Henry I, Lord of Mecklenburg
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Henry I, Lord of Mecklenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Anastasia of Pomerania|
|Noble family||House of Mecklenburg|
|Father||John I, Lord of Mecklenburg|
|Mother||Luitgart of Henneberg|
|Died||2 January 1302|
Henry I, Lord of Mecklenburg (nicknamed the Pilgrim, c. 1230 – 2 January 1302) ruled Mecklenburg from 1264 to 1275 and from 1299 until his death.
He was the eldest son of Lord John I. After his father's death, he at first ruled jointly with his brother Albert I. After Albert died in 1265, John ruled alone. Around 1259 he married Anastasia (c. 1245 – 15 March 1317), the daughter of Duke Barnim I of Pomerania.
From 1266 onwards, he required the Jews in Wismar to pay protection money. In the same year, he started the "bread and wine donation" programme, in which 20 churches in the Ilow area would be supplied with communion wine and wafers by the City Hall in Wismar. For many churches in the area, this decree is the first time they are mentioned in a document. In 1270, he undertook a crusade against Lithuania, which had not been Christianized at the time.
In 1271, he made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Along the way, he was taken prisoner and deported to Cairo, where he was held in captivity by the Arabs for 27 years. During his absence, Mecklenburg was ruled by his brothers John II and Nicholas III, after a fight between his brothers and cousins about the regency and the guardianship of his children. After John II died in 1283, Nicholas III ruled alone, until Henry II came of age in 1290.
Henry I died in 1302 and was buried in the ducal crypt in the Doberan Minster.
- Ludgarda (ca. 1260-1261 - bef. 14 December 1283), wife of Przemysł II of Greater Poland.
- Henry II "the Lion" (ca. 1267 - 1329).
- John III (ca. 1270 - 1315).
- This decree is included in the Wismarschen Weinregister von 1479, Mecklenburg Deed Book, 1059, 2622
- Ludwig Fromm (1880), "Heinrich I. der Pilger, Fürst von Mecklenburg", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 11, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, p. 541
- Literature about Henry I, Lord of Mecklenburg in the State Bibliography (Landesbibliographie) of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Henry I, Lord of MecklenburgBorn: c. 1230 Died: 2 January 1302
|Lord of Mecklenburg
1264-1275 and 1299-1302
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|