|Henry George Jarecki|
April 15, 1933 |
|Alma mater||Heidelberg University (MD 1957)|
|Occupation||Academic, psychiatrist, entrepreneur, and philanthropist|
Early life and career
Henry Jarecki was born into a Jewish family in Stettin, Germany, (now Szczecin, Poland), the son of Max Jarecki, a physician, and Gerda Kunstmann, the scion of a shipping family. As a child, he fled Nazi Germany for the United Kingdom and subsequently United States with his family.
Jarecki graduated from the Medical Faculty at Heidelberg University in 1957, and subsequently spent more than a decade as an academic, teaching at the Yale Medical School, and as a psychiatrist private practice New Haven, Connecticut, and at the Yale-New Haven Hospital. Jarecki remains an Adjunct Professor at Yale. With Dr. Thomas Detre, Jarecki was the author of Modern Psychiatric Treatment, a 733-page study of psychopharmacology therapies published in 1971. As an academic, he was author or co-author of a number of articles in the psychiatric field, notably about psychopharmacology, psychiatric units in general hospitals, combined amitriptyline/phenelzine poisoning, and drug addiction.
In 1967, Jarecki became involved with the London bullion house, Mocatta & Goldsmid, Ltd. In 1969, he established the American counterpart to Mocatta & Goldsmid, known as Mocatta Metals Corporation. In partnership initially with Hambros Bank and subsequently with Standard Chartered Bank, Jarecki managed the Mocatta Group until he sold his shares in the late 1980s. Jarecki’s activity in the bullion market was as a dealer in precious metals and particularly in options. He became a figure in the money markets when Mocatta became a principal counterparty to the Hunt Brothers in the Hunts' attempted silver corner of 1980. Mocatta & Goldsmid had previously been involved with stabilization of the markets under similar circumstances, such as the 1913 rescue of the Indian Specie Bank.
During his involvement with the Mocatta Group, Jarecki served as a director of the Futures Industry Association, the National Futures Association, COMEX, the Chicago Board of Trade, and the Chicago Metals board of trade, and was an adviser to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in the years following its establishment. Jarecki was also the founder of a number of other business ventures, notably Brody, White & Co., a brokerage firm that is now a part of Newedge Group.
Jarecki was known for pioneering the use of computers in the commodities markets, for making Mocatta the first prominent Wall Street firm to employ ethnic minority and female traders and for introducing exchange-traded options to the American futures markets.
Career as a producer
Henry Jarecki has also been a motion pictures and theater producer, with credits including Gardeners of Eden (2004), Cuba: Island of Music (2005), Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death (2007), The Third Wave (2008), Tyson (2009), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (2009), and A Streetcar Named Desire (2012). Jarecki also makes an appearance as himself in the Melvin Van Peebles biopic, How to Eat Your Watermelon in White Company (And Enjoy It) (2005).
Jarecki serves as Vice-Chairman of the Institute of International Education (IIE)' He is the founding Chairman of the IIE’s Scholar Rescue Fund about which he, with Daniela Kaisth, has written a book entitled Scholar Rescue in the Modern World.
In 2004, he co-founded the Gloria and Henry Jarecki School in Ratanakiri, Cambodia. Previously, he served as a trustee of the American Museum of Natural History and the Classical Theatre of Harlem.
Jarecki has been a member of the Advisory Council at the Department of German at Princeton University' and of the Department of Psychiatry at the Yale University School of Medicine. He presently serves as a Governor of H. Lavity Stoutt Community College in Tortola, British Virgin Islands, as a trustee of the Island Resources Foundation, and founded the British Virgin Islands' first youth center, the Youth Empowerment Project, in Tortola.
Via the Max-Jarecki-Foundation, Henry Jarecki spent about 60 Millions US-Dollars (in 2010 and the following years) for a new campus of Heidelberg's University.
