Born in Cambridge, Matthew was educated at St Paul's School and Trinity College, Cambridge. A Chaplain at Simla in 1877, he was appointed Archdeacon of Lahore in 1877. In 1888 he became Bishop of Lahore. An acclaimed preacher, he died in post, in Lahore, in 1898. He had become a Doctor of Divinity (DD).
- The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory, London, Hamilton & Co, 1889
- "Matthew, Henry James (MTW855HJ)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- The Times, Saturday, Dec 24, 1887; pg. 11; Issue 32264; col A From the London Gazette, Friday, Dec. 23. Whitehall
- The Clergy List 1879
- The Times, Saturday, Jan 07, 1888; pg. 10; Issue 32276; col F Consecration Of The Bishop Of Lahore
- E. Chatterton, A History of the Church of England in India since the early days of the East India Company, London, SPCK, 1924
- The Times, Wednesday, Mar 01, 1899; pg. 11; Issue 35765; col D Ecclesiastical Intelligence.
|Anglican Communion titles|
| Bishop of Lahore
|This article about an Anglican bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|