Vulgar (2000) and the actor who portrays comic book snob Steve-Dave in the View Askew universe was born in Highlands and later attended Highlands Elementary and Henry Hudson regional High School (the latter named after the sea captain who first explored the area in 1609)."
- Kevin Smith biography, TV.com. Accessed February 4, 2007.
- Administration, Henry Hudson Regional High School. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Monmouth County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Superintendent, Henry Hudson Regional High School. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Business Administrator, Henry Hudson Regional High School. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Principal, Henry Hudson Regional High School. Accessed October 13, 2014.
- Silakowski, Ian. "AH Council Introduced to New Tri-District Superintendent", Atlantic Highlands Herald, March 2, 2014. Accessed October 13, 2014. "The first new order of business involved Atlantic Highlands Board of Education President Saranne Weimer introducing Dr. Susan Compton, the Tri-District Superintendent of Schools for Atlantic Highlands and Highlands Elementary, and Henry Hudson Regional School."
- Henry Hudson Regional High School
- Henry Hudson Regional High School's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Henry Hudson Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Henry Hudson Homepage
- Henry Hudson Regional Alumni Association
- Greatschools data for Henry Hudson Regional High School