7 July 1927 |
(Bachelor of Arts)
|Years active||1966 — present|
Henry Muganwa Kajura, commonly known as Henry Kajura (born 7 July 1927) is a Ugandan administrator and politician. He is the Second Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Service in the Cabinet of Uganda. He was appointed to those positions on 2 June 2006. He is also an ex-officio Member of Parliament, on account of his cabinet appointment. In the cabinet reshuffle of May 2009, and that of 27 May 2011, he retained both his cabinet positions.
Background and education
He was born on 7 July 1927, in Hoima District. He holds the degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA), from Makerere University, awarded when Uganda's oldest university was still affiliated with the University of London. He also has postgraduate qualifications in Administration, from Oxford University in the United Kingdom and in Management from the University of Wisconsin–Madison in the United States.
Henry Kajura's long career as a public servant goes back to 1966 when he worked as the Deputy General Manager in Uganda's central bank, the Bank of Uganda, serving in that capacity until 1967. Between 1967 and 1973, he served as Secretary of the East African Development Bank. From 1973 until 1978, during the Idi Amin regime, he served as the Chairman and Managing Director of Uganda Commercial Bank, the precursor to Stanbic Bank Uganda. He then served as Governor of the Bank of Uganda from 1978 until 1979. During the same period, he concurrently served as a Non Executive Director of the East African Development Bank.
From 1988 until 1989, he served as the Chairman of Local Council V (LC V), for Hoima District. He was appointed Minister of Trade & Industry, Natural Resources, Water & Mineral Development in 1989, serving in that capacity until 1998. Between 1998 and 2001, he served as Minister of Water, Lands & the Environment, after Trade & Industry was split off to form a separate ministry. He was appointed Third Deputy Prime Minister in 2002, serving in that capacity until 2005 when he was appointed Second Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Public Service, which is his current position. Kajura has been a member of Uganda's Cabinet, continuously since 1989.
- Mukasa, Henry (2 June 2006). "Cabinet Ministries Allocated". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 11 December 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Newvision Archive. "Full Cabinet List As At 18 February 2009". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 13 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Uganda State House (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- POU. "Profile of Kajura Henry Muganwa, Member of Parliament, Hoima Municipality, Hoima District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Archived from the original on 2016-09-26.
- Fred Kayizzi, and Amlan Tumusiime (28 March 2005). "I Have No Use for FDC - Museveni". New Vision (Kampala). Archived from the original on 21 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2015.