Henry Jones (philosopher)
|Born||30 November 1852|
|Died||4 February 1922|
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow|
Sir Henry Jones, Welsh philosopher and academic.(30 November 1852 – 4 February 1922) was a
Jones was born in Llangernyw, now in Conwy County Borough, the son of a shoemaker. After working as an apprentice to his father, he studied at Bangor Normal College and became a teacher at Brynamman. Having decided to enter the Presbyterian ministry, he went to the University of Glasgow on a scholarship. After graduating, he obtained a fellowship, and went on to study at Oxford and in Germany. In 1882 he married a Scotswoman, and later returned to live in Scotland.
He was instrumental in the passing of the Welsh Intermediate Education Act 1889, and worked for the establishment of the University of Wales and the introduction of a penny rate for education. He was knighted in 1912. He was appointed Companion of Honour in 1922, shortly before his death.
Sir Henry Jones Memorial Prize
- Browning as a Philosophical and Religious Teacher (1891)
- A Critical Account of the Philosophy of Lotze (1895)
- The Immortality of the Soul in the Poems of Tennyson and Browning the Essex Hall Lecture for 1905 (1907) also online as a PDF file from the Unitarians UK website
- Idealism as a Practical Creed (1909)
- The Working Faith of the Social Reformer: and other essays (1910)
- Social Powers: three popular lectures on the environment, the press and the pulpit (1913)
- The Principles of Citizenship (1919)
- The Life and Philosophy of Edward Caird joint author with J H Muirhead (1921)
- A Faith that Enquires Gifford Lectures (1922)
- Old Memories: An Autobiography edited by Thomas Jones (1923)
- Essays on Literature and Education edited by H J W Hetherington (undated but perhaps 1924).
- John Anderson (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
- "No. 32563". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1921. p. 10716.
- Rashdall, H. (1910). Reviewed Work: Idealism as a Practical Creedby Henry Jones. International Journal of Ethics 21 (1): 107-110.
- Lindsay, A. D. (1926). The Idealism of Caird and Jones. Journal of Philosophical Studies 1 (2): 171-182.
- "University of Glasgow :: Story :: Prizes: Sir Henry Jones Memorial Prize". www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
- Welsh Biography Online
- Works by Henry Jones at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Henry Jones at Internet Archive
- Henry Jones biographical notes and download available from the Gifford Lectures website
- Sir Henry Jones Museum
- Sir Henry Jones Papers at Glasgow University Archives
- Portrait of Sir Henry Jones in the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery of the University of Glasgow.