Jarecki is the husband of Gloria Jarecki, formerly a film critic at Time magazine. Together, they "were nominated for the Travel Industry of America's Hall of Leaders for their environmental work in ecotourism on Guana Island." He is the father of four sons; the finance executive Thomas A. Jarecki, and the filmmakers Andrew Jarecki, Eugene Jarecki and Nicholas Jarecki. He is the brother of Dr. Richard W. Jarecki, also a physician and formerly on the faculty of the University of Heidelberg, who is noted for the development of statistical analysis of gambling facilities.
Jarecki has a home in Rye, New York and is also a part-time resident of the British Virgin Islands, where he owns two islands within the archipelago: Norman Island and Guana Island. Jarecki was made an honorary Belonger of the BVI.
In 1978, Jarecki bid on the former Stuyvesant Fish mansion at 19 Gramercy Park South on the corner of Irving Place in Manhattan, New York City, but was outbid. When the property – which has more than 37 rooms on six floors for over 18,000 square feet (1,700 m2) of living space – became available again in 2000, he was able to purchase it, with plans to use it as both a home and the headquarters of the family foundation, the Timber Falls Foundation.
Awards and honors
In 2005, the Futures Industry Association launched a "Hall of Fame" to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary and to honor "the accomplishments and recognize the significant contributions individuals have made to the futures and options industry". For his contribution to the industry, Jarecki was one of the initial 55 honorees, among whom were also Alan Greenspan, Senator Robert Dole and Leo Melamed.
On 22 May 2010, Bard College awarded Jarecki a Doctorate of Humane Letters degree, calling him, "One of the most respected voices in the US investment community today".
- Schoeneman, Deborah and Netburn, Deborah. "After Pining for It, Investor Jarecki Gets 19 Gramercy Park" New York Observer (December 24, 2000)
- Marquis Who's Who, Inc. 1999. Who's who in finance and industry 2000-2001. New Providence, N.J.: Marquis Who's Who. Page 401. – Who's Who
- http://www.fahnenversand.de/fotw/flags/de~hfk.html#wkun : Flags of the World – German Shipping Companies - W. Kunstmann Shipping of Stettin, Germany
- Shipbuilding and shipping record. 1922. The directory of shipowners, shipbuilders and marine engineers. London: Tothill Press.; Lloyd's register of shipping. 1901. London: Wyman and Sons.
- American Board of Medical Specialties. 1979. Directory of certified psychiatrists and neurologists. Chicago: Marquis Academic Media. Page 378.
- http://directory.yale.edu/phonebook/index.htm?Query=jarecki: Yale University Directory
- "Modern psychiatric treatment (Book, 1971)". [WorldCat.org]. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- http://psycnet.apa.org/?fa=main.doiLanding&uid=1964-08815-001 : American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. Vol 33(4),1963, 690-700.
- http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/summary/4/4/340 : Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1961;4(4):340-356.
- http://journals.lww.com/jonmd/Citation/1963/05000/Psychiatric_Services_in_General_Hospitals__A.8.aspx : The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease: May 1963 - Volume 136 - Issue 5 - ppg 475-484
- http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/120/2/189.pdf : COMBINED AMITRIPTYLINE AND PHENELZINE POISONING JARECKI Am J Psychiatry.1963; 120: 189
- Jarecki, H. "Should Drugs be Legalized?" Yale Psychiatric Quart., Vol 12. July 1989
- Streeter, W. J. 1984. The silver mania: an exposé of the causes of high price volatility of silver. Dordrecht, Holland: D. Reidel Pub. Co. Page 36
- Business Week, “Keith Smith: Gold’s Raging Bull.” June 22, 1987.
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2158965/ : Internet Movie Database – Henry Jarecki
- http://www.catwestend.com/artists/creative/dr_henry_jarecki/ : Novello Theatre, London. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof – Artists and Creative Team – Dr Henry G. Jarecki – Co-producer.
- http://www.futuresindustry.org/henry-g.-jarecki.asp : Futures Industry Association – Hall of Fame entry for Dr Henry G. Jarecki
- http://money.cnn.com/1999/02/01/deals/moviefone/ : CNN – Moviefone sale to AOL
- http://books.google.com/books?id=R3eMEZxHLBEC&pg=PA221&lpg=PA221&dq=cftc+jarecki&source=bl&ots=pBEbtw2LHR&sig=9-in6A0oBmd047ib-nd763BL8t8&hl=en&ei=XKIyS5omzpKUB4GR6JQH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=cftc%20jarecki&f=false : Google Books – preview of Melamed, Leo, and Bob Tamarkin. 1996. Leo Melamed: escape to the futures. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- http://www.newedgegroup.com/web/guest/about_us/our_company/history : History of the Newedge Group
- Van Peebles, Melvin. 1986. Bold money: a new way to play the options market. New York, NY: Warner Books.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “Understanding the Silver Market (Silver Threads Among the Gold)”. Euromoney, March 1979.
- Rowan, Roy. “Who Guards Whom at the Commodity Exchange?” Fortune. July 28, 1980.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “Silver Market Mechanics, Squeeze, Present Economics.” Silver Users Association. January 8, 1981.
- “Jarecki, Ex-Yale Professor, Now World Leader in Precious Metals.” The Psychiatric Times. February 1, 1986.
- Business Week. “Commodity Trading-From corn to call options, it's razzle-dazzle action at the Chicago Board of Trade.”. March 15, 1976.
- Business Week. “How To Trade in Commodities”.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “Will the Futures Exchange Links Work?” Euromoney. May 1985.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “A squeeze in silver: How likely?” Commodities Magazine. March 1981.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “Silver in backwardation? (or, The Last Contango)”. Euromoney. March 1973.
- Jarecki, Dr Henry G. “Speculation and the Silver Market”. Lugano Financial Times. June 22, 1983.
- http://sec.edgar-online.com/moviefone-inc/def-14a-proxy-statement-definitive/1998/04/30/Section4.aspx : Proxy Statement for Moviefone, Inc.
- http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/820 : Museum of Modern Art, New York City, NY, USA - Special Screening: Cuba, Island of Music
- Jarecki, Henry G., and Daniela Zane Kaisth. 2009. Scholar rescue in the modern world. New York: Institute of International Education.
- http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937184.html?categoryid=31&cs=1 : Variety magazine – Review - The Third Wave
- http://www.camnet.com.kh/cambodiaschools/school_map3/school_227_open.htm : The Cambodia Rural School Project - The Gloria and Henry Jarecki Special Skills School
- American Museum of Natural History. 1997. Annual report. New York: American Museum of Natural History, page 48. and in http://www.tiger21.com/Presenterdtl.aspx?ID=873 : TIGER 21
- Princeton University Register: http://www.princeton.edu/pub/register/advisorycouncils/
- http://www.irf.org/about/trustees.php : Islands Resources Foundation - Trustees
- http://www.ewire.com/display.cfm/Wire_ID/1072 - E-Wire press release – “Legendary Jean-Michel Cousteau Tours British Virgin Islands National Parks; Undertakes Physical Survey of BVI Marine Life”
- http://sec.edgar-online.com/moviefone-inc/def-14a-proxy-statement-definitive/1998/04/30/Section4.aspx - Moviefone, Inc. - Proxy Statement
- http://www.roulette-winning-secrets.com/ - Roulette Winning Secrets – Dr Richard Jarecki
- http://www.casinoplayer.com/archive/0105cp/legend.html - Casino Player – Dr Richard Jarecki
- http://www.iie.org/Content/NavigationMenu/About_IIE1/Governance/Board_of_Trustees1/BoardofTrustees.htm : International Institute of Education – Board of Trustees.
- http://www.scholarrescuefund.org/pages/about-us/board-of-directors.php : Scholar Rescue Fund – Board of Directors.
- Commencement Exercises, Bard College, 22nd May 2010. Text sourced from an online library of honorary degree certificates, http://honorarydegrees.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/dr-henry-g-jarecki